Electrical 2006 Jayco Expanda Outback wiring schematic

Liam

Nov 9, 2014
Hi all,
Firstly great forum plenty of helpful information. Im wondering if anyone has a wiring diagram for a 2006 Jayco expanda outback. In particular the wiring for the 3 way fridge. Im pretty electrical savvy, but just after a bit of info before I look at my brother in laws van.
His fridge isn't working on 12V. There is no power at the terminal block near the fridge. Does anyone know how the 12v of the fridge is wired. Is it wired through a relay that energises with the car on?

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
Hi all,
Im wondering if anyone has a wiring diagram for a 2006 Jayco expanda outback.

As far as i know jayco have never supplied wiring diagrams for their vans. We certainly didn't get one with ours.

There is no power at the terminal block near the fridge.

With the smaller fridges jayco usually runs a single wire to charge the van battery and power the fridge.
With the larger fridges (150ltr and up) jayco usually run separate wires for the fridge and battery via a 12pin trailer plug.

The fridge is usually isolated from the van battery so will have no power on 12v without the van connected to the car (and running).

Does anyone know how the 12v of the fridge is wired. Is it wired through a relay that energises with the car on?

That is probably the most common way it is done. but there is really no true standard way. sometime fridges will be powered through an Anderson plug as well.

Have a look at these posts for some info
Setec wiring
3way fridge

Liam

Nov 9, 2014
Does anyone know the current draw on the small fridges when running on 12v. I would expect it to be a bit. Is there any problems with those 7 pin flat trailer plugs melting or getting hot.
My plan was to have the trailer plug switch a relay which then allows the fridge to run from the caravan battery which is charged through a Anderson plug to the car. So relay is only energised when the car is on and running.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Usually your fridge is isolated from the van battery , this is because a 3 way fridge will kill your battery in under 30mins.
If you have a 7 pin plug on your van the fridge power wire won't be connected, the wire will be in the harness .
If you have a 12pin plug on van then fridge will be powered, depending on your vehicle though a new cable may need to be run for the power to your fridge as the vehicle cable may not be good enough, this can be routed thru the 12 pin plug or via an anderson, mine is thru the 12 pin and no dramas.
If you want to run your fridge, while driving on 12v, don't expect it to be anything more than keeping the status quo and you will need to fit a " fridge switch" to your van so that when you stop and shut down you will be able to restart your engine, if your go walkies for an hour your battery could be flat as a tack.
I've fitted a 30amp relay which is activated by the park lights, stop, turn lights off and fridge turns off. easy as and is mounted just behind the fridge vent.
You need to run your fridge on 240 for 24hrs before you head off so it gets to an operating temp before you roll, if you just load the fridge then hook up and run it on 12v you basically have a food warmer.

With the fridge working fully on 240 then you head off you hardly even need to run it on 12v for the time your on the road so don't go doing expensive, complicated rewiring for something thats not really worth it. 240 or gas when you camp up, running it off a battery with solar panel won't be much chop, if you want that set up get an Engel.

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
I've fitted a 30amp relay which is activated by the park lights, stop, turn lights off and fridge turns off. easy as and is mounted just behind the fridge vent.
Hey @Drover that is a cheap and effective way to switch the fridge power.

@Liam the 90 ltr fridges are shown on the dometic site as drawing up to 175w which would work out pretty close to 15A.

From the 90 ltr manual

fridge.png

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Actually isn't that in the manual and may be on a sticker on the back of fridge.

Oh and since my Jeep beeps like crazy if I leave the lights on when shutdown I don't forget about them.

Middo

Apr 25, 2014
Brisbane
One thing to remember when using the ignition switch method is that the fridge is now an additional starting load on the battery
Pete

Liam

Nov 9, 2014
That's similar to what I was doing except I was using using the aux wire on the trailer plug to energise the relay.