3L Nissan Patrols..........

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I have seen on a few threads people asking how to get more out of their Patrols
so Im going to make a couple of suggestions, not everyone will like or agree, but they are after many many conversations with people who have far more knowledge that me
so I'm just passing it on.......

to get more out of your 3L Nissan patrol, you need to do any and ALL of the following
each will give a small gain, but as a whole, they will all improve your driving pleasure

3' Mandrel bent Exhaust
Catch Can
MAF Sensor clean and Blocking
bigger intercooler
Boost Gauge and Pyro (EGT's) gauge
new Chip setup
correct tyre pressures - trust me some dont even check them.........
change oil every 5000Km
new bigger turbo (UFI for preference)

if you have any comments or complaints, please let me know
the 3L (ZD30) is a very good engine if looked after properly, regular oil changes, proper servicing, etc

cheers

Reactions: Dandy and dagree

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
the early ZD30 and the later ones are different beasts
they made the sump larger, put in a longer dip stick on the later engine (2003 on I think)

VDJ200R

Jan 19, 2014
Perth
I had a 2003 Gu patrol for eight years with a chip, exhaust, bigger intercooler, catch can, Dawes valve , egr block, manual boost controller to Control spool up, intercooler fan and with 5000 km service's. This was all done to keep it reliable and to increase power but eventually found its limitations in towing. So I bought a 200 series :rockon: .

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
the early ZD30 and the later ones are different beasts
they made the sump larger, put in a longer dip stick on the later engine (2003 on I think)
Until they went common rail, they were still very much grenades and Nissan didnt want a bar of you.
Wouldnt a longer dipstick reduce the oil capacity :). Id rather alittle oil use than a blown motor anyday(the oil issue is long fixed now too)

VDJ200R

Jan 19, 2014
Perth
@bigcol I would be lucky to use 1 liter every 10 000km. For the sake of reliability I can live with that. Don't get me wrong I loved my patrol, had the strongest chassis and drive line of any 4x4 past or present but the ticking sound under the bonnet was starting to worry me when long distance touring. Especially when towing 2.3 ton which the 200 does with ease.
;)

Reactions: crackacoldie

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Until they went common rail, they were still very much grenades and Nissan didnt want a bar of you.
Wouldnt a longer dipstick reduce the oil capacity :). Id rather alittle oil use than a blown motor anyday(the oil issue is long fixed now too)

no, the early ZD30 - 1998-2001 had smaller sumps, and short dipsticks, after the amount that kept blowing
(which was over fueling and over boosting, as the owners never kept the MAF sensor clean - another story)

the common rail version was a good motor in its own right, and the "Grenade" was sorted by 2002
as @VDJ200R said, he had a Dawes Valve ( to keep the boost constant), as well as a catch can ( to help keep the MAF sensor clean)

have they finally fixed the 200 series use of oil ?- I know how to fix it, just Toyota Engineers haven't worked it out.

Reactions: Delano

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
The oil issue was only 1 litre every 10000kms, better than a $7k repair bill every 100 000 kms. Best advice @dagree , if you want a reliable and powerful patrol, sell it and buy Toyota.

too true, it was only 1L every service (but they never told you that) as long as you went to a Toyota Dealer for servicing - if you didnt, they refused to acknowledge that amount of oil use.........

also, have they sorted the $2K per injector replacement at every 100 000kms?
and the $16K for an injector pump after 240000Kms?

same same
toyota / nissan

both the V8 diesel of the cruiser and the 3L patrol motors were BOTH bad designs - both designed to use far better diesel than what is sold in Australia - hence both had problems

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
@bigcol I would be lucky to use 1 liter every 10 000km. For the sake of reliability I can live with that. Don't get me wrong I loved my patrol, had the strongest chassis and drive line of any 4x4 past or present but the ticking sound under the bonnet was starting to worry me when long distance touring. Especially when towing 2.3 ton which the 200 does with ease.
;)

I would tend to agree with you - if I had a 3L

but I dont, I have the best (slowest) engine ever built
4.2L turbo Intercooled Nissan - pulls like a 13 year old school boy........all day every day

I was going to replace my wife's 100 series with a 200 series, but the cost of the parts scares me to death
(in 10 years, I have replaced the Starter Motor twice in the Cruiser - who in their right mind puts a starter motor in the middle of the V of a V8.....?? and at $1200.00 + fitting, it is a real pain I can assure you)

and I have had WAY WAY more Cruisers than Patrols

if, as you say you had all the NADs (Nissan Anti Detonation) fixes fitted - I cannot see the reason for you to have been scared
they have been running them in the UN in Africa for years with out a problem

if you had said - I sold it to get the V8 diesel, cause it has more pulling power, and I hated to admit it - I could understand..........

BTW - I have known the ZD30's to go bang at 60,000K as well as some that did 500,000K and then went bang - I have not heard to date of one that went bang after the NADs had been fitted... I am ready to be corrected however.........

to each their own -this post was for the people who have the 3L patrol, and may have wanted to know how to gain extra grunt.....

200Series is way over priced for what it is
Range Rover is a better value for money, but a petrol engine will drink
Prado is too small internally if you want the size of a cruiser
Discovery is nice............

Reactions: Smirke and Delano

Dandy

Jan 18, 2014
Mine is a zd30 with a 3" exhaust and a roo systems chip. Also went with the EGR plate and catch can for reliability. Still have the snorkel to fit. Still have the standard turbo and inter cooler.

Reactions: cruza driver

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
part of the NADs is a Dawes Valve - to help stabilize the Boosting when under load

the standard Turbo and intercooler are ok, but you can unlock another 20% by getting the Cross country Intercooler - way way bigger, but so is the price
same with the Turbo - spend another $1500-2000 and get a bigger Turbo - is it worth it.........??? individual preference with that one

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
@bigcol, my comment was in jest. The only reason and I truely do mean ONLY reason, I didn't by a patrol was based on the comfort of the back seat for three kids.

I agree with the requirement to fit the "NADS", it is disappointing that you need to though. And with a few of my mates, the ones who have fitted all of the mods you mentioned, they have not had any issues, the ones without have all got new motors now.

For me, I'll stick with me 16 year old 105 that has only ever had services completed and, touch wood, never had a breakdown.

Reactions: Smirke and bigcol

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Latter 3l have popped just not as common. The other big failing of the 3l is the fuel pump. They have a lower than normal tolerance to crap than most CRDs or are just crap I don't know which but are poor.

I disagree the V8 cruiser motor is the wrong motor it could have some improvements to ancillaries (location)but it's torque and power is well matched to the chassis,

The only way I would have a patrol is the way my boss has done his last two. Remove the donk and install an LS1 or better. All the power and 12l per 100km when driven normal! $20k conversation.

Reactions: jvp

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I disagree the V8 cruiser motor is the wrong motor it could have some improvements to ancillaries (location)but it's torque and power is well matched to the chassis,

I didn't say its not the wrong motor
I'm saying - as you - that the location of the parts leave a lot to be desired

change a starter motor on a Patrol - 2 spanners and 1 hr.......
change a starter motor on a Toyota V8 - 1/2 your tool box and 11 hrs - (top cover, fuel rail, injector lines, ECU etc just to get at it, then replace them all again when you've replaced the Starter)

they are designed for the European market & their fuel - not for Australia and our crappy diesel

I can understand peoples hatred / frustration / desire so slag off any and all types of vehicles

same as a Jeep - 3.5t towing capacity and 10l/100
will it be like a cruiser or a patrol and still be able to do that when they are 20yrs old?
or are they like to Korean ones and be buggered after 10yrs?

time will tell