Electrical Battery issue (i think)

Leeplant2003

Dec 31, 2021
Western Australia
Hi all,

I have a 2004 jayco freedom expanda. We have an internal battery and the lights (internal) used to work when the battery was on. Now they don't work, checked all fuses and all good. When rigged to mains the lights work and still work when unplugged from the mains - but I switch the battery off and then back on and they don't work.

Everything works fine when on mains power.

Thinking the battery maybe on its way but it powers the water pump.

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Lee

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well welcome to the group @Leeplant2003 , just need to know do you leave your van plugged into 240v when parked up ? as it could be a charging issue .

............. I would put it on a charger, not the van unit and make sure its all charged up properly ..... The best diagnostics can be made when the battery is known to be fully charged, most smart chargers will also show if its faulty..... Then we can start on tracing things....

Leeplant2003

Dec 31, 2021
Western Australia
Well welcome to the group @Leeplant2003 , just need to know do you leave your van plugged into 240v when parked up ? as it could be a charging issue .

............. I would put it on a charger, not the van unit and make sure its all charged up properly ..... The best diagnostics can be made when the battery is known to be fully charged, most smart chargers will also show if its faulty..... Then we can start on tracing things....
Hi Drover, we used it for a trip to Coral Bay in October but not since then. The van wasn't rigged up to mains whilst not in use. We've been in Margeraye River for 8 days now but obviously powering a few other things with the power via the van. I'll need to check the battery v when I get home tomorrow

Reactions: Drover

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hi

Hi BJM, I plan on doing this once I'm home tomorrow. Will keep you posted.
@Leeplant2003 , the following may apply to your situation regarding charging and carrying a load.

Batteries are a bit like motor car engines - they may idle okay without load (show acceptable voltage?) , but when you put on a reasonable load or give it some work to do - in your case try to use battery power without any 240 volt input as well -the engine shows its true colours and condition and stalls - no guts!! A good lesson for all. Always test battery under a good load and if voltage does not hold, or slowly gets lower and lower, then it is a fair indication that all is not well. The modern "smart" chargers do a great job in correctly charging all types of battery types but once battery has been left partially/fully discharged for a period of time , full recovery for proper operation is most unlikely. Also , although you can bring a battery up to speed overnight, for the battery to absorb a full charge and complete the maximum absorption process, it is preferable to leave on a "smart" charger for at least 48 hours for best results. "Smart" chargers will not overcharge battery like the old linear types. The attached is more info for you to absorb, so keep battery fully charged.

Attachments

• battery charging stages.jpg
    battery charging stages.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 169
  • Battery Maintenance.jpg
    Battery Maintenance.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 172