Chassis WDH convert! WDH / anti sway / anti bounce kit for 22 starcraft

Gilmorehappy

Jul 7, 2015
Newcastle
Sometimes it's a case of learning the hard way. The starcraft 22 OB sits dead level behind the Colorado, however there is no confidence in handling over 95 kms. I thought I could live with that, but freeway driving was an emotionally taxing grind! Each moment was spent scanning the rear vision for approaching semis, and as they passed the White knuckles clenched the wheel, correcting for the suction affect as the Colorado swung first right and then left. It is only after experiencing towing without hitch accesories that you can realise how much better things go with one!

While the beloved Starcraft was in for first service I wandered the accessories shop and noticed the Andersen wdh \ anti sway / anti bounce kit. It struck me as unusual that one simple kit could tackle those three towing gripes, so I googled the heck out of it, to the point I was happy to purchase. The engineering ideas looked good, and simple.

First thing was to lower the fancy new braked tow ball so the Starcraft could sag slightly at the front. This meant once the wdh had tension, we would be back up to level again!

Transformed! image.jpg
On the road the improvement was immediately noticed. The Colorado had ceased to wallow and float and instead felt 'normal' and firm. No wallowing! Second, there was no pitching like a yacht through heavy seas! The elastomers act like shocked and dull any pitching. Thirdly, and most importantly, NO SWAY where it did before! I'd describe it as more of a buffeting in side winds and with semis, but no sway. The whole package could be towed at 110 from a stability perspective.

A couple of small points; I needed a new hole in the female part of the tow bar assembly so the hitch could be inserted fully and not hang out too far. Also, if you have side mounted jockey wheel, that's ok as just switch the wdh bracket to inside and works a charm - no clashing. Shackles looked a little small, but I'm sure they are properly engineered and these kits have been around a few years! Was easy to put on and off. Just wind up jockey wheel with tug attached and tension releases. Loosen main elastomer nuts and drop a pin of the 'blade' and you're off!

I can see limited posts on this type of hitch on expandas downunder and hopefully this is some extra review info if you're considering this type of hitch.

So if you're new to towing like me and wondered if you should part with some cash for hitch accessories I'd be saying fore sure!

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
I have one and love it, The Andersen hitch does everything they say and it does it great.
The only thing is with the Jayco outback vans the trailer hitch is mounted to the bottom of the A frame so it makes the Andersen hitch chains run at an angle up to the frame brackets but I believe they are releasing longer frame brackets to suit the outback version in about 6 weeks.

Reactions: Gilmorehappy

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
I umm'd and ahh'd about this setup, but ended up getting a Hayman Reese setup. Couldn't find enough people to give an opinion at the time when I was looking to buy. What are they like when reversing and rehitching when tow vehicle isn't square?

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
When reversing the van you would not even know the hitch is connected, quite smooth and can go full lock.
when re hitching it is always easy when you can connect up at the same angle that you disconnected from but if not you just connect the one chain that you can and drive off turning to the opposite side then stop and connect other chain and set tension on both.

Last edited:

Gilmorehappy

Jul 7, 2015
Newcastle
So far I have found it reverses just like normal. Of course there is the braking effect of the tapered tow ball shaft on the friction material, but you cannot notice it reversing. I have never used another type of wdh, but this one is totally silent. One thing I do wonder, is how much of a dip could be tackled, because this would have the effect of placing more tension on the chains. @Base23 , do you have any comments on how it would go in a dip?

Gilmorehappy

Jul 7, 2015
Newcastle
I umm'd and ahh'd about this setup, but ended up getting a Hayman Reese setup. Couldn't find enough people to give an opinion at the time when I was looking to buy. What are they like when reversing and rehitching when tow vehicle isn't square?
Yep had the same experience where there weren't too many people to ask. Had to rely on blogs in the usa where they are made to get testimonials. Dealer asked if I could give some feedback as they haven't stocked them for long and wanted to know 'how it went'.

Reactions: bigcol

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Not sure how much angle it can handle but I back it up my drive way with out any hassles. If drive way was much steeper I would hit the back of the van on the ground, I think that would be more of a problem.

Gilmorehappy

Jul 7, 2015
Newcastle
Not sure how much angle it can handle but I back it up my drive way with out any hassles. If drive way was much steeper I would hit the back of the van on the ground, I think that would be more of a problem.
That is good to know. Those elastomers in the wdh must be indestructible by the sounds of things, as they would cop a lot of load in any dip situation!

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
I have one and love it, The Andersen hitch does everything they say and it does it great.
The only thing is with the Jayco outback vans the trailer hitch is mounted to the bottom of the A frame so it makes the Andersen hitch chains run at an angle up to the frame brackets but I believe they are releasing longer frame brackets to suit the outback version in about 6 weeks.

Finally got the replacement WDH frame brackets today for my Andersen weightdistribution hitch. Adersen have made longer brackets to suit the jayco outback chassis. The Jayco outback has the tow hitch mounted to the lower of the A frame so that made the chains for the WDH run on an angle and because of that the chains would rub on the edge of the frame bracket tube and also was bending the tow ball connecting plate. The longer brackets hang about 90mm lower but I don't think it will cause any problems.

Original brackets
37185-28f0256819b0adeb66c5a422782bfae5.jpg

Longer brackets made for the Jayco outback chassis
37186-73da410e4c0835ffc1c0bb1986e13ce2.jpg

I mounted the so called outer bracket(the one the chain connects through) to the inner of the A frame chassis so that thechains clear the jockey wheel. This makes it easier to connect the WDH up to the car being able to wind the jockey wheel down and take the load off the chains.
Also lets me stow the jockey wheel in the clamp when towing.
37187-07de81530aa6353e8978e0563f7d6db5.jpg

When I connect it to the car I will add some photos of the chain angles.

Gilmorehappy

Jul 7, 2015
Newcastle
@Base23 ,love the extenders so the lines of force are direct! Without those extenders parts rub on each other and wear, and yes my blade slightly bent after some action packed Bylong valley way turbulence! was it expensive for just those extension parts? I'm sure I need a set!

Finally got the replacement WDH frame brackets today for my Andersen weightdistribution hitch. Adersen have made longer brackets to suit the jayco outback chassis. The Jayco outback has the tow hitch mounted to the lower of the A frame so that made the chains for the WDH run on an angle and because of that the chains would rub on the edge of the frame bracket tube and also was bending the tow ball connecting plate. The longer brackets hang about 90mm lower but I don't think it will cause any problems.

Original brackets
37185-28f0256819b0adeb66c5a422782bfae5.jpg

Longer brackets made for the Jayco outback chassis
37186-73da410e4c0835ffc1c0bb1986e13ce2.jpg

I mounted the so called outer bracket(the one the chain connects through) to the inner of the A frame chassis so that thechains clear the jockey wheel. This makes it easier to connect the WDH up to the car being able to wind the jockey wheel down and take the load off the chains.
Also lets me stow the jockey wheel in the clamp when towing.
37187-07de81530aa6353e8978e0563f7d6db5.jpg

When I connect it to the car I will add some photos of the chain angles.

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
@Base23 ,love the extenders so the lines of force are direct! Without those extenders parts rub on each other and wear, and yes my blade slightly bent after some action packed Bylong valley way turbulence! was it expensive for just those extension parts? I'm sure I need a set!
Titan trailer brakes (Andersen WDH distributer QLD) swaped for my old brackets. Had to send my old brackets back and they sent me the longer one free of charge.
Give them a call to organize first, they are great to deal with.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I missed this thread, wish I'd found it way back then as I ended up with a HR , works okay anyway............have you lifted your Colorado @Gilmorehappy ?????
The reason I ask is on my Colorado, Big Mal sits pretty good without a WDH, travels really well on the old rural roads but get it on the nice flat, smooth highway and she tends to be a bit twitchy and scary at times.
It had me going for awhile trying to figure out why but then I clicked ,with the lifted suspension at speed, over 90kph the air flow was lifting the front and with the lifted suspension and van on the back I was running out of front wheel travel, all came good when I added the WDH, can be very confident now......but I like that Anderson set up.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Jamcor

Feb 29, 2016
Qld
Thank you guys for posting this i stopped in on way home from work for a look what a great design just what i want will b ordering on monday

Reactions: Base23

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Thank you guys for posting this i stopped in on way home from work for a look what a great design just what i want will b ordering on monday
If you have a jayco outback make sure you order the kit with the extended frame brackets

Jamcor

Feb 29, 2016
Qld
Now i have one wouldnt be with out it great design drove from brissy to canarvon gorge with it on handled great luv it

Reactions: bigcol

Swerve

Mar 26, 2014
Sydney
interesting, I'm about to put my Patrol HD rear springs back in, will decide after that what I do