Electrical 12v Water Pump install

Frank

Feb 14, 2014
I am eager to fit a 12v water pump for use when not on mains water in our 2013 16.49.1 Expanda. Can anyone recommend a pump type and/or point me to an existing thread.
Cheers
Frank

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
@Frank, I thought all the vans have a 12v pump as you obviously need a water tank to have water when off mains. Do you just want to fit an extra one? There is a switch to turn the pump off and on so if it is off you wont get any water pumped. I don't know your model van but I'm sure one of our members will tell you where the switch and pump are located.

Frank

Feb 14, 2014
@Frank, I thought all the vans have a 12v pump as you obviously need a water tank to have water when off mains. Do you just want to fit an extra one? There is a switch to turn the pump off and on so if it is off you wont get any water pumped. I don't know your model van but I'm sure one of our members will tell you where the switch and pump are located.
Hi mate. The model van is a 16.49.1 2013 expanda and it certainly does not have a pump fitted. Without mains its the old hand pump tap... So I just want to fit a 12v pump that I can switch over to when running on battery if that makes sense.

Cheers
Frank

Reactions: chartrock

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Shurflo would be the brand of choice. They have a new model 4009. diaphram, dry priming, 11ltr/min. Pressure sensing. Around the $100ish

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
Hi Frank
I did the same to my 14 as well. got sick of the hand pump idea very quickly. some links below you might find helpful.

My 14 uses 12mm john guest for the pressure lines.
these are the fittings to suit.
As crusty recommended above I fitted a shurflo 4009 and have been very happy with it.
instructions on using the push on water fittings
As we have no hot water in our van I hooked the 12v pump up to the hot water side of our mains mixer tap. this has worked out well, you can get mains on the cold side and our tank on the hot side. I also fitted an external tap out near the mains one that jayco provided. It has been very handy when camping off grid to have access to the tank water outside.

ianm67

May 17, 2021
Rouse Hill
Hi Frank
I did the same to my 14 as well. got sick of the hand pump idea very quickly. some links below you might find helpful.

My 14 uses 12mm john guest for the pressure lines.
these are the fittings to suit.
As crusty recommended above I fitted a shurflo 4009 and have been very happy with it.
instructions on using the push on water fittings
As we have no hot water in our van I hooked the 12v pump up to the hot water side of our mains mixer tap. this has worked out well, you can get mains on the cold side and our tank on the hot side. I also fitted an external tap out near the mains one that jayco provided. It has been very handy when camping off grid to have access to the tank water outside.
boots I want to install a 12v pump on my 2017 Expanda too. Have you any pics of the work you have done including the 12v power install.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
boots I want to install a 12v pump on my 2017 Expanda too. Have you any pics of the work you have done including the 12v power install.
Hi @ianm67 and welcome to the forum. I have not heard or seen @boots33 for many months. I do not know if he is still on this forum. Unfortunately, I cannot help you even though my call sign is similar. However, someone else on this forum may be able to help you.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Yes @ianm67, boots33 has not been on the forum for 3-4 years. I know he sold his 14’ van at least 4 years ago and bought a hard floor camper when his kids stopped going camping, enabling him to go further off road than the Jayco allowed.

ianm67

May 17, 2021
Rouse Hill
I have now completed the shurflo 4009 pump installation for off grid camping with 12mm John Guest fittings , dual battery mod, internal USB charging points x 2, Internal Anderson point for 12v Oven connection with a DC 12V To DC 13.8V Step Up Power Supply Converter, Reverse camera install, 3000-6000 inverter install, 2nd external tap install for off grid use (Connected to the shurflo 12v pump), under slinging of the axle and gained about 10cm of height also shocks installed.

So quite a bit of work done ready for our first trip after bloody Covid lock down......

Last edited: