12V Fan

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good 12V fan for an Expanda. Obviously the Expands are different in setup to other caravans so finding a fan that isn't too thirsty on the battery but can be put up/taken down quickly enough but also give good airflow.

Any ideas of a fan to suit would be awesome.

Thanks
Geoff

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
This is my budget choice. Fairly quiet, high air volume, low current, and only $30 on ebay. I have 2 that get used all the time in warm weather. Tried the bladed versions but the cheap ones are noisy and the good ones too expensive for me

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 191

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have a Sirocco, was a gift as they are bluddy expensive but are really fantastic and I don't think you will beat them for power use and very, very quiet and when I sell Big Mal the fan won't be part of the deal.................. In fact I may buy another, with my own money...... still overpriced though but a few places with them under $200...

Reactions: mfexpanda

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
This is my budget choice. Fairly quiet, high air volume, low current, and only $30 on ebay. I have 2 that get used all the time in warm weather. Tried the bladed versions but the cheap ones are noisy and the good ones too expensive for me
Thanks for the reply.

Where do you sit that ? I had a look and cannot seem to see them on eBay. When you say low current draw do you know roughly how much it is pulling?
Thanks

I have a Sirocco, was a gift as they are bluddy expensive but are really fantastic and I don't think you will beat them for power use and very, very quiet and when I sell Big Mal the fan won't be part of the deal.................. In fact I may buy another, with my own money...... still overpriced though but a few places with them under $200...

Thanks for the reply drover. I'd love a couple mate and I know they're supposed to be really good but I just don't think any 12v fan should cost above $200

Are you in an Expanda? If so where have you mounted it? I really like the ebay 12v ceiling fans, they are cheap and throw a fair bit of air about too but I had them in the old camp trailer which had a bar in the middle of us both, different layout to the Expanda.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
@garfield28 , no expanda now but it would depend on layout anyway, I agree with your views on price, I can't recall the power draw but I know when I did a real world test it was miniscule on the Sirocco................... Someone on here should be able to point you to pics of their fan fitment as many have done the job .......

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/393621775315 is an example

The motor is 7w so about .5 amps on full go.

Ours sit on the bed or kitchen bench during a hot day and on our little table tops at the end of our (starcraft) bed. I think the base could be easily modified to slide over a wall screw - by drilling 2 holes and enlarging one to fit over the screw head

Reactions: Drover

garfield28

Jun 28, 2021
NSW
@garfield28 , no expanda now but it would depend on layout anyway, I agree with your views on price, I can't recall the power draw but I know when I did a real world test it was miniscule on the Sirocco................... Someone on here should be able to point you to pics of their fan fitment as many have done the job .......

Yeah it's a real shame that they are asking that much for them. I could probably at a pinch pay $100 but even then I'd be really hesitant

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/393621775315 is an example

The motor is 7w so about .5 amps on full go.

Ours sit on the bed or kitchen bench during a hot day and on our little table tops at the end of our (starcraft) bed. I think the base could be easily modified to slide over a wall screw - by drilling 2 holes and enlarging one to fit over the screw head

Thanks, I'll look them up... by the looks of it they are in China so more than likely wouldn't be here before we go away at Christmas

Hi,
I have attached the manual for the Sirocco II fan.

It has three speed settings and the current draw on 12V is 0.12A, 0.22A, or 0.35A depending on the speed setting.

https://www.caravansplus.com.au/pdf/Sirocco-manual.pdf

take care
Mike

Thanks for the info, but I won't pay that much for a 12v fan.

found this while browsing

Thanks Jazz. I know they exist but for me I just don't see how that thing could possibly keep us cool nor give out much airflow for the Mrs and I. I could hog it all for myself but I don't think I'd be real popular lol