17' Series Water & sulage hose rack mod

Sinko

Mar 21, 2011
Victoria
G'day all

Here are a few snaps of something I made up to hold hoses due to the limited boot space in 17.56.1

Hopefully it is easy to see what's going on. Any questions please let me know. Basically the mesh was slid down the 3 brackets holding the water tank. This allowed the tank to be the rear wall for the rack and the mesh could hinge off the brackets to swing down and allow access. I folded the other 3 sides up by hand.

The mesh sits below the tank and the plate that protects the tank so it won't rub or put a hole in the tank. I have cut the rear top corners out of the mesh so it won't rub on the tank either.

I'm looking at better options than the heavy rubber straps to hold the rack up. We just travelled 1000 kms and there were no issues with the integrity or security of the mod.

I have also added a photo of the pole carrier I fixed behind the second wheel. I was able to use the existing elements of the van and not have to drill extra holes - which was great!

I have had the van axle underslung from new so that gives a bit more clearance - similar to an OB I suppose.

Anyway I hope the photos uploaded ok - first time!! Oh and if anyone has any suggestions on how to improve or reasons not to have the mod please let me know!!!

cheers
Sinko

pole holder2.JPGrack close.JPGrack hinge1.JPGrack open.JPGrack strap.JPGrack up.JPG

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Neat job Sinko, just a thought instead of using the rubber straps to hold the cage up what about some chain? Then there is no risk of the straps breaking even though they are very hardy.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Nice mod!

Not having been under the Rear of an Expanda (yet!), with a little bit of plumbing modification, would it be possible to connect the pipes to the water and waste on a permanent or semi-permanant basis? Then it would just be a matter of dropping the carry cage and connecting straight up to services, no connecting hoses the the van.

Regards,

Ro

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Good job Sinko.
I use those rubber straps outside at home and they do deteriorate and become brittle, even though they aren't spose to....

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
wow great work, my boy is going to be impressed as he thought of this over summer break and is chompimg at the bit to mod the van to house the boogie/surf boards. will get him on after school for a bo peep.cheers.

Kebsy56

Jan 17, 2012
St leonards vic
Looks good Sinko

I just fitted mesh to my drawbar last weekend. It holds my water hose,power lead and sattelite dish. My sullage hose slides up the left hand chassis rail (step side) with a cap on the end to stop it falling out. I have put the spare wheel under the back of the van with a wind down thing like on the backs of utes.Heading to port fairy this weekend for 3 nights so should get some photos of my mods and get them on here.

Cheers Kebsy56

Drizzlingje

Oct 27, 2011
Pics would be great kebsy, enjoy the port, a lovely spot. Lots of mullet in the river being caught behind the caravan park, good fun for the kids. We used to fish there with "catchit" for bait!