Chassis What is your chosen Hitch set up (poll)

What is your hitch set up

• Total voters

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
After some 50,000kms with a Trigg or treg hitch, whatever one I have, I'm going for a McHitch more versatile and easier to hook up, Treg gives a reliable coupling, better shock absorbtion than a ball any day and great articulation on the worst dip or driveway but a McHitch is just like hooking up a 40footer, easy, peasy.............and gives the same flexibility in situations that a ball couldn't.....you don't need to go off road.
Neither of them will pop off either.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Might be awhile, other things keep cropping up to spend my meager dollars on but have been looking at other rigs as they hook and unhook and the McHitch looks by far the easiest and have only heard good reports from fellas about them, they all reckon that like my treg hitch you never hear or feel a thing from it, but to just back onto the coupling and bingo your hooked up wins me.

Reactions: Holden_man

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
This might seem trivial, but if I fit a Mchitch how does my trusty dealer move the van around when its in for servicing?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
This might seem trivial, but if I fit a Mchitch how does my trusty dealer move the van around when its in for servicing?

You pay Big Money in the hope he will actually do something !!! so he should be able to work around that problem, which shouldn't be a hassle as he would just pop the pin and slot in the appropriate hitch.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
50MM ball, but did away with the HR WDH once we put the Lovels 3.8T GVM upgrade and PolyAirs into the LC200.

Upgraded to the DO35 before our central Aus strip in September '15 - will never look back - quietest towing and easy hitching.

Rohan

Reactions: Drover

swannie

Mar 20, 2016
Victoria
I love my Mchitch auto coupler

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 445
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 497

Disco Duck

Dec 8, 2017
Adelaide South Australia
I only use a 50mm ball on a Hayman hitch with the standard Discovery towbar
As it has self leveling suspension the Land Rover advice is not to use any WDH
I would like to try a WDH as I think it would steady things down abit around town. It is fine on the road when we get a bit of speed up. Settles down nicely
Can't use a WDH as the hitch sits too low and it would dig in on any serious dip

Vere

Oct 5, 2014
Adelaide
I only use a 50mm ball on a Hayman hitch with the standard Discovery towbar
As it has self leveling suspension the Land Rover advice is not to use any WDH
I would like to try a WDH as I think it would steady things down abit around town. It is fine on the road when we get a bit of speed up. Settles down nicely
Can't use a WDH as the hitch sits too low and it would dig in on any serious dip

If you decide you want to give it a trial run let me know. I have 2 sets so you can borrow one and see.

Disco Duck

Dec 8, 2017
Adelaide South Australia
Vere
Thank you for your kind offer. I do appreciate that
I do have a WDH as I bought the whole kit (which included the anti sway bar arm, but have not used the weight distribution bars yet.
The van is very stable on the road and rides well but it moves up and down a bit when traveling around in the "burbs"
I guess self leveling airbag suspension will do that to you?
Onya Vere !!

Vere

Oct 5, 2014
Adelaide
I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee with self levelling/adjustable suspension. Car sits and tows great but I find the WDH just seems to remove the slight floating feeling and make a more solid feeling. Nothing great but it does "feel" a little nicer

Andre307

May 18, 2016
Adelaide
I voted Alko, but have the new off-road ball coupling which is like a redesigned hyland. Really happy with it, easy to hitch up and release and more articulation then I’d dare test on the van.
Don’t use a WDH, but you can with it.
Also a plus not having to change tow tongues/couplings when using the van and standard trailers.

Crossy

Dec 3, 2017
Canberra
Andersen 'No Sway' WDH set up (50mm ball). Seems to work well but fitted when picked up new van so who really knows. I do know that there seems to be a lot less 'bounce' and I do like that don't have to remove when reversing. Tow rig is Pajero and tow ball weight over 200kg so Mitsi recommend WDH.
It is a bit less mucking round than the standard type WDH I had previously but can be a bit fiddly the first few times.
I like it so far and there no grease on the ball or fittings!!!

Reactions: Base23

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Since the above poll, we changed from a Pajero to a LC200 and since having the Toyota we have not needed or used a WDH with our McHitch.

The Pajero required the WDH towing anything over ~1300Kg Mitsubishi recommend a WDH. Toyota do not say anything about WDH, so tried towing without WDH and now 1½ years later and 20,000km of towing the WDH is still in the shed. The LC200 tows with the McHitch really well.

PS Admin do not know how to change my vote in the above poll?

Last edited: