Electrical Winegard digital television signal strength meter problem

Max Wallace

Jul 5, 2015
Blue Mountains
We recently went to a caravan park and were informed that in order to have television reception we would need to use the caravan park's aerial system, which necessitated installing an aerial cable directly to the park system, which they did for us and the television worked fine. However, after leaving the park we noticed that the Winegard (RFL-342 Sensar Pro) was not showing a signal strength, although it would light up but only with green dashes in the windows, and would not scan. I do not know whether the unit is repairable or what has caused this problem, other than to perhaps suspect that when the park staff installed the cable for us the amplifier unit was not initially switch to the 'park cable' mode. Any suggestions as to how to fix this would be very much appreciated.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Is that trialling it in an area where you know there is a signal ???? I will have to read up on these units as not familiar but does sound like the amplified signal from the park system upset the amplifier on the van unit which needs to be switched off, if you can still get a station it may mean just the signal meter part has failed so will just have to do it the old fashioned way, look where everyone else has it pointed.

I see they are about $140..

I'll see what i can work out, making and fixing aerials is a bit of a hobby for me.

Last edited:

Max Wallace

Jul 5, 2015
Blue Mountains
Is that trialling it in an area where you know there is a signal ???? I will have to read up on these units as not familiar but does sound like the amplified signal from the park system upset the amplifier on the van unit which needs to be switched off, if you can still get a station it may mean just the signal meter part has failed so will just have to do it the old fashioned way, look where everyone else has it pointed.

I see they are about $140..

I'll see what i can work out, making and fixing aerials is a bit of a hobby for me.

Thanks Drover for your response. I have now rectified the problem and the system is now back up and running. It was a bit of a trap, with one aerial tech who looked at it suggested that the unit should be replaced, which cost around $117.00 just at purchase.
Regards

Reactions: Drover

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
do it the old fashioned way, look where everyone else has it pointed
I always have a look at the TV aerials on the office or managers residence, or secondly the cabin accommodation. Never ever the other vans. Im pretty sure that back in 1974 someone who camp there wound up their van aerial and pointed it randomly. Everyone else in the 44 years since has perpetually just copied each other .... wrongly; and complained continually

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I always have a look at the TV aerials on the office or managers residence, or secondly the cabin accommodation. Never ever the other vans. Im pretty sure that back in 1974 someone who camp there wound up their van aerial and pointed it randomly. Everyone else in the 44 years since has perpetually just copied each other .... wrongly; and complained continually

What about when free camping ???? drive to nearest town and look where they are pointing ?????/

With the rubbish on the idiot box now really not worth the effort..................go fish feeding instead....

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
What about when free camping ???? drive to nearest town and look where they are pointing ?????/
Satellite @Drover ...... you know that ;)

With the rubbish on the idiot box now really not worth the effort..................go fish feeding instead.... /
As for the rubbish on TV, you might want to take the opportunity to watch a few of the many fishing programs, you know, just to remind you what fish look like :boink:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I set my dish up without any fancy stuff just an old prismatic compass, I know what fish look like, sort of golden colour with a white paper coat, my fish feeding boat is to help out the Victorian Tourists and some bloke from up north that poachers in my bay.

Fish shows will be all thats on on the Shed 50" now that FTA has lost the cricket........................

I have an old Wingard in the shed which I should set up on the roof, topic for the Barbie...............

Reactions: Crusty181