Awning set up

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
Hi all,

First bigger stay in the 16.49-2HL, and set up and space inside loving it compared to last year in a forward fold camp trailer.

Only gripe is I don't feel my awning is big enough or more likely I'm just not setting myself up properly enough. Fair bit if rain yesterday and it was quite heavy at stages coming in sideways and my TV was coping water on the folding picnic table, our chairs also got drenched.

Looking for some tips on how others set up and do their best to avoid the rain coming in without having fully enclosed annex walls etc. Was half thinking of maybe seeing if I can get some canvas ends made up for the awning but addi g that to the anti flap kit the middle curved pole and the front screen it will take me forever to pull down if I need to in a hurry should the wind pick right up.

Any little tips and pics of your set up would be much appreciated as I believe there is more rain forecasted for the next few days and if I can do a little to help keep some out that would be great.

On a side note I think I have to come to terms that I'll need to part with the cash and get storm covers as the bed ends were also quite wet

Thanks all
Geoff

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Been copping some good wind and rain these last few days myself, I have Aussie Traveller anti flap rails which hold the awning very well, expensive buggas which I only pull out for gusty days other wise I just use the single clamp and strap jobs, sideways rain I fit a side screen and a front screen which does keep most of it out, I have an annex but leave it at home too damn heavy and is a pain to use....

If you haven't re proofed your bed ends and/or have pillows etc against the canvas in the rain stuff will get wet, they are just like a tent..... I did find the privacy screen kept the rain off mine so long as its set up so nothing touches, slack canvas or screen will allow water to wick in.

To get a nice taught awning, pull out the awning, run out the upper arm into position, lift the lower arm to the height you want, then with the roller in the close position grab the arms at the junction and pull a bit, awning will tension up, if using bars then keep the barrel holes in the right spot, keep a hold and tighten the upper arm, awning should be nice and firm and won't flap around, then you can put your tie downs and anti flapper clamps on.................. have one side slightly higher than the other for run off..................

If you have to drop it in a hurry, always start on the downwind side, remove flappers/ropes/bars, drop lower arms, preferably together, if on your own drop the side into the wind first, then the wind is pushing down not lifting (on large awnings having someone to hold the tape and middle of roller is very handy) then drop upper arms and roll up to van with practice it stays together........... if unsure add tie downs including a rope over the top of awning and pegged down either side, otherwise it could get away from you and wrap over the van.....
Over time I have practiced quick fold ups, so I have the sequence down pat which has paid dividends when big storms have run in........

I could have added some pics of screens up but Ive packed them up for a sparrow fart departure in morning......

Reactions: garfield28

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
Thanks drover much appreciated mate. I'm still very inexperienced with set ups, the good, the bad etc
I'd love to get the wife to make the privacy screens for the bed as I was reading Cristy's thread yesterday where he made his own but I don't think they'd stop the rain like a storm cover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The privacy screens I had around our bed ends were made of the same stuff as the awning screens and did stop the rain, even some good gully raker storms but I did have it set so it didn't touch the canvas and was fairly taught............... a bit of fine tuning, too much and the lid would pull down..............

I can confirm my description of taking down the awning works as it was blowing a gutser here late arvo and I packed mine up,

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
The privacy screens I had around our bed ends were made of the same stuff as the awning screens and did stop the rain, even some good gully raker storms but I did have it set so it didn't touch the canvas and was fairly taught............... a bit of fine tuning, too much and the lid would pull down..............

I can confirm my description of taking down the awning works as it was blowing a gutser here late arvo and I packed mine up,

I might have to give the privacy screens a go then. Wish I'd did it before we came away as now I have the ugliest van/Expanda in the caravan park with a blue tarp draped over the bed ends. Maybe should have bought the wife's sewing machine with us and put her to work on them I meant Crusty's post too.

Anyone else had a crack at their own just buying shade cloth from Bunnings?

Thanks for the tips on pulling down the awning in strong wind hopefully I won't need to do it but will do I'm the order you set out if I do.

I'll post a pic of my set up shortly too. I bought a folding gazeebo to give us some more sheltered area I'd love to come up with a way I can close the gap between the awning and the gazeebo as the rain is coming through the gap.

Thanks
Geoff

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
We all have shared your fun.... Find a rig with a screen and measure up where the press studs are located or take a heap of pics, making one wouldn't be that difficult if you can get the details and have a sewing machine that will handle it, if I recal about 6 or 8 studs on too with a couple of tonneau cover loops around the bottom with some clips for the loops on the bed base. ..
Awning screens from Aldi are good, shop around for prices for the others as prices vary greatly for the same item, Coast to Coast or Camec can vary by heaps, Supercheap on special is good...

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
Sorry it took a few days but the internet has been bad here at times. On our way to town so here are some pics of my set up.

Attachments

• IMG20211229162145.jpg
    IMG20211229162145.jpg
    598.9 KB · Views: 212

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
The front

Attachments

• IMG20211229162155.jpg
    IMG20211229162155.jpg
    499.9 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG20211229162206.jpg
    IMG20211229162206.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 237

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
I thought I took some of the other end where I need to come up with something to stop the rain coming in onto our picnic table and TV but I'm missed that.

I will take some and post when the coverage allows

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I see you have anti flap rails, you could use full size van side screen, they have an angled top so you could hang it form the anti flap and times when you don't want to fit the anti flap just a spreader bar would door , just a thought..... seen a few Panda Gypsie camps in my travels so yours isn't along. a tent fly and okky straps would do the job as well while you ponder solutions.

You mustn't have bedding touching the inside of the canvas though even with a storm screen any condensation will cause damp inside......

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
Just dodged up this tarp for now to try and help keep out some of the rain coming through between the awning and the fold up gazeebo.

Those awning porch look the go. They fit in the sail track in the anti flap kit? Also are they custom made, I have the pop top can so imagine would be different to most of the standard ones if there is one.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG20220103150437.jpg
    IMG20220103150437.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG20220103150447.jpg
    IMG20220103150447.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 217
Reactions: Drover

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
As you can see, it is a pop top and it does fit the anti flap rail. There are actually two tracks in the AF rails so you can still fit another screen right under it if you wish. We cut a tarp with an angled top and Mrs CR stitched a rope into it and we slide that into one of the tracks which closes most of the end (front or back depending on weather direction).
2D11CE24-D449-454B-8BA3-F0EDAEF5F553.jpeg

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
As you can see, it is a pop top and it does fit the anti flap rail. There are actually two tracks in the AF rails so you can still fit another screen right under it if you wish. We cut a tarp with an angled top and Mrs CR stitched a rope into it and we slide that into one of the tracks which closes most of the end (front or back depending on weather direction).View attachment 68001
Thanks mate... I'll have to try and brainstorm the same sort of thing onto mine. I'm glad I can do something like that because we've had some periods of heavy rain and it comes through that area and you end up with nowhere to escape it and set up seats.

I think I need to work out something better for my outside TV so I can set my tea and coffee station up on it the table I have there now has been copping the water too and I've had to keep moving things and constantly wiping it down because of the water coming through into it.