Wheel Bearings

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Has anyone checked there wheel bearings since getting there Expanda new ? Jayco say they dont repack them till the 10,000km service :confused:

When I had my Outback Hawk I repacked them after approx 1,000km and I'm glad I did as one side was fine but the other had enough grease but was over adjusted. I just repacked them anyway so I knew it was done properly :D

I'm about to do the same to the Expanda so I'll let you know how they are.

Cheers Cruza

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Ok I just worked out how many km's our Expanda has done since getting it 4 days before Christmas 2010. We have towed it for 2560 km so I thought its time to have a look at the wheel bearings and check there adjustment.

The adustment was spot on which is a good start so I pulled the brake drum off to make sure there was plenty of grease in there and also to make sure the hub seal is ok and not letting any grease get onto the brakes, this was also fine.

I thought I would check these thinks out as you just never know

I took a couple of pics also for those that are interested. The grease still looked nice and clean with no discolouring and you could tell the original colour of the grease used. I still decided to repack the bearings anyway just to make sure. :rolleyes: I'm fussy :D

The tools I used, I usually use side cutters for the split pin but I couldn't find them :confused:
005.jpg

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I did the LHS 1st and it looked promising when I pulled the bearing cap off as there was evidence of clean grease and plenty of it
002.jpg
With the brake drum removed
003.jpg
I didnt get any pics of the repacking as I was up to my elbows in grease, but when I adjust the wheel bearings I usually refit the wheel to spin over the wheel to circulate any excess grease and adjust accordingly
004.jpg

The RHS was exactly the same so I wont bore you with pics but I was happy with what I found