WHICH BULL BAR

4wdphil

Jul 21, 2013
Geelong
Hi Guys.

Need a little help in choosing which bar to fit to my Colorado.
I need a full bar as I will be doing some out back travelling..
I do like the look of the single hoop bars especially the Rhino bar but I don't think it is suitable for my needs.

So I have narrowed it down to the ARB summit bar and the TJM outback bar.

Below it the ARB offering

Holden_Colorado_1.jpg

Below is the TJM offering but with out the scrub bars

tjm-32.jpg

As my Colorado is white I will be getting a black bar.

The ARB bar looks a little boxy and it has a crumple zone built into the bar whilst the TJM does not have this feature.
I have owned a ARB bar before and it was great but I do like the look of the TJM.
Any body got any experience with the TJM bar.

Any advice welcome.
I am wanting to put a deposit down this month.

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: cruza driver

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
If it was on looks ARB any day the other one makes it look like a BT 50 or somthing dont like the slanty bars in the middle so its arb for me

Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
As a Colorado driver I have a Holden Bar but I like the ARB, the TJM has that Dame Edna look like the BT bars.

Have you done your springs ?? the original stuff is too soft and will sag with a steel bar.

4wdphil

Jul 21, 2013
Geelong
Thanks for the votes.
In regards to the springs I am going to be doing a suspension upgrade which will also include a GVM and CVM upgrade. The CVM will go up to 7t and the GVM will increase to 3.5t. This is going to be done at State Wide 4X4 in Melbourne. Luckily when you increase the GVM on the Colorado they also increase the CVM - plated and all.
Any way back to the bar. I do like the look of the Rhino bar but it is not a full bar and as I will be doing a bit of night driving I think a full bar would be better protection.
So looks like ARB is the one to go for. Previously I had an ARB bar and I could not fault it.

I am open to any other suggestions.

Thanks

Reactions: Bluey

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Ha, better add an extra fuel tank if your going to be up near those weights, mine towing at 6ton once just ate the fuel. Get your auto serviced around 40,000km by a proper auto tech and it will last the distance as well if towing a lot.

4wdphil

Jul 21, 2013
Geelong
Ha, better add an extra fuel tank if your going to be up near those weights, mine towing at 6ton once just ate the fuel. Get your auto serviced around 40,000km by a proper auto tech and it will last the distance as well if towing a lot.
Hi Drover.
Thanks for the advice.
my set up is right on the 6t and I use about 16L/100km, and I travel at 100km/hr (actual not speedo reading).
I have also had the ecu remapped by the guys at Geelong Performance Centre. I now have 430nm of torque and 140kw at the rear wheels which is similar or just less than a 200 series cruiser. Prior to the ecu upgrade the Colorado was putting out 385nm and 113kw at the rear wheels, so there has been a dramatic change. It tows so much better especially with 3t on the back.
I need to do the GVM upgrade as I am right on the limit at the moment and I need to put a few extras on the car.
I wanted a 79 series dual cab cruiser but the wife would not let me get one as they are so dam expensive, but in saying that I can not complain about the Colorado.

Thanks
Phil