Just Browsing Water Leaks at QuickConnect Fittings on Penguin

Mact

May 18, 2017
Victoria
Hello all,
Just a Jayco 'Newbie' with a S/H 2009 Penguin with an annoying water leak below sink at those seemingly useless black spring loaded compression type quick connect fittings. Am about to replace with combination of 12mm garden type irrigation fittings with S/S hose clamps to prevent more leaks! Any better ideas forumers? I have tried using Silastic 732RTV( the 'good' stuff) smeared over the 12mm black high density polytube and reconnecting and allowing it to dry but when hooked up to mains water or when electric pump/sinktap turned on the bloody leaks occur again! And ..yes I have inserted those grey pipe end reinforcers from Jayco and it still leaks from the quick connectors.
Cheer's
Mact

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hello all,
Just a Jayco 'Newbie' with a S/H 2009 Penguin with an annoying water leak below sink at those seemingly useless black spring loaded compression type quick connect fittings. Am about to replace with combination of 12mm garden type irrigation fittings with S/S hose clamps to prevent more leaks! Any better ideas forumers? I have tried using Silastic 732RTV( the 'good' stuff) smeared over the 12mm black high density polytube and reconnecting and allowing it to dry but when hooked up to mains water or when electric pump/sinktap turned on the bloody leaks occur again! And ..yes I have inserted those grey pipe end reinforcers from Jayco and it still leaks from the quick connectors.
Cheer's
Mact
Hi @Mact and welcome to the forum, possible a better idea to replace with John Guest piping and connectors if your handy. Hang on, re-reading your post seems maybe your taking about John Guest fittings?? John Guest is about as good as youll get. Maybe post up a pic

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Hello all,
Cheer's
Mact
The John Guest Fitting are usually much better than any garden fitting you can find.

I think you'd be better to get hold of a new set of John Guest fittings.

You do need to make sure that the ends where they go into the fititng are not scratched or split, and you'll need to remove every trace of the silastic, as this will cause them to leak.

When you insert them , you also need to push them in, and then pull back a couple of times so that the teeth on the fitting grip the pipe tightly.

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
The JG fittings are great, but a lot of manufacturers do not insert the red circlip! These are designed to stop the hose from slipping out of the fitting. Ensure the pipe has no ragged edges or scratches. So you have to push the pipe in as far as it will go and ease the black end out to insert the circlip.

Reactions: Bellbirdweb