14' Series What size box on a 14.44.4 with Twin Rear wheel carrier ?

Walker

May 19, 2017
South aystralia
Hi all.

Help needed.

We have a 2014 14.44.4 with a tow vehicle 2005 4.2 patrol.

The patrol has a Kaymar twin wheel carrier on the rear.

We want to put a storage box on the Expander. Has anyone found a box that fits and lets you still access the rear of the car?

Originally we were looking ar a box 1600 x 500 x500 but then access to the rear becomes too tight.

Thanks in advance.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I would do some measuring, with van hooked up I would drop a plumb line from centre of the rear of the tyre rack and mark that on the draw bar, then measure from the middle of tow ball to outer edge of tug, measure that distance from the earlier mark on draw bar and mark an arc, anything outside that arc shouldn't get hit by your vehicle when you turn, so in theory whats left between the arc and the van is the size of the box you can have, the aspect changes when driving thu dips slightly.......this will also show once you measure door swing if your doors will open but most important to keep stuff out of the turn zone.

Well thats how to do it if the wheels hang further back than the tow ball, if not then delete the plumb bob bit just go from measure from tow ball...

Reactions: Walker

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
welcome to the forum @Walker

it depends also on if your draw bar is extended or not
(standard draw bar is like 750-850mm from memory
I dont have twin wheel carriers, but do have a Patrol and the doors are nowhere near touching anything - I do have a Treg hitch though, so that may be the reason

as drover said,
hook up the Van, drop a plumb bob from the edge of the wheels(on the carrier) to the draw bar. mark that spot
then measure the total width of the tyres on the carrier, find the middle, then from the mark on the draw bar, measure the distance in an arc on the draw bar (of the distance from center or mark to outer edge of tyre). mark where it crosses the chassis. that is the outer limit you can have anything without the tyres hitting it.
the distance from the front of the Van to your mark is the widest you can go with a box............

remember, you WONT always jack knife the Van in normal usage, but it can sometimes happen

alexvk2

Nov 30, 2016
Sydney
Hi all.

Help needed.

We have a 2014 14.44.4 with a tow vehicle 2005 4.2 patrol.

The patrol has a Kaymar twin wheel carrier on the rear.

We want to put a storage box on the Expander. Has anyone found a box that fits and lets you still access the rear of the car?

Originally we were looking ar a box 1600 x 500 x500 but then access to the rear becomes too tight.

Thanks in advance.
I fitted at 400X400X960 alloy box to my 14.44.5 2015 OB regular size A frame - be careful of clearance under bed also blocking your jockey wheel winder. I had to turn the gas bottle mount 180 deg so the clips were to the rear to get enough clearance for winder - a 500mm box would not have worked without changing the winder arrangement - wider box will also limit backing in tight situations