Interior Water Pump 12v and Manual

Fiona Hain

Aug 14, 2017
Brisbane
I have a 2011 Expanda, has two water tanks. Works perfectly when connect to mains water.

The manual pump doesn't seem to be working, when I pull it up and put my hand over it I can feel it sucking but it's not pumping water up.

The 12v pump spits out little bits of water, makes noise but if I put my hand over the manual hand pump, I can hear the water coming up the pipes and it works, but take my hand off the manual pump tank and it stops working, yet continues to make noise.

Water tanks are full, have even left hose in while attempting to get it to work, have tuned all Taps on at same time, still not working.

The valve arrow which is near the front water tank on bottom of van is facing down, have tried in all 3 directions, still not working.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi @Fiona Hain and welcome to the forum. There is an army of wonderful folk here just busting to help you out

Im reading neither your handpump, or 12v works at all??

Others will be able to confirm, i thought if you have a factory 12v pump, you dont get a hand pump. Thats what caused me to replumb my van so i could get the water out of my tanks when connected to mains

Im guessing you didnt buy the van new. 2 water tanks would suggest the 12v pump is factory installed, and maybe the handpump is an after thought, and not installed correctly.

The 3 way tank valve arrow should point toward the direction of the pipe in the middle, which is generally down
20171003_093938.jpg

You will need a non return valve on both the 12v pump line, and the hand pump line to stop each sucking air via the other, which is what its doing now. The non return valve is a small plastic fitting that is installed (cut and join) in the pipe and allows water and air to flow only in one direction, blocking backflow and in your case air

It will be a relatively easy and cheap fix, but for anyone to advise you, theyd really need to see how its all been connected or youll need to take lots of photos and post them here. So start snapping and posting

Last edited:
Reactions: Delano

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
As others have advised - you require non return valves in the water pipes. The ones I have seen are white and the size of the water pipes and are usually under the van in the pipe work.

Another idea - If the hand pump is sucking water when you have your hand over its spout, I'm guessing the hand pump's washer is not sealing. It may not have been used for some time and some brands the washer is a fibre one which dries out.

Fiona Hain

Aug 14, 2017
Brisbane
Hi @Fiona Hain and welcome to the forum. There is an army of wonderful folk here just busting to help you out

Im reading neither your handpump, or 12v works at all??

Others will be able to confirm, i thought if you have a factory 12v pump, you dont get a hand pump. Thats what caused me to replumb my van so i could get the water out of my tanks when connected to mains

Im guessing you didnt buy the van new. 2 water tanks would suggest the 12v pump is factory installed, and maybe the handpump is an after thought, and not installed correctly.

The 3 way tank valve arrow should point toward the direction of the pipe in the middle, which is generally down
View attachment 57222

You will need a non return valve on both the 12v pump line, and the hand pump line to stop each sucking air via the other, which is what its doing now. The non return valve is a small plastic fitting that is installed (cut and join) in the pipe and allows water and air to flow only in one direction, blocking backflow and in your case air

It will be a relatively easy and cheap fix, but for anyone to advise you, theyd really need to see how its all been connected or youll need to take lots of photos and post them here. So start snapping and posting

Hi, the hand pump was working and when I tried it the other day it stopped working.

The 12v pump will work if I put my hand over the spout of the hand pump (can feel the suction). Other wise it just spits water and makes a noise.

From what I have read I'm thinking it might be the inline non return valve attached to the hand pump line? This is a white thing inside the water line? I have attached a pic of what I have googled and what it looks like, as I don't take a pic. This might be my first elimination and see how that goes, just have to order one online and wait for it to arrive.

The arrow is pointing down, same as in your pic, I did wonder if that was correct so thanks for confirming.

Will let you know how I get on.

Fiona

Attachments

• IMG_3979.PNG
    IMG_3979.PNG
    230 KB · Views: 239

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
I have a 2011 Expanda, has two water tanks. Works perfectly when connect to mains water.

The manual pump doesn't seem to be working, when I pull it up and put my hand over it I can feel it sucking but it's not pumping water up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

This may sound silly and not work, but when i took the tap off and topped it up with water from the top and then reconnected it mine worked. Guess this is not related to the 12V but worked on the manual for me.

Reactions: Fiona Hain

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
This may sound silly and not work, but when i took the tap off and topped it up with water from the top and then reconnected it mine worked. Guess this is not related to the 12V but worked on the manual for me.

That would be because the manual pump's washer was not sealing. Once the water was added then the washer would swell and function properly.

Fiona Hain

Aug 14, 2017
Brisbane

Do you mean take the manual pump out and pour water down the pipe?

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi, the hand pump was working and when I tried it the other day it stopped working.

The 12v pump will work if I put my hand over the spout of the hand pump (can feel the suction). Other wise it just spits water and makes a noise.

From what I have read I'm thinking it might be the inline non return valve attached to the hand pump line? This is a white thing inside the water line? I have attached a pic of what I have googled and what it looks like, as I don't take a pic. This might be my first elimination and see how that goes, just have to order one online and wait for it to arrive.

The arrow is pointing down, same as in your pic, I did wonder if that was correct so thanks for confirming.

Will let you know how I get on.

Fiona
Despite our best efforts @Fiona Hain i think you may have solved your issue yourself. The pic is certainly a non return valve used by Jayco. If there is an arrow on the non return valve it should point in the direction of your intended flow

Those little valves are not the best; when you take it out if you blow air through it both ways, its broken

Well done

Fiona Hain

Aug 14, 2017
Brisbane
Despite our best efforts @Fiona Hain i think you may have solved your issue yourself. The pic is certainly a non return valve used by Jayco. If there is an arrow on the non return valve it should point in the direction of your intended flow

Those little valves are not the best; when you take it out if you blow air through it both ways, its broken

Well done

I got the little white thing out (waive) and I tried to blow air through it both ways in which air went through both ways, I noticed a little black piece of stringy plastic hanging out of it, I
Pulled it out and now I can only blow air through it one way, so I'm thinking this may have been the culprit. I will try it tomorrow and see how it goes.

Reactions: Crusty181