Zone RV caravans.. Marine grade tech to the van world

The Wadamses

Jan 13, 2014
Tassie (near Launceston)
They've been building high performance yachts for a while, caravans for only the last couple, but have just upped-the-ante by introducing lightweight composite internal paneling in their cabinetry as well as the super-light weight, waterproof shells upon which they've built their reputation.
Because fairly new, not a whole lot on the internet yet, but certainly looks promising and sounds exciting.

The net-based walk through (and external walk-around) of one of their vans is very tricky; link below.
Anyone heard or know anything??

Marketing spiel from Zone RV with walk-around link follows:

Zone RV’s technology in rugged, lightweight and advanced manufacturing techniques we are excited to announce the next generation in Australian built off road and touring caravans. This focus has been brought on by the popularity in our custom touring and off road caravans and also by the number of flat pack customers who have ended up commissioning our team at Zone RV to finish the installation of components and finishing details.

We are transitioning into releasing a range of touring and off road model caravans from 16.6 to 21.6 ft, and we will still hold custom build lines and progress manufacturing the exciting new custom RV’s, off road trucks, slide-ons and toy haulers. All of the mentioned models will incorporate Zone’s unique lightweight technology that is utilised in the aeronautical and high-end marine industry with a new internal composite cabinetry system reducing the tare weights considerably.

The new standard model range are fully loaded with quality components and all the gear to provide comfort, independence and remote travelling confidence - the Zone RV technology is standard in both the touring and off road options - in the following sizes:

16.6 - Single axle - CHECK OUT THE 3D WALKTHROUGH HERE OF THE 16.6 OFF ROAD

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Didn't look too bad inside. It froze on me so wasn't able to see what it looked liked on the outside.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
I think you need to walk out the door.. They look good.. Looked at them on the net before.
Be interesting what the price is with compliance and appliances ends up being.
Re-sale your probably not that good I have seen a few custom built vans for sale which sit there for ages.

There is a lot of overheads for a caravan place that builds them fully. Be interesting to see how this sort of thing goes

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
This mob is just down the road from our place, I actually take the bike for a scream from home to their round a bout and back sometimes (except they just changed the speed limit to 80K from 100) :-( I was really keen but once you ad up the fit out it was more expensive than the Sterling by a considerable amount unfortunately, but I love the composite idea and may just end up with one eventually. I often see them with a new one at the weigh-bridge across the road from home as well.

Reactions: The Wadamses

The Wadamses

Jan 13, 2014
Tassie (near Launceston)
Thanks for the feedback, guys.
We sort-of looked at them before, but they were largely only doing flat-pack DIY jobs then, and we weren't 100% clear on what we wanted.
Now that we are, will send them everything we're after and see what the story is.
Have no idea what to expect price-wise, so will be interesting to see what they quote.
I really like the composite build too, and it may just be the difference between us being able to tow a triple-bunk van happily with the Pajero too, and not have to change vehicles like we were thinking we might have to..

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
They sound a bit like a spec home builder. What you want it fitted out as well and wired, well that'll be an extra $$$$$$$$ thanks.

Not a bad concept but it'd be a nightmare for warranty issues.

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Geeez I dunno, since virtually stripping the Jayco and trawling over the available pics and write ups on the Zone I feel I should have given it more of a look. I came across the "special" they built and it has 1500KG load capacity, with something like 300 litres of water storage, now that's sensible (yes it was valued at 150K but all the same wow)

Reactions: The Wadamses