20' Series About to take delivery

Lachy83

Mar 15, 2020
Geelong, Victoria
Brains trust....
I am 1 week from taking delivery of our new 20.64 expanda. From reading a lot of posts on this page and others about some unfortunate incidents of quality control on build. I’m wondering what would be the main things to check on handover. I am not walking away until I’m satisfied and after thorough inspection. Just seeking some pointers or info from all.. for your reference the additions to the stock build I have added:

Dual reversing cameras
Radio system
External picnic table
Washing machine
2 x 160 watt solar panels
2 x 100ah batteries
Tv antenna
Additional Anderson plugs front and rear
Extended a frame
External entertainment Unit
Extra fresh water tank
Natulis Instant hot water
External shower
Xtens outdoors annaxe and front L porch
Payload increase 600kg
Compressor dometic fridge
Slide out external kitchen.

Thanks in advance and happy camping

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Welcome and congrats on the purchase.
there will be other far more knowledgeable than me to offer advise but don’t let them rush you on handover. If you are not sure ask. Check all things that open and close do in fact open an close and latch shut. Check the roof from outside to make sure it isn’t overally wavy where water will pool. Check all taps on both mains pressure and water pump. Light the stove. Get them to show you how to use the grill. It wasn’t until after a few trips that I worked out there is a heat shield you need to pull out when using the grill to make toast. Turns out I was only using half the grill because of this shield.
Look for general cleanliness with no sawdust etc in the cupboards, no marks on the joinery etc.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Oh yeah agree with @MDS69 , an exciting time for sure, only ask for a morning handover dont accept after lunch they will be in a hurry and you cop the traffic, a proper one should be a few hours and tell them to have the fridge fired up the day before if possible, open and shut everything (twice) , run maibs water and pump water from each tap, even go so far togive the washing machine a run onthe tub clean cycle, then you willknow they have connected the hoses (something thats common not only with Jaycos either) and get them to show you how itall works, every bit. Good idea to read up so you know when they are just talking BS...run AC, stove the works and finally before you hook up and drive off check the wheelnuts...wouldnt be the first time wheels have fell off.....
My final bit of advice if you find sonething not right, even a loose hinge or misplaced label, DO NOT ACCEPT the "we will fix on first service" is just BS, you pay big $$$ for a fully finished product, as much as you want to play with it, dont as they will fob off and the first service canbe months away and be weeks from when you ring....this is not a Jayco thing they all do it even car blokes....

Also ask for hats and stubby holders if they dont have a pack to give you, the Jayco picnic blanket is very handy.

PS: ypu know what we like.......piccies and get away as soon as you can, somewhere close for a few days so you can sort it all out....I think many of us wpuld like to know how your HWS performs over time and the other gadgets....

Last edited:

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Ooh ooh I just thought of something. Van weights. You will want and ask for a weighbridge docket dated the day of or the day before handover. Jayco weigh it before it leaves the factory but if you are paying for an increased payload make sure you get it. Compare the weigh bridge docket against your compliance plate. There is so much to check at handover it can get a bit intimidating.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
DO NOT ACCEPT the "we will fix on first service" is just BS
That's a common one.

The issues Jayco can have is extensive. You're not guaranteed to get any, and if you do its likely to be only a few and that few is a bit of a roll of the dice. Rarely are they deal-breakers, and for piece of mind Jayco warranty is truly fantastic. Jayco dealers will often put up resistance to warranty issues, but by and large the warranty is far superior to the factory quality assurance. Whilst both good product and support is ideal, if I only get one Ill take the after sales support every day of the week. Many people, me included, have had substantial and expensive repairs carried out well after the documented warranty has expired. Jayco has made your exact van over and over and over again, so the likely issues will be just annoying details, and unlikely to be bigger design or structural flaws. Dont put too much pressure on yourself during the handover, its impossible to hear, absorb, and see everything.

It would be very difficult to list all the potential issues, the obvious ones IMO are to make sure you can use it this the next weekend, the things you'll be needing to use to enjoy the maiden voyage. Stove, aircon, heater, toilet, shower, water pump, batteries, all lighting, awning, corner jacks, fridge function (gas lights), hot water (gas lights), plumbing PLV (the mains water pressure will be very low, a super common Jayco issue because they use rubbish valves). TV antenna connection are another area where Jayco tend to use the same clueless halfwit on every 10th van

The best advice would be to take with you your most vocally obnoxious and opinionated mate who has no filter to handover. He will have no emotional attachment, love to pick $hit out of everything, have no rose coloured glasses, will hear a lot of the stuff you don't, and reduce the BS. We all have that mate, and in my case I am that mate.

I would organise a long weekend away as soon as possible and ensure (in writing if necessary) that they will address anything that you discover on the maiden voyage as a product failure and repair priority, and not a warranty issue. That's another big Jayco dealer favourite, and warranty work can be booked out for months. They tried that one on me, straight after a towed the van home when I rang with some issues that would stop us being able to use the van properly, the PLV was one of those issues. They tried to book in warranty inspection so I hung up, hitch the van up, towed the van back to the dealer, reversed the van up to the service dept blocking the door and demanded my money back. From that point on we we've been best of friends.

Enjoy the experience, its an exciting time for you. Whatever you miss will likely be insignificant and usually easily rectified.

Last edited:

Meandher

Jun 22, 2020
The Vines
We bought our 20.63 Outback brand new in 2013. The handover from Caravanland in Perth was both rushed and not very concise. Best advice is to not allow them to rush it. Take your time and do a better job than I did. They glossed over a lot of things and i paid the price for it in excessive issues post purchase. If i was ever to purchase another Jayco ( not that i ever would) i'd have a need to go though everything. I would take out every drawer and try every self tapping screw for "tightenability". Nearly every one ( okay, maybe hyperbole, but would be at least 50%)had been overtorqued, probably with an electric screwdriver, allowing the screw to spin in a ,now, 'baggy' hole. As a consequence almost every wide drawer fell off a runner and were either lolling unevenly to one side, or rolling around the back of the 'van. The small ones under the wardrobe were fine. I had to redrill and refit with a gauge larger screw in order to make the runners stay where they were supposed to . Drawers were rattly and had not been adjusted properly by handover. I ended up doing it myself, but it should not be necessary.
Same goes for the drain from the washing machine that goes into the pipe that leads the grey water through the floor of the van. It is awkward to get to and the factory basly bent the saddle clamp and stripped both screws that hold it on. Similarly, the tap that feeds water to the washing m/c. Two different screws used and both could not be tightened.
Get into the dark places with a torch, make sure you point out that they haven't cable tied the excessive cables that you are sure to find for any slideout. On second thoughts, you may not be able to see too much as you need to take out the drawer and remove the panel brace strengthener for it. You will see a dangly length of 240v cable that feeds the power point under the table. I cable tied mine up as it was an accident waiting to happen. There is more if you want to take your phone and make a short movie with the light on the phone by stick your arm up the hole where the, now removed, drawer is and pointing it over the aforementioned strengthener. You will see uncontrolled electrical spaghetti. While you are at it, check the10 screws that hold that panel on. At least half will have untightenable self tapping screws.
On the slideout, when the water connection goes awry ( it will - trust me) ask how you are supposed to get at it to change it, as the back of the water manifold box is impossible to get at without dismantling part of the lounge seat. Once they know that you know, then get them to modify the seat with a flap or a pull out section to allow you to get your arm in to hold a spanner on the union that is connected to the where you fit the hose. This will be a marriage saver, if you have to do this yourself.This is assuming they have not seen the error of their ways in the interim and already made the suggested modification.
If you intend to use an electric caravan mover, which you may if you have a difficult driveway like we have, please check that you don't have cocky don't be rude welding on the jockey wheel mount. Ours peeled itself off the drawbar sending the towbar end crashing to the ground with a sickening thud. The penetration of weld was woeful and most definitely originally done by an apprentice. Shoddy and downright dangerous. Any doubts, just reject it, refuse to take it home and have them do it properly.
Get under the van and check the runs of cable and hosing. Ours was woeful. Electrical cables made off with a connector and a cursory wrap around with lecky tape that just fell off in short order. Check where the hoses and cables go through the floor and make sure they have sealed them. A lot of ours weren't and it caused ingress of road dust and a little bit of water. Not much to be honest, but for what these things cost, even a little is too much. If you have saggy cables get them to put on more cable ties or you will have to do it yourself.
Make sure the grommet where they pass the cables through on the draw bar is in place. On ours they had too many cables and not a big enough grommet and it was about to wear through cables until i noticed it was unable to sit in the chassis rail and was chafing.
Hatch lids under the bed have lifting handles, as does the one on the washing machine. These will break. See if you can con them into giving you a full set free. You will need them at some point and you will have to buy them. Unacceptable quality of manufacture issue.
Make sure the radio aeriel sits vertically, as you cannot get in the back to adjust it. Force it and you will break the really fragile crappy alloy they are made of. If they have left it just short of the horizontal, get them to adjust it to the vertical. I broke mine trying to adjust and had to devise something else to jerry rig. Looks don't be rude, but works fine.
Make sure that your wheelnuts are tight, as someone else suggested, but also make sure that they have not been overtightened either. Could not get mine off with the wheelbrace Jayco supplied and had to resort to a breaker bar and a piece of pipe to shift them. Fine in your driveway, not so good if you are stuck on the side of the road when it is pissing down with rain and you have a flat.
Check the caravan door lock. The barrel fell out of ours first trip.
Hopefully our unit was just a lemon that sneaked through QA unchecked. It totally coloured our experience in the wrong shade of cack brown. We will do one shortish 3 month trip from next month and will trade it now that we are talking of doing a big lap. I am guessing you are paying $80K-ish for yours. That is a substantial wedge of cash that you need to get value for money on.
Caveat Emptor. Any doubts, don't tow it home until you are satisfied. I found that getting Jayco to do anything, once money had been transferred, to be virtually impossible.

Last edited:

Lachy83

Mar 15, 2020
Geelong, Victoria
Thanks for the extensive reply. I will take note of all of the above. Would it be worth employing a independent inspector to conduct an assessment on my behalf with me there? I have seen some people commenting to do that.
I bought at a good time at the caravan show and just at start of Covid. I have pretty good neg skills and got a pretty rediculous deal on my additions, being not much more than the stock 69k mark

Thanks again for taking the time to comment

Meandher

Jun 22, 2020
The Vines
Lachy83

I was having a fair bit of trouble with mine and tried to get an independent caravan repairer to inspect and write me something as proof of issues. They really don't wish to get involved. It is a close knit business community here in the West and nobody wants to crap in their own nest.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
in case it has not already been mentioned, make sure you get a manual for EVERY item in the van: fridge, BmPro, JHub, stove, A/C, heater, HW, Heater, axles, awning, roof-top vent, radio, tv, etc, etc. There will be a manual for every single item that was not manufactured by Jayco.

cheers
Mike

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
To put it bluntly the caravan industry is run mostly by cowboys who treat most purchasers as mugs.This is bourne out by complaints to state consumer organisations etc,I have mates who have purchased so called quality vans over the last few years,all have had major problems with quality problems.It is not just a Jayco problem.Happy hour in any caravan park will soon bring out various van problems.Small and large.My 2015 Jayco Journey Outback poptop has had many quality issues.Which I have fixed.Fortunately none major.When the majority of the caravan industry accepts QC as a priority it will be a big day ! Have got a mate who has just gone away for a quick trip in a brand new Essential 18 footer ,he already has a few problems !Another friend just picked up a new Jayco nJourney Outback DX poptop on Saturday..Interesting to see if he has any problems after his first trip.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thanks for the extensive reply. I will take note of all of the above. Would it be worth employing a independent inspector to conduct an assessment on my behalf with me there? I have seen some people commenting to do that.
I bought at a good time at the caravan show and just at start of Covid. I have pretty good neg skills and got a pretty rediculous deal on my additions, being not much more than the stock 69k mark

Thanks again for taking the time to comment

Now while all the checks make it seem like a horror story, it really isn't but QC can bea problem, I wouldn't think you would need someone to oversee or do a mechanical on it, just a good look with a questioning eye and a good bit of knowledge, you do need to know how to operate things, intime you willget toknow your rig, look underneath before, during and after each trip, wash it, clean it then you get to know it and can spot problems before they happen, sometimes...
Screws in the woodwork actually have little to bite and crappy chipboard so will fail often,I like glue or no more gaps on the screw as I push it into place.
I have mates with a Supreme, New Age and a Jayco all have had their fridges come adrift when new and 2 with hoses not connected on washing machines, not to mention some of the most awful battery wiring you could find..........but its all part of the fun....Don't be discouraged, if your not a nuts and bolts person then look around for someone who is and does a good job on servicing, you may find that you will have less cause for warranty work and other problems, like cars a trusted responsible mechanic does a better job than a dealer.....

Reactions: Brente1982

Lachy83

Mar 15, 2020
Geelong, Victoria
@Lachy83 what did the charge you for the payload increase?
Hey mate sorry about the delay in response. I think about $300 i have checked my sheet and it all says no cost as they have just given me a total price. I got in a good time just after the show and at start of covid so i was able to negotiate price pretty hard. when i pick it up ill be able to see the original order sheet and let you know. cheers

Lachy83

Mar 15, 2020
Geelong, Victoria
Now while all the checks make it seem like a horror story, it really isn't but QC can bea problem, I wouldn't think you would need someone to oversee or do a mechanical on it, just a good look with a questioning eye and a good bit of knowledge, you do need to know how to operate things, intime you will get toknow your rig, look underneath before, during and after each trip, wash it, clean it then you get to know it and can spot problems before they happen, sometimes...
Screws in the woodwork actually have little to bite and crappy chipboard so will fail often,I like glue or no more gaps on the screw as I push it into place.
I have mates with a Supreme, New Age and a Jayco all have had their fridges come adrift when new and 2 with hoses not connected on washing machines, not to mention some of the most awful battery wiring you could find..........but its all part of the fun....Don't be discouraged, if your not a nuts and bolts person then look around for someone who is and does a good job on servicing, you may find that you will have less cause for warranty work and other problems, like cars a trusted responsible mechanic does a better job than a dealer.....

I have already been discouraged on taking it back to the dealer for service as their mark up on prices and labour prices are disgusting. The sales and the service sides of the business at Geelong I have been told are different. The sales side I have nothing but praise for, they have been excellent.
I asked about installation of a Truma Gas heating and sirocco fans. The prices they quoted me were laughable and i told them I gave just spent a heap here at Jayco Geelong and I am getting cheaper quotes from places i have no relationship with at all. I told them they would get any of my business post sales.
RANT OVER

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
I never used the dealer for warranty stuff. PDA in Maddington (WA) was happy to fix almost everything without question and
Mandurah Caravan Repair Centre did a big warranty water leak job at year 3 .

I found my 1yr fault list if that helps

Attachments

• Caravan repairs Jan 17.zip
    10.3 KB · Views: 349
Reactions: Drover and KECL

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
Hey mate sorry about the delay in response. I think about $300 i have checked my sheet and it all says no cost as they have just given me a total price. I got in a good time just after the show and at start of covid so i was able to negotiate price pretty hard. when i pick it up ill be able to see the original order sheet and let you know. cheers

Haha no dramas. All through covid they've been doing good deals. My order price was just over 8k cheaper than RRP + options

Lachy83

Mar 15, 2020
Geelong, Victoria
Thanks to all for your input I’m relation to my post. Handover today went smoothly and I raised all the points above and the staff were very helpful and I couldn’t see any issues. I have made sure and have it recorded that any issues I find in my few trips will be fixed as priority and as faults rather than warranty and service jobs...
here she is arriving home... have a local trip planned this weekend then off to the Grampians next weekend.
Cheers again

Attachments

• 42B48628-6373-40C5-9C3F-13E9B023D829.jpeg
    42B48628-6373-40C5-9C3F-13E9B023D829.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 307
  • E91D6B1E-1B95-4C76-B9AE-A2FB53B30CA7.jpeg
    E91D6B1E-1B95-4C76-B9AE-A2FB53B30CA7.jpeg
    72.4 KB · Views: 268
  • 833E5918-87FE-4CF5-832F-11778139C0E2.jpeg
    833E5918-87FE-4CF5-832F-11778139C0E2.jpeg
    59.2 KB · Views: 287
  • A9529A0F-661E-49DF-A5D5-56BC90ECCC64.jpeg
    A9529A0F-661E-49DF-A5D5-56BC90ECCC64.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 297
  • A09F0D41-6259-46EB-989D-BE7BADA8ED5D.jpeg
    A09F0D41-6259-46EB-989D-BE7BADA8ED5D.jpeg
    72.4 KB · Views: 303
  • AC74BA88-1D4C-4BA6-A2B9-6D4D563DAB9A.jpeg
    AC74BA88-1D4C-4BA6-A2B9-6D4D563DAB9A.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 290
Reactions: Disco Duck

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Congratulations.

If you do have any issues with the van write each of them down and have a copy of the sheet for the service department.
We booked our Jayco Penguin in to get the three-month service and to attend to these warranty items. We also emailed the list to them prior to the service date.

The service department were very pleased and thanked me for giving them notice so they could have needed parts on hand and also for clearly documenting each item so they could easily put them into the service sheet.

When I picked up the van, they had a printed copy of the service sheet for me with a description of the action taken against each item.

They then took me out to the van and we went through each item to ensure I was happy with the action taken for each item.

I have since continued to have a good relationship with the service department.

I hope your experiences are also positive.

take care
Mike

Reactions: Boots in Action