79 Series or SR5

DWWood

Jun 26, 2016
Yarra Valley
Wondering if any of you wise souls tow your Jayco's with a 79 series cruiser or a Hi Lux and in turn what your opinions are?

Boss is a Toyota man and my current company car is a 150 series Prado which is due to be upgraded soon. I have been in negotiations trying to get back into a ute (absolutely nothing wrong with Prado, it's a great car it's just I'm a ute guy) and am trying to talk him into a 79 series twin cab GLX cruiser but at the same time I like the new SR5 Hi-Lux inside & out.

Anyone with reasons why not to buy one to?

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Dose the 79 have a v8 deisel then more towing and room i know what id want but are the v8 utes twin turbo like the normal cruisers ??????????

The 79 is single turbo.
But to the original question do you want auto or manual as the 79 is manual only.

DWWood

Jun 26, 2016
Yarra Valley
@Bluey single turbo V8 Diesel in the 79 whereas the 200 had the twin turbo. SR5 has the 2.8ltr turbo Diesel. Both state 3.5t towing.

@MDS69 manual or auto doesn't bother me. I love the ruggedness of the 79 but also like the moderate luxury in the SR5.

Just wondering if anyone has experience towing with them before I go joining a SR5 forum etc.

Cheers.

Reactions: MDS69

JaycoQ

Jan 7, 2013
Highton, Geelong, Vic
@Bluey single turbo V8 Diesel in the 79 whereas the 200 had the twin turbo. SR5 has the 2.8ltr turbo Diesel. Both state 3.5t towing.

@MDS69 manual or auto doesn't bother me. I love the ruggedness of the 79 but also like the moderate luxury in the SR5.

Just wondering if anyone has experience towing with them before I go joining a SR5 forum etc.

Cheers.

I had a 2010 76 series for a couple of years and towed with it. The wife has a 200 series and although both share the same v8 block. There is a huge difference in the way they drive and the engine refinement. I loved the 76, it was a bucklist car but touring it was very agricultural. The almost vertical front screen means lots of wind noise and the cabins aren't particularly sound proofed.
They do have tons of pulling power but the compromise is comfort. I sold it and bought a Ranger, which i can't fault.
Hope this helps.

DWWood

Jun 26, 2016
Yarra Valley
Yep @mfexpanda i think they had to keep up with the Ranger so they upped it to 3.5t however since speaking to a mate he had to fit a transmission cooler to his 2014 HI-Lux, hoping I won't have to do the same

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
one thing I just thought of

as it will be a company car (therefore Leased)

unless the Boss lets you get all conceivable options to it (winch bar / winch, spotlights, towing pack, window tinting, Diff Locks etc)
neither will be better or worse than the other

then the options would rule towards the Cruiser - just because there is more options for them

Reactions: Bluey and dagree

DWWood

Jun 26, 2016
Yarra Valley
@bigcol do tell, which would you pick?

Company cars are bought outright, not leased. He fits bullbars and UHF and it's up to us if we want to spend the extras on lights, tinting, racks etc. Of course those can be removed and sold once the vehicle is to be replaced.

Reactions: bigcol and Bluey

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
well, the first thing I would do with your new Cruiser would be replace the seats

from this (well, what everyone complains they feel like)
recaro-car-seat-1.jpg

to this

recaro-ls_2_recaro_leg_semi-bucket_seats-92c4b389d4.jpg

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
best thing about the Recaro's....................

you can take them out and fit them to your new vehicle all the time
a mate of mine brought a set in the early 80's - and he still has them - 5 cars later, been re-covered once by Recaro as well

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I guess it all depends on what you're towing. As you get up in van weights I'd be much more comfortable with the 79 than the Hilux. The 300kg extra GVM and a greater GCM will allow a bigger van. Personally, I wouldn't tow 3.5T with anything on the Australian market other than a Silverado, RAM, F350 etc

I'm not a Toyota fan so I personally wouldn't own either, but if it was forced upon me by my boss, I reckon a Hilux would be sooooooo much easier to live with day to day.

OT, it seems there's a few of us from the Yarra Valley now, one of our Illustrious leaders is also a local, I'm in Wandin and someone else, I think it's @ChrisU is also in Wandin
Good to see another Jeep owner out here too @WHHEMI

Last edited by a moderator: