18' Series Winter

Sweet Pea

Apr 9, 2015
New South Wales
Hi Norm we're travelling just at the start of spring, leaving somewhere between September 2nd to 4th but we're preparing the caravan now. We live in a very cold climate so we figure wherever we go can not be as cold as where we live so we're not too worried about the cold.

We are leaving Sydney and will travel right down the east coast and along the great ocean road then hopefully back to Sydney via broken hill. We our changing our trip slightly as our daughter has decided to join us for the first 10 days so the itinary is still a work in progress.

Where are you planning to travel?

And when do you leave and how long is your trip?

Cheers Karen.

ChrisFatboySydney

Feb 29, 2016
Sydney
Hi all where are you doing for winter I am getting my 15.55.3 discrovery ready for some winter camping the diesel heater will get a bit of a work out travel safe all

I did my first winter camp last week in mudgee where it got to -5.8 degrees overnight and couldn't be happier with my van.

It's a 20.64 so has the hard top and the ibis reverse cycle aircon and the only bit that was cold was the bed ends - you could feel the cold coming in via the canvas. We have storm covers on which help but an extra blanket was really all that we needed.

Without power (and hence no aircon) would be a problem but a gas or diesel van heater would fix that for free camping. I have a gas heater on my list if we keep going out over winter.

Ck

norm walker 1

Jul 17, 2016
huonville tasmania
Hi Norm we're travelling just at the start of spring, leaving somewhere between September 2nd to 4th but we're preparing the caravan now. We live in a very cold climate so we figure wherever we go can not be as cold as where we live so we're not too worried about the cold.

We are leaving Sydney and will travel right down the east coast and along the great ocean road then hopefully back to Sydney via broken hill. We our changing our trip slightly as our daughter has decided to join us for the first 10 days so the itinary is still a work in progress.

Where are you planning to travel?

And when do you leave and how long is your trip?

Cheers Karen.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Big Mal could be spotted cruising from QLD to Canberra mid August, good test of the Mosquito Deterent Device (MDD), while there may be no Mossies around the by product is lots of heat...............if you see a Coromal with a white Ensign flying off it, run away it's probably me....No Yaks packed this trip so @Crusty181 won't find me.

Reactions: Crusty181

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I did my first winter camp last week in mudgee where it got to -5.8 degrees overnight and couldn't be happier with my van.

It's a 20.64 so has the hard top and the ibis reverse cycle aircon and the only bit that was cold was the bed ends - you could feel the cold coming in via the canvas. We have storm covers on which help but an extra blanket was really all that we needed.

Without power (and hence no aircon) would be a problem but a gas or diesel van heater would fix that for free camping. I have a gas heater on my list if we keep going out over winter.

Ck
Your lucky @ChrisFatboySydney, we have a 20.63 with the Ibis model before yours and our Ibis, on heat, poops itself at around 1 or 2 deg. We found that out the hard way, at a group meet when the temp plummeted to zero, and the 3 of us nearly died. (I could swear there was 4 of us that left home, oh well) That trip was our motivation to get the diesel heater .... which I bought the Monday after that weekend.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Big Mal could be spotted cruising from QLD to Canberra mid August, good test of the Mosquito Deterent Device (MDD), while there may be no Mossies around the by product is lots of heat...............if you see a Coromal with a white Ensign flying off it, run away it's probably me....No Yaks packed this trip so @Crusty181 won't find me.
I found you before, Ill find you again.

Your heading to Canberra?? You need BS Deterrent ... in commercial quantities.

Reactions: G Daddy and Drover