4wd awning

macpanda

May 26, 2022
Hi all, we are heading in a 7 month trip around Australia is about a month with my wife and 2 kids 7 and 9. I am pretty new to 4wd ownership, but every second 4wd I see has an awning on the side. I can imagine this could come in handy, but I have never actually seen anyone use theirs. Any suggestions on whether they are worth getting? When do people use them?

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
We have one on our BT50 and don’t use it a lot. I have used it on the beach with @Drover and also when on our trip to the cape. It was handy for smoko stops especially if it was raining. It would come into its own if for any reason, you had to stop for a longer period and there was no shade.

Reactions: Drover and macpanda

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Ours rarely gets used while away but when we are on the beach its always used...... Instead of using pegs to hold it down I fill a shopping bag with sand as a hold down...... If you get one practice using it, if the wind gets up you don't want to stuff around.

Reactions: chartrock

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
There are also a lot of options, from covering one side to covering multiple sides. You may need to have a look where you need the shade/protection. For me with crew cab and fridge slide it would be good to have at least 1 side and back so I can access food and drinks. But as the others have said there may be other options. Sometimes we can carry things around for no reason. You may need to do some test trips (even day ones) to know how you want to travel.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hi all, we are heading in a 7 month trip around Australia is about a month with my wife and 2 kids 7 and 9. I am pretty new to 4wd ownership, but every second 4wd I see has an awning on the side. I can imagine this could come in handy, but I have never actually seen anyone use theirs. Any suggestions on whether they are worth getting? When do people use them?
@macpanda , I was out camping in my van recently, and had a camping neighbor nearby using a cantilevered awning on his Troopie. When extended out, it covered two sides including the back. Probably okay for a couple as coverage is limited from sun and rain, but certainly handy as couple had sophisticated setup inside Troopie for sleeping, fridge and food, some on slide-outs. But very vulnerable to winds unless well tied down . Certainly kept the couple dry whilst raining and gave them somewhere to sit undercover outside. Apparently, there are later models which fold into each section like a venetian blind. Massive fitting on corner of Troopie to hold unit and allow awning to pivot both forward and to the rear. Could be difficult to shut down (fold up) and then place into cover on side of vehicle in windy conditions. Suggest have a look at other campers setups and see how it can be done.

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
My son has one on this side of his 4WD and uses it to cover his swag where he sleeps. He has used it at the beach like others as well.
I also considered buying one, but not sure how often I would use it.

Mick

Mar 15, 2014
Victoria
My son is currently fitting a bushman xt 270 bat wing on his Triton it goes from the front all the way around the back with heaps of cover its free standing no polls easy to set up and put away but I don't know how well it would go in strong winds ???, although it has holes in the arm ends to put polls to peg if needed
not a cheap item but you can get cheaper ones.
bat wing awnings are easy and quick set up .
but I don't know how many time he will use it other than to cover his swag when camping.