Well that escalated quickly..Planning a Cape Trip

mbr37746

Oct 20, 2013
Central West NSW
Background to this thread, I was procrastinating between tasks at work and was reading an article in a link from the SMH yesterday in which the QLD govt. plans to pave as much of the road to the tip as possible ".......your grandma's Datsun will be able to make it to the Tip." and so this got me thinking, I've got to do this!
So, as this new topic was now more exiting than the next meeting I should have been in, I've sent a skpe message with the link for the article to a colleague and then lazily wandered on over to his desk, via the canteen to grab a couple of coffees.
By the time I had got there, he'd rang his wife, confirmed annual leave ability for them both and sent a placeholder out to our Outlook calendars.
I'd yet spoken to Mrs mbr at this stage about our upcoming plans (but she gave me a call rather quickly and excitedly during the impromptu "meeting" I was now involved in, well away from where I should have really been) and I'd failed to notice she was included as an invitee on the calendar invite my partner in crime had sent!
I'd then spent the last half of the day catching up on the tasks I should have been doing while I'd been thinking about this.
Come 9pm last night we'd finally sat down on the lounge and were having starting to chat about the proposed trip, as I'd been packing the van ready for this weekend away while mrs mbr was dealing with the kids bedtime routines etc. the floodgates opened!
Out came the list:
  • confirmation that now 3 people had confirmed annual leave.
  • email to school asking for time off for the kids while we travel, which was confirmed and a request by the teachers that a diary and trip report was to be completed by the kids.
  • a list of bookmarked web pages on travel to the cape
  • a rather detailed itinerary including travel distances and times, must see places and activities
  • Camp sites that are apparently Croc-safe
Which brings me back to the topic of this thread - Well that escalated quickly!
Looks like I'm on a trip to the cape next year, sans Expanda.

I'll have to pick your brain @crackacoldie when/if we get to the Central coast meet-up in a couple of weeks (looking good at the moment as the tournament is next weekend! yay!). Also hoping for feedback from anyone else that has hints or tips for a trip to the top.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
There wasn't any bridges on the way up when I last went there but you can be assured the amount of idiots on the road will have increased, as for swimming holes, DON'T, we all swam in a supposed safe spot, no crocs , it's above the waterfall.................2 weeks later someone gets nibbled on...it probably saw that we were armed and stayed away............................look forward to your trip reports.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
ohhh, I love the way it has unfolded

tis like what I used to do to SWMBO...when I was doing the FiFo......
I would send a text on the Monday to say "we havent been to..... for awhile"

when I ring her that night
"all booked, vans packed, pick you up from the Airport, and head straight to..................."

used to love it

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I'll be watching this thread with interest as we are planning to head there mid June this year, taking around 3 months for the round trip, the coast one way and inland the other. I will be asking members for advice on where to go and what to see and also if any North Queenslanders are interested in meeting up.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
I like your style @mbr37746 ..... Now where do I find a job where I can have "meetings" like yours? 8-)
Looking forward to your reports as, unfortunately, the paving will be completed by the time we get to probably one of the furthest points of Oz from home!

Reactions: bigcol and Dobbie

mbr37746

Oct 20, 2013
Central West NSW
I like your style @mbr37746 ..... Now where do I find a job where I can have "meetings" like yours? 8-)
Looking forward to your reports as, unfortunately, the paving will be completed by the time we get to probably one of the furthest points of Oz from home!
The job has changed at the start of this year, I'm now doing project management. It was explained to me as "you don't really have a real job, in fact you don't actually do anything, but I'll kick your ass of you can't encourage everyone else to do their job...." it went on a bit from there with justification of how my personality suited the role blah, blah, blah. Just a polite way of saying, "you're an a-hole".

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
I'm now doing project management. It was explained to me as "you don't really have a real job, in fact you don't actually do anything, but I'll kick your ass of you can't encourage everyone else to do their job...." it went on a bit from there with justification of how my personality suited the role blah, blah, blah. Just a polite way of saying, "you're an a-hole".
Us Project Managers must be tarred with the same brush ;)

project manager.jpg

mbr37746

Oct 20, 2013
Central West NSW
I'm having a hard time at the moment convincing Mrs mbr that the big lizards won't get her and I don't have to reinforce the canopy, buy a roof top tent etc. I'm happy with the 30 second tent and swag. We aren't silly, won't be camping right next to the rivers and will be in groups.

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
I'm having a hard time at the moment convincing Mrs mbr that the big lizards won't get her and I don't have to reinforce the canopy, buy a roof top tent etc. I'm happy with the 30 second tent and swag. We aren't silly, won't be camping right next to the rivers and will be in groups.
Mrs Cracka can fill you in next weekend, the logs with legs weren't a problem. Just taking care is fine

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
and look out for red eyes in the water at night.

We thought we were really fine...and we were...but at Limmon Bite I really freaked out when I went for a piddle wander at night and saw claw marks and the red eyes.

We had a hard lid camper, off the ground, but it was still canvas.

After the second night we got used to it but never ever cleaned fish near the campsite.

Don't want to cause marital disharmony but they be there, they're stealthy and they're bloody fast.

Good common sense and you'll be fine!

:croc:

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

mbr37746

Oct 20, 2013
Central West NSW
So, the ute's progressing along nicely now. Finally got the roof topper. Needed to get a winch and then had to get a bar to mount it on. Picked up a set of steelies from a mate who didn't need them and wrapped a set of 33's around them.
IMG_1159.JPG
Takes about 7 mins to set up camp, and 20 to pack up which I can handle easily enough. I reckon if kids weren't involved the pack up would be about 10 mins.
IMG_1173.JPG