Yet another heater

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I always said I'd never have a heater in a caravan as the reverse air should be sufficient......

It's not so I'm now looking for something while I eat my words.

(We froze last week and the aircon wasn't up to the job without feeling like a plane about to take off)

so....I've come across a Swift Ecotherm....uses gas or electricity and works with the hot water system.

Has anyone looked at these ...or tried them?

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Sounds interesting @Dobbie, hydronic heating is arguable the most comfortable home heating.

Not sure that little passive van heating unit would be effective enough when it's really cold particularly in a tent end van .... but who knows, may be awesome.

WHHEMI

Jan 18, 2016
Yarra Valley
Do you want to run it on gas or 240v, I was talking to someone that has one and if on gas the hws will cut in to heat up the water every 2 or 3 hours, where is your hws in relation to your bed, ours is right next to it and wakes us up if left on over night so we decided against one and got a deisel heater instead, we free camp all the time and also wanted to use the gas for hws, fridge and cooking and deisel for heating. Deisel is also cheaper than gas to buy especialy in remote areas.

Reactions: bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Thanks for that.....I'm home so I'm warmer and, with time, will forget how cold I was.

If it needs the hot water system to be on constantly I'll give it a miss....for noise and annoyance. Ours is only ever turned on for showers so that heater might just drive me to drink.

Our hot water unit is under the seat in the dining area and the extra heater would fit it next to it but I'm now considering a dimplex type portable oil heater, for the few times we'll need it. Or just freeze.

A pity as my quick reading about it seemed to suggest it might be a solution for us.

Thanks for the feedback. I just saved some $$$$

Reactions: WHHEMI

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Thanks for that.....I'm home so I'm warmer and, with time, will forget how cold I was.

If it needs the hot water system to be on constantly I'll give it a miss....for noise and annoyance. Ours is only ever turned on for showers so that heater might just drive me to drink.

Our hot water unit is under the seat in the dining area and the extra heater would fit it next to it but I'm now considering a dimplex type portable oil heater, for the few times we'll need it. Or just freeze.

A pity as my quick reading about it seemed to suggest it might be a solution for us.

Thanks for the feedback. I just saved some $$$$
Big W sell little mini type oil heaters, that fit in a cupboard. We had one in the 16ft Expanda. Our ceramic blow heaters are faster, more heat, virtually silent ... and most importantly cheap

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
we had our ceramic going at bright -3 outside left it on overnight got up and turned it off as too hot in van :)

I keep looking at heaters although until we start going places without 240v not sure its worth the $

That definately makes sense.....I'm going to look into buying flanalette pyjamas....do they still make them?

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
we had our ceramic going at bright -3 outside left it on overnight got up and turned it off as too hot in van :)

I keep looking at heaters although until we start going places without 240v not sure its worth the $
The benefits of not having a large pair of canvas undies hanging off the end of the van where I sleep.

Reactions: davemc and bigcol

norm walker 1

Jul 17, 2016
huonville tasmania
I always said I'd never have a heater in a caravan as the reverse air should be sufficient......

It's not so I'm now looking for something while I eat my words.

(We froze last week and the aircon wasn't up to the job without feeling like a plane about to take off)

so....I've come across a Swift Ecotherm....uses gas or electricity and works with the hot water system.

Has anyone looked at these ...or tried them?
I BITTER A DIESEL HEATER IN MY 17-55-3 LOVE IT

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Aggghhh but you live in cold Tassie not sunny Qld, hence my hesitation. If I lived and camped more in colder areas, I'd certainly be fitting a diesel heater ....but I don't and only ponder on it after an occasional freezing experience.

I hate fitting (and paying for) something I'll use only on odd occasions.

Now waiting for the end of season sales for a onesie.....I guess they'll throw them on the pile as they're soooooo attractive!