17' Series Westport to 17.56-2 Expanda! We're excited!

The escapist

Nov 9, 2016
Sydney
Hi all, new to the forum and new to the world of expanda ownership.

We picked our 17.56 touring model up a week and a half ago. A brand spanker (never thought I'd ever say that!) from Jayco Sydney. Came with quite a few mods on it already, bought it off the showroom floor so not really able to option too much. Has tv, antennae, underslung suspension, alko drop down legs, esc, storm covers, drifta control panel, shelves to the robe, anderson plug on the draw bar, drop down table outside, external speakers and a gas bayonet fitting. Only thing it doesn't have, that I would have liked, is permanent solar panels. Will make do with folding one for the time being.

There's loads of information on this forum - good ideas are in plentiful supply!

First thing for us it to work out how to fit everything in! We've gone from a van with a truck load of storage to something without a wardrobe each, smaller kitchen cupboard space and no under bed storage! Time to shed some crap I think....
Next is how to mount the kids bikes. Have to go either on the towball or the van as the car roof is already full with kayaks! Some investigation required I think....

Can't wait to get up to Lake Wallace next weekend for the maiden trip!

Cheers,

Daz

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi Daz and welcome to the forum, and congratulations on the new Expanda. You seem to have stumbled over a van with most of the mod list already onboard.

There has been a lot of ideas thrown around on the forum about bike racks, some very good ones from some very clever members too.

Reactions: bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Getting rid of extraneous kit is really good for the soul!

:welcome:

You'll be surprised by how much you can fit in after a cull and it'll be fun and a challenge .....like a jigsaw.

Sounds like a well optioned van ......and portable solar does work ok till you sort out what you want.

The escapist

Nov 9, 2016
Sydney
Thanks guys,

Finished fitting everything in tonight. Still all drawers empty and a number of cupboards! So plenty of room for clothes. :)

For the moment, while I work out what option to use, I'm just going to use the mac-rack on the towball for the bikes. Its just a pain in the a$$ when I need to get in the boot of the 7.

Pretty happy with the list of mods included. That said, there's always more! Needs fishing rod storage, pole storage, somewhere for fuel for the genny, somewhere for the genny, needs the bars fitted to the awning, annex.... And thats just what I can think of now!!

Also need to work out how to carry the better halfs reclining chair. Used to just sit on the double bed in the old van and never moved. Obviously, can't do that now! Don't really want to leave it on the floor as it'll slide around and leave marks on cupboards and walls. Should've bought a ute!

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
welcome to the forum Daz
as said - nice sounding van, you will love it

yes, moving from one van to another is fun
I ended up with 23 50L tubs of stuff out of my Flamingo, but only 12 ended up into the Expanda

as @Dobbie said, its like a jigsaw puzzle somethimes

Reactions: dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Congrats on the new van @The escapist (Good choice ;) )
We have had our 17.56.2 for 2 1/2 years and still have empty cupboards..... Not sure how she does it ;)

The escapist

Nov 9, 2016
Sydney
So tired..... Must keep reading.... So much information!

I think I've just figured out some of my storage problems for big chairs and the outdoor table we carry! Under the bed end lids. Will try it this weekend....

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

The escapist

Nov 9, 2016
Sydney
So, my storage problems for the chairs/table still exist.

The gap between the bed base (when folded) and the bed end lid is quite small on our van. Not enough for what I wanted anyway... back to the drawing board!

Raised the mudflaps today! :) Now, when I park on the lawn at home, the bricks shouldnt be pushed back before the wheels hit...

Also seasoned the canvas this morning. Heard some not very nice stories of bed ends leaking in rain... Keen for that NOT to happen to us.

Also, fitted the new Pro Series WDH. Very happy with it - except the van still sits way too nose high (I have the underslung suspension from factory, so hitch is welded to the base of the draw bars... :( Don't really want the longer drop shank, as I'll loose the clearance I need getting in and out of the driveway (there's a reason I didnt just buy a falcon!) so may look into the spacers I've seen mentioned on here. Will make a few phone calls this week.

Looking forward to next weekend!! :)

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Don't really want the longer drop shank, as I'll loose the clearance I need getting in and out of the driveway (there's a reason I didnt just buy a falcon!) so may look into the spacers I've seen mentioned on here.
Sounds like the spacer will be your best option!

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
when we pack to travel, we have the chairs (upright) and Weber sitting in between the seats
I have the tables and ground mat under the bed doors