Sooooo long

Hitting the road

Jan 14, 2022
Brisbane
Same as mine, I made one to suit bit of fiddling though, the latch on mine came good once I gave everything a lube.....

The flippin' inconvenience for me of course is having to travel 45 mins each way to do any work on the van...no real time for being creative. I also fitted the upper fridge panel back in the other day with the t'stat operated exhaust fan attached. I'll only know how that goes on this trip away when the fridge gets down to temp and hopefully trips the thermostat...

The trips away will be when the creative juices can truly flow uninterrupted...especially while hydrating...:)

Reactions: Drover

macpanda

May 26, 2022
I'm back in the game picked this up last weekend I had a 17 then a 20 now I have in between 1858-2 I'm pretty happy so far time will tell tows a lot better than the 20 a heap less weight especially on the ball let the mods begin
Looking good! Just a question on the Anderson plug - I see the logic in running an Anderson plug to the fridge, but looks like you kept the 12 pin set up? I have a 7 pin on the tow rig and a 12 pin on the expanda, and was planning on running a separate Anderson plug on the tow rig and van (for the fridge). I am not sure if there is any point converting the 7 pin socket and wiring on the tow rig to a 12 pin if i am also running a new anderson lead for the fridge. I dont think i will be using any other points on the 12 pin in the future... What do others use this for?

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Looking good! Just a question on the Anderson plug - I see the logic in running an Anderson plug to the fridge, but looks like you kept the 12 pin set up? I have a 7 pin on the tow rig and a 12 pin on the expanda, and was planning on running a separate Anderson plug on the tow rig and van (for the fridge). I am not sure if there is any point converting the 7 pin socket and wiring on the tow rig to a 12 pin if i am also running a new anderson lead for the fridge. I dont think i will be using any other points on the 12 pin in the future... What do others use this for?
I got rid of the 12 pin on ours and use a 7 pin and a Anderson plug as you suggested
Our 12 pin melted around the positive pin that fed the fridge

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
What do others use this for
I'm the exception in that I started with the 12 pin, changed to anderson on the fridge, and changed back to the 12 pin. I do keep a close eye on the fridge pins because any corrosion or dirt will start the heat build up and inevitable melting.- but never had any issues so far.

The anderson gets used on occasion for direct connection to the caravan battery from my tug second battery and for reverse charging the ute with my portable solar. I do use the extra high current pins, 1 does ignition on sense for my fridge to switch over to 12v. If I could be bothered I would parallel 2 pins to supply the fridge...

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
Why did you go back ..... in my 17 the small fridge was fine in the 12 pin but the 2 door fridges have thick wires and the small pin connections which I didn't like the 20 I had nearly melted cause the wires wernt connected very well
Mostly being lazy. The anderson got knocked out a couple of times, and when on the road I use that anderson for other things. I do keep the 12 pin well maintained though - clean and the gap in the pin to keep it tight. Jayco uses a special pin crimp tail that reduces the wire to a suitable size for the 12 pin.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Certainly been a long time, hope the weather is okay for its maiden voyage............................... I would certainly check the annex before leaving though..

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
Well what do you know I may hopefully pick the van up Monday after near 2 months dropped it off 8th August lets hope I get it stay tuned don't hold your breath cause I'm not I know I'd die our first shake down trip will be Adelaide cup weekend had no time to use it defore haven't had the bloody thing got my annex made and delivered in the time it's been at the shop carnt Evan make sure that fits goodness me
So did you get it? Was it ready?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
So is it ALL sorted out now ????? check the hoses on the washing machine..........................

Reactions: Bluey

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Next mod get a lithium battery I've been looking bit more research I reckon
Have panadol handy as it will do your head Bluey, not all lithiums are equal, seems the cheapies are and the most expensive aren't much better, the secret is all in their individual BMS, some even don't like being connected to another so read the small print and don't believe the salesmans pitch.... lots of snake oil stuff I found when I went looking..... unless your using them 6 mths of the year I think not worth the money at the moment.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Have panadol handy as it will do your head Bluey, not all lithiums are equal, seems the cheapies are and the most expensive aren't much better, the secret is all in their individual BMS, some even don't like being connected to another so read the small print and don't believe the salesmans pitch.... lots of snake oil stuff I found when I went looking..... unless your using them 6 mths of the year I think not worth the money at the moment.
Could not agree with you more @Drover. And IF you do change over, go the FULL way. Just because some equipment is supposed to be "suitable" or "compatible" doesn't mean it is designed specifically to do the "proper" job to the full extent. You may get away with a partial change over if you have good technical knowledge and know what you are doing, but that method is far from a "set and forget" for most.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Go the full way ????
I have j35D jcontrol pannel thinking of going 170 amp ??
Will or do I need a dcdc charger I thought the van charges as I go along
Hi @Bluey , your lithium battery with 170ah capacity should cover most situations. Be aware that the BMPro35D does not provide DC-DC charging from tug alternator to the BMPro35D . So a low voltage from "smart" alternator will restrict charging to van battery. Also, any external solar panels must have their own solar regulators bypassed and be connected DIRECTLY to BMPro unit. Note also the higher LVD of BMPro35D for lithium battery is 12.0 volts, so don't panic when you see that voltage. The attached will provide more info for you and what to expect with this sophisticated unit.

Reactions: Bluey and mfexpanda

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Your set up @Bluey should keep things charged up so no need for a DC/DC charger as the BM Pro D series will take whatever feed it needs from any of the usual 3, Solar, 240 or your tug, (the tug feed goes to the AUX on the BM Pro) just plug the lithium in and away you go, you have enough solar to not need the others, shouldn't have to even look at things...... Your all good I reckon.......................... Just make sure the lithium will allow another to be hooked up to it and that it says so in writing not from the mouth of the salseman ............................................ If it doesn't work take it back to the lazy pricks who fitted it all up........

Just need to upgrade the credit card to a Platinum job as you feed that cruiser on your travels........... :becky: :becky: :becky:

Reactions: Bluey

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
So my annex I'm sure when you tell some companies now days I'm in no real rush just do a good job please don't rush it really means put the stuff in the corner ignore it walk around it for a while step over it build heaps of others rushing shoving them out the door .... while others are kept waiting for a job that not rushed that fits and well made that in the end dosnt fit .... then ask for payment hang on your not finished it's dosnt fit waited weeks for it to be fixed.... I haven't mentioned the company that would be poor form and open more trouble ....
Will I have it by Christmas who knows next time I get something done I will say hurry the chuck up I want it in week 2 at the most maybe then after rushing it may have a better out come and fit
Annexes what a pain they can be

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Boots in Action

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Annexes what a pain they can be

Not wrong there at all ............................................ This certainly hasn't been your year one little bit @Bluey, I would advise stay at home, current weather and road situation would certainly mean you would be driving into a fan full of trouble...........