Wet canvas, wet bed..

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
Our first wet trip away and bed got slightly wet. All I can say is as inconvenient as they could be sometimes, we never got wet in the old van with the flys down. We will definitely have to look at some canvas clip on weather protection. Hubby not worried, he slept on the inside! Keep the wife happy I say!:tape2:

randl007

Oct 27, 2011
Queensland
Our first wet trip away and bed got slightly wet. All I can say is as inconvenient as they could be sometimes, we never got wet in the old van with the flys down. We will definitely have to look at some canvas clip on weather protection. Hubby not worried, he slept on the inside! Keep the wife happy I say!:tape2:

Having looked into this alot and even stood in the rain watching the drips, if its the same as ours as the water drips off the hard lid it lands on the canvas and seeps through the seems. we have got Jayco to spray the sems with a canvas spray meant to stop this seepage. we shall see.Did you get any water on top of the bed end?

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011

Hi Guys did you season the canvas? Makes a big difference.

Feb 1, 2012
Open the ends up and hose them down, let it dry and do it all again.....several times. It helps the stitching contract and hopefully stop the wetness, however bedding against wet canvas can still result in wet bedding.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
^^^^^^^^^^^^

What NK said. You can also get canvas waterproofing and seem seleant but it's best not to let the canvas get wet first up.

randl007

Oct 27, 2011
Queensland
Haqving had a camper trsiler we did the wet, leave to dry however this seemed to fail when you have a drip on the seam. Hopefully the sealant will work

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
Hi everyone
Yes we did season the canvas. It seemed to been down the bottom and probably is from the hard lid dripping down. Ive got some designs in my head for a canvas type clip on fly but will have to seriously look into the design and get some quotes.
:spy:

ruandleigh

Jul 12, 2012
Bittern Victoria
Hi,
I'm new to this forum but we had the same troubles,
we got caught in a horrible storm and got sooo wet so when we came home.
I had an idea so I went to my local canvas guy and got him to make a canvas bed end, he used velcro and pop rivets on the lid and we just velcro our canvas around our bed end it is a bit longer than bed end
. We have 2 poles we support the lid because of the weight and we use guy ropes thru holes that are punched in seam of the canvas. So the result is the water runs down the canvas bed ends lovely and dry,we tested it when we got caught in the feb floods in cobram..Result bed ends dry everything else wet..
Thanx Ruandleigh

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Hi everyone
Yes we did season the canvas. It seemed to been down the bottom and probably is from the hard lid dripping down. Ive got some designs in my head for a canvas type clip on fly but will have to seriously look into the design and get some quotes.
:spy:

Hi Jenny have a look at this thread I have done my covers the same way as Wanderer but used a clear tarp from Bunnings
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/showthread.php/560-Help-with-hardlid-flys/page2?highlight=covers
Clear Tarp about $40
Eyelet Kit $15
Elastic $5
Plus a couple of Hours to put it all together
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7568&d=1335609535
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7569&d=1335609592
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7571&d=1335614784

glee

Dec 30, 2011
Nice job. Thanks for the pics. You can also get canvas fly ends for the hard lids which have roll up windows which are a good idea. See www.holidayannexes.com.au/about - they have some tiny pics, no email address and no pricing but otherwise they look great!
I have yet to create something but was wondering what the best way to attach to lid would be - I was thinking screw in hooks and that white pvc covered stretchy curtain wire? How do the press studs work - would anyone mind posting pics of how and where they are attached please? For those who have screwed in privacy screens what do they screw them into? I am hesitant to start drilling holes but I guess it is doable?
Also for the poster who hasn't experienced leakage from the hinge, water can drip down from each end of the hinge, down the canvas and get in under the bed where the bed end joins the van. I saw a van in a caravan park which had a small aluminium channel pop riveted onto the van just above the hinge and extending sevearl centimetres past each end of the hinge to guide water away from the bed opening and down the sides. This problem arises because of the nice looking curved corners at the top of the lid. Square corners would prevent this problem.

coled1970

May 27, 2012
Hunter Valley, Newcastle
Hi all,

have purchased one of these from holiday annexes and am very happy with fit. they attach with a plastic rail the same as the annex attaches to the wall of the van and once the rail has been fitted they take about 5min to fit. Hard lid shuts as per normal once fly removed and rail isn't noticable. Been doing heaps of other stuff to the van so will try and get some good pic's up shortly. These flys fit really well and takes about 1/2 -1 hr to fit. Owner is very helpful and nice bloke to talk too.

Cheers

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
Thanks for the info. Im trying to get a local manufacturer in Perth to make them for our van...so we will see how I go.