Where did I come from ??

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
WayBack.jpg

Jump in your Tardis, Way Back Machine or DeLorean, start up the scanner and dig out the old photo albums; go back to the beginning and post some early pics of your camping history. The early days of the path that eventually lead you here

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
.....A great idea Bruce...here's a few pics spanning 60 years of camping..............most involved 4x4's and the combination continues from a tarp on the ground all the way up to a Big Van.......................

Way back in the 50's with my Dad...............................camping02.jpg.......classic wooden van, Humber as a tug i think.
.........camping01.jpg...Wandering around with a tin hat and groundsheet....70's......bare bones camping I can tell you.

....Up in a NP behind Nowra, tents, kids and Landy......camping03.jpg..........and hundreds of camps made with a Nissan G 60, FJ55 Cruiser, a couple of Jeeps , thousands of Kms travelled then swapped the tents for an Expanda and now have Big Mal and a Colorado............

Mal.jpg ....the journey continues...................................................

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have a great shot of me having a shower on Teewah beach 20 odd years ago just can't find it, it is truly up there with a Crusty bum shot, an awesome photo.......I just can't find it...!!!!!!!

Reactions: bigcol and Bluey

KECL

Aug 16, 2016
Secret Harbour WA
.....A great idea Bruce...here's a few pics spanning 60 years of camping..............most involved 4x4's and the combination continues from a tarp on the ground all the way up to a Big Van.......................

Way back in the 50's with my Dad...............................View attachment 57066.......classic wooden van, Humber as a tug i think.
.........View attachment 57067...Wandering around with a tin hat and groundsheet....70's......bare bones camping I can tell you.

....Up in a NP behind Nowra, tents, kids and Landy......View attachment 57068..........and hundreds of camps made with a Nissan G 60, FJ55 Cruiser, a couple of Jeeps , thousands of Kms travelled then swapped the tents for an Expanda and now have Big Mal and a Colorado............

View attachment 57069 ....the journey continues...................................................
Looks like a RAN right arm rate - possibly QMG on the photo? I am ex-RAN myself and remember the QMG rates (if indeed it is a RAN rate).

Reactions: Drover

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland

Way back in the 50's with my Dad...............................View attachment 57066.......classic wooden van, Humber as a tug i think.
.........View attachment 57067...Wandering around with a tin hat and groundsheet....70's......bare bones camping I can tell you.

....Up in a NP behind Nowra, tents, kids and Landy......View attachment 57068..........and hundreds of camps made with a Nissan G 60, FJ55 Cruiser, a couple of Jeeps , thousands of Kms travelled then swapped the tents for an Expanda and now have Big Mal and a Colorado............

View attachment 57069 ....the journey continues...................................................

Hi @Drover , noticed in your shot of 70s bare bones camping that you have on your right sleeve a "crossed rifles " insignia. That is only awarded to fine marksman in the military who are good shots. Did you earn them or pay someone? I will keep that in mind when I cross your path in the future , so you can be assured I will stay on your good side all the time!!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Hi @Drover , noticed in your shot of 70s bare bones camping that you have on your right sleeve a "crossed rifles " insignia. That is only awarded to fine marksman in the military who are good shots.

They are actually crossed cannons signifying that I am of the Gunnery Branch, of the QMG variety, not worn on this uniform but only on my dress uniform was a set of gold embroided crossed rifles on my lower sleeve signifying Marksman, which some 45 yrs later I can still get a 1" group with various things that go bang..................................................
Did you earn them or pay someone?
You are allowed one (1) you have used yours.............................

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Looks like a RAN right arm rate - possibly QMG on the photo? I am ex-RAN myself and remember the QMG rates (if indeed it is a RAN rate).

Yes KECL, they are QMG and most definately Aussie Pussers............Gunnery rates all gone by the way nowadays, another world.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
They are actually crossed cannons signifying that I am of the Gunnery Branch, of the QMG variety, not worn on this uniform but only on my dress uniform was a set of gold embroided crossed rifles on my lower sleeve signifying Marksman, which some 45 yrs later I can still get a 1" group with various things that go bang..................................................

You are allowed one (1) you have used yours.............................

Hi @Drover , thanks for tidying that up. Looks like I will be dodging and weaving a fair bit in the future when you are around. And thanks for the "one" chance. Ooopppss - well off target thread now!! Is that why the guys in the butts are waving the spotting disc backwards and forwards across the target area. Time for me to get out of here!!! Adieu good sir.

Reactions: chartrock

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Most certainly is time to get back on topic.............c'mon folks what a great thread to add to.........................................@crackacoldie reminded us of a great thread on his, add some pics and a few words..............surely some great memories to share.

PS: @Boots in Action .......The sign of a professional is your never dodging when he taps you as your not aware he's there.............but if you get up this way I could throw wet sand balls at you...lol.

Last edited:

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
My first caravan - Lunar Arriane 1994 from memory- back in the UK.
Back then, it had shower and cassette toilet, ducted heating, 6 berth (front table converted to double with 2 bunks in rear with dividing door), all for about 900kg. Sold it to buy my speedboat in 1997 - still have the same boat.

Attachments

• IMG_6182.PNG
    IMG_6182.PNG
    981.5 KB · Views: 232

megcam

Never camped with my family as a kid. I thought this set up was awesome circa 1997 at Double Island Point.
img20180304_09520851.jpg

Our first camping trip with kids I realised we needed a trailer to fit all the stuff in.

1-RIMG0021.JPG

So next purchase was a camper trailer.

2-P1000794.JPG

Then we decided a caravan would be nice.

13-DSCN0645.jpg

To be continued....

Last edited:
Reactions: Drover