Exterior What to look out for when purchasing 2nd hand 18.58-2 outback.

MarcellusWallace

Nov 28, 2016
Burleigh Heads
Hi guys,

I've put a holding deposit down on the 18ft expanda outback pending inspection. It's a 2016 model with the shower and toilet. Apparently it's only been used once. The inside is immaculate however there is some markings on the outside that would suggest otherwise.
Just after some tips on what to look out for.

Thanks in advance!

Scrounger

Oct 7, 2016
Shoalhaven
Hi,
I have a 18.58-2 and love it
I would hope the van you are looking at has an extended draw bar, it's essential on my opinion.
Get under it and look UP, most people don't think to look UP, so they don't clean UP, look around the hard to get to spots up besides the tanks, back of the breaks and if concerned drop the spare wheel no one cleans that.
Check the canvas ends for dirt ,ware, pinching damaged seals.
Pull the toilet caste out of the housing and check inside one trip it should be Pristine.
Pull the fridge vents off top and bottom and have a look inside some dust is OK but not to much, and NO water marks.
Check the tyre wear not easy but doable.
You should have a Gut feeling if its a Bad van and if you doubt it, Don't bye it.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Tops of bed ends for stains from water on the canvas if its leaked there at all inside wheel arches used twice should be not be overly battered in there oh see if the water connection leaks when connected most do mine doing well this trip

MarcellusWallace

Nov 28, 2016
Burleigh Heads
Thanks heaps for the reply guys.
Upon inspection it turned out to be in awesome condition.
The only downside is that it doesn't have the extended draw bar.
I've done some measurements with my tow vehicle and I can easily open the rear door with the bed end out. Though I Can't fit a decent tool box now.
Any big perks with the larger draw bar other than storage and ease of reversing??

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Depends on whether the price is attactive. Any van driven out of the dealers drops in value immediately but, buying second hand, its the extras that often make it attractive.

A thorough inspection should include opening and closing all doors...they have a habit of being fitted with smaller screws ...and the operation of hw system, toilet, all lights, air con and the gas operation of the fridge.

If your door opens ok when hitched, that's a bonus. Not everyone has or needs a toolbox so that should be ok. Extended draw bar is s help for reversing, as said, and for adding stuff but, if you're ok without it, you could gain by a reduced price.

Good luck with it...I'd add ESC if it's not already fitted.

Reactions: dagree and Drover