Chassis Weight Distribution Hitch Video

ChrisU

May 18, 2015
Wandin North, Vic
@Bluey.... The 120 Prado's with an original Toyo bar are now a "NO NO" with WDH's!!!! (Unless you buy thier non height adjustable ones!!)
Hi @dagree, there were a number of towbar failures on 120#Prado's where WDH's were used, and people didn't bother disconnecting them when they should have, and the resulting twisting force either caused fractures where the genuine bar mounted to the chassis, or elongated holes where the bar bolts to the chassis, so Toyota designed their own WDH where the tension bars act as a 'fuse' and break when the twisting forces become too high, theoretically saving the towbar and chassis from damage.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
The Jeep has a monocoque and actually recommends the use of a WDH over a certain weight.
When I bought mine back 2012 the recommendation was that towing anything over 2268kg (which coincidently was the max towing limit of the V6 petrol) a WDH was recommended. They then released a bulletin IIRC encompassing that recommendation for the quadralift equipped cars as well. All the steel spring variants still came with the Nivomat self levelling rear shock absorbers too.

Both my previous Ford Territories also had a monocoque with a rated towing capacity of 2300kg, but according to the manual this could only be achieved with the use of a load levelling device, ie, a WDH either genuine Ford or otherwise.
The genuine Ford one was crap as it didn't have an adjustable height towball head, it was fixed, hence using an HR was what most did.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Hi @dagree, there were a number of towbar failures on 120#Prado's where WDH's were used, and people didn't bother disconnecting them when they should have, and the resulting twisting force either caused fractures where the genuine bar mounted to the chassis, or elongated holes where the bar bolts to the chassis, so Toyota designed their own WDH where the tension bars act as a 'fuse' and break when the twisting forces become too high, theoretically saving the towbar and chassis from damage.

That is right @ChrisU but the problem I had was that I had heard of the recall elsewhere and when I asked at the local dealer even the service manager didn't know anything about it (Had to check on the computer and make a call over east!!!!) The thing I didn't like was the fact the Toyota WDH's were not height adjustable like the HR WDH's. And to get it I was supposed to hand over the HR one's back to Toyota... As if that was ever going to happen!!!!!!!

Long story short got booked in and service guys says "All's good... Bolts been tightened". Didn't like the "uneducated" answers to my questions that followed so went and booked into get the towbar swapped over.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Having just read up the specs for Prado and Kluger I can only assume they are loaded to the hilt anyway if towing anything over 18ft.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
As I've said elsewhere the wdh doesn't change the weights. They create forces in the car and van that neither one are usually designed for.

The bars and hitch are actually a means of redistributing the forces created by the weight of the van. The forces are distributed by rotating the hitch against the design of the car and the van.

Might need to do a diagram to fully explain this one.

The video is slightly misleading in how it presents the wdh but near enough to be somewhere near right in the outcome of using one.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
As I've said elsewhere the wdh doesn't change the weights. They create forces in the car and van that neither one are usually designed for.

The bars and hitch are actually a means of redistributing the forces created by the weight of the van. The forces are distributed by rotating the hitch against the design of the car and the van.

The video is slightly misleading in how it presents the wdh but near enough to be somewhere near right in the outcome of using one.
Which is why I guess they aren't recommended for offroad use

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Yep, I don't bother removing them before reversing either. I do try to not get even close to a jack-knife situation though.
I didn't even remove them all along the GRR or any other off road situation. Never felt there was an issue with them.

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
I hope those with the popcorn are enjoying..
Peter Werrett did a demo with a Magna were he cranked the WDH up that much he removed the rear wheels and drove the car with caravan 10 metres down the road.
So yes the weight is distributed to the front by applying a torque (twist) to the hitch and all the way through to the front wheels.
With the Pathfinder the soft suspension at the rear is good when empty and with the WDH tows well.
To me how things tow has too many variables to be able to saying one element will make a difference. I will always try to have WDH as an option. You can always not use it.

McKenzie

Jul 15, 2015
Brisbane
I'm a little late on this one....and what i have to say may not be worth much. As i have yet to tow a van. Perhaps my thinking is to simple.

But why would a manufacturer tell you a vehicle is capable of tow X amount of weight and X amount at the ball. Surely if you stay within the parameters it is safe?

If you add a device that changes the behavior. That is out of the scope of the manufacturers ability to cater for. Results are then unknown. Do HR research and test every type of vehicle? Maybe?

Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Ah yes @McKenzie , there in lies the problem.......the van maker states certain things that sound good in theory but once you add the water and other things you need, well the theory is shot, while the car maker tells you the capabilities of his vehicle but doesn't tell you that with a revised suspension it will meet these claims, but as bought from the showroom not quite,as it's built to carry 2 people but don't put anything in the boot and both fail to point out that to meet the regulations both cannot be loaded to the max when hooked together...........therefore the after market mob come up with just what you need to fix your problem, which wouldn't be a problem if the things were built to meet the job.............
New springs first then add an WDH if needed........................

Reactions: Sammy D and bigcol

McKenzie

Jul 15, 2015
Brisbane
looks like I need to learn more....Thanks @Drover

Its interesting - The two dealers I spoke to, and most comments I've read at this site, their dealers tell them to not buy a WDH until they look at it on the day of pick-up. Not sure I fully understand that one. I understand, they can tell right away if its needed - so there's a chance its not. It's just can't get the numbers so to speak to add up in my head. I'm still hung up on the vehicle specs and van specs (guess the from what I have read the van specs can be BS, right). Understand the back will sit lower without a WDH - to me it seems like a comfort thing. Guess I'll get the light bulb moment sooner or later.

Personally, prefer not to get one. However, on the day of pick, I will be relying on the dealer's advice. If they say I should...I'm sure they can give a convincing reason (and could be visually obvious even to me)...I'll get one and go my happy merry way...knowing in the back of my head I did the right thing.

:popcorn:

now back to the pop corn! More please and could I get a soda with that? :couch2:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
With your tug you will probably find that upgrading the springs/shocks (aftermarket ) will improve the vehicle even before you hook up your van, as I mentioned on another thread the original suspension is to give a soft, nice, cosy ride not to carry any load.......if I have to fit a WDH it will be because I've upgraded the suspension and it will be needed but putting 40kg of extra metal on my tow bar would be a last resort., saying that though if we upgrade to a 19.61.2 probably will have to sadly.

If you look at my Tug page you will see the change new suspension did on my Colorado, mind you the rear springs were knackered but the springs put it up better than original and rides really well with or without the van.

Reactions: bigcol

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Ive got 260kg on the ball, which is the equivalent of 3 "within spec" mates sitting in the tub. Im pretty confident my 3 mates in the tub won't lift my front wheels off the ground. A certain percentage of the relatively low lifting force at the front, caused by the 260kg ball weight, will be absorbed by the rear suspension anyway, and with the extra 100kg odd hanging over the front in the form of a bull bar and winch Im reckon Im pretty close to basically balanced .... it could be argued with all that weight hanging off the front, I need the van attached to stop the back wheels lifting off the ground o_O Does it not work both ways ??

I do have a WDH, but I have very low tension on the bars just absorb some of the lunging.