Electrical 3 way fridges must be level - see what happens when not correct

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Well this subject has been discussed at length in previous posts, but I came across the following link when talking with a friend about modifying his fridge in 2018 Hawk. This link is the best I have come across in pictures and great explanation of how an absorption fridge works, what happens when operated off level with excellent cutaway pictures of blocked percolator tube near boiler. While a lot of information on the link will be "ho-hum" for some experienced members, the pictures of the blocked tubes which are caused when fridge is operated for long periods off level is pretty sobering! Personally, I have seen two absorption fridges which failed because of that reason. Sure the burner fires up and the exhaust is hot, but not the tubes leading to the condenser or other absorber pipes. This blockage cannot be re-dissolved or removed once formed. And once any sort of sodium chromate crystal forms, it tends to attract any other loose particles moving past through the system. Lots of other important hints and tips are shown too.

A "must read" for newbies (a reminder for the so called experienced?) and something to be aware of when purchasing a pre-owned unit. You just don't know how the fridge has been used or abused.

And a final summing up well said!!!

Attachments

• Fridge level warning.jpg
    Fridge level warning.jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 472

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
How does bouncing down the road factor into this. If level'ness'ness is critical, then surely the fridge bouncing all about the place in transit cant be too helpful either

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
A similar things is happening in your diesel engine with the pollution gear it has fitted, it is slowly choking the engine, sadly more chance your engine will succumb than your 3 way fridge to this event..................

Reactions: Bluey

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Does anyone know how long it takes for the crystals to form in an off level fridge?

Hi @RickB , as no one has had a go at responding to your question, I thought I would give it a go in simple terms for you. Firstly, "how long is a piece of string?". It all depends.........!!

In a heat absorption fridge, it will depend on time used off level, the degree of off level and the amount of heat applied to the refrigerant whilst off level, or stuck in the one place and not moved about. If you boil any liquid that has chemicals in it, it tends to bubble about and the chemical laden liquid gets splashed onto the sides of the hot container. So it is no longer in solution with the liquid and just dries out as a powdery coating. As more and more chemical is spread around and separated from the boiling liquid, it builds and builds and crystals are formed. That would not be so bad if the coating was even all over (would take a lot longer to build up!) but I remember from my chemistry classes, that once a crystal forms, it tends to gather all the other "loose" particles in solution around it, and so increases in size at a greater rate. Eventually, it absorbs so much that it tends to form a large lump and decreases the concentration of the liquid from whence it came, unless solution concentration is maintained. As seen on the link provided, in a small (percolator) tube near the boiler, there is plenty of heat and not much room for the flow to move a concentrated solution. Other areas of possible low flow and coating of crystal build up can also occur at the top of the boiler tube just before the condenser. Here the super heated ammonia GAS has been separated from any liquid (water vapour as steam) and so greater potential for sodium chromate powder coating to build up as crystals (dried out from the water vapour) and restrict ammonia GAS flow.

I have had two different experiences (not personal) with friends who have stuffed up their 3 way fridges because of use in being too far out of level too often!! One was a relatively new 40 litre? size that was only just over 2 years' old and was in excellent condition too. Tried the old trick of "burping" (turning fridge upside down, left side down, right side down for hours - not working of course - even overnight!) before trying again on 240 volt power and gas too. But while the boiler tube got hot as expected, the condenser did not, although I did succeed in getting the heat in the tube closer to the condenser.

And the other one was in a larger unit in a motor home that friend had bought second hand. He said it was working? okay for a while and suddenly stopped getting any cold at all. In fact, the freezer showed some slight WARMING! After checking all controls, settings and cleaning up boiler area (240 volt elements and gas burner and chimney), managed to get lots of heat and great gas flame in boiler and a little way up towards the condenser, but failed to get condenser even warm. Even after removing fridge from van and trying the "burping" trick, no luck. Friend was totally unaware of potential failure when his motor home and fridge were off level. He said he just pulled up in a spot that looked good and never gave "levelling" his motor home a thought. Leveling blocks for the wheels to be run up on to, was too difficult! Hence he paid the price - maybe not all his fault?), but had to replace his fridge which I was able to help him install. Tough way to learn.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Its amazing how many people will park at an angle and not be bothered, something I get OCD about I like level.................... The other thing is folk that can't be bothered reading the manual on there caravan or car equipment, I have found its a wonderful way of getting the information as most of the RV gear have informative manuals, except for the chinese rubbish.....the fridge installation and operating books are particularly good.

Reactions: Boots in Action