Water Damage - Ceiling

SilverFox

Aug 27, 2012
ACT
Hi Fellow Expanda's

Well I'm not entirely happy!!!

The other week here we had about 115ml of rain over a few days, and when I recently inspected our Expanda, I found that there is water damage in the two corners of the ceiling. When I went to try and soak up the water and moisture using a cloth in one of the corners, I found that the surface then rubbed off leaving the timber exposed underneath. The opposite corner has discolouration from the water that's entered the van, that I would also like to clean up.

I have tried to find where the water leak may have originated from, and have hopefully sealed up those areas that I thought looked suspect, but I suppose you can't be guaranteed where the water may have entered from. Any solutions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Wondering whether anybody here has had a similar experience, and how you've rectified the problem. The exposed timber area is a major problem.

Thanks

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Silverfox, I had that happen in our last expanda, I know what you mean.....the covering is like paper, Jayco seem to of changed that now to something that can be wiped with a damp cloth. Anyway I called Jayco and told them about my leak, they weren't interested as is was out if warranty but I kept hounding them and sending emails eventually to head office. The van was about 18 months old at the time and I used the " Do you tell your customers to expect leaks after 18 months" approach. In the end they agreed to reseal the roof at their expense and I touched up the corner the best I could....only I could tell because I knew it was done and where! Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Reactions: SilverFox

SilverFox

Aug 27, 2012
ACT
Hi Burnsy,

Thanks buddy for the reply. I'll give it a shot with Jayco here in Canberra etc. I'm currently investigating this through the Jayco Owners Travel Diary as well. Seems others have repaired it themselves, but the textured look and matching up the colour is going to be a problem.

I'll keep everyone posted on what I find.

Thanks again Burnsy!!

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
As far as the colour goes its a bit of trial and error, I also finished it off by dabbing the paint on with a sponge.

SilverFox

Aug 27, 2012
ACT
Burnsy and Cruza Driver.

Thanks guys. I've sent an email off to Jayco HQ this evening asking what my options are. Lets see what the reply back is.

I really appreciate your responses, help and assistance provided. I'll keep you posted on what the reply back from Jayco HQ is.

We have a planned trip next weekend over the October long weekend. It coincides with our 22nd wedding anniversary.

Cheers guys!!

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Another thing you can do if your not sure if you've sealed the problem area is tape along the joint with duct tape, I did this and it worked a treat until it could be resealed!

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
We had water leaking in through the winguard aerial , the rubber grommet encasing the coax had worked its way off exposing the hole , water only entered on big downfalls after refitting bobs your uncle !!!

SilverFox

Aug 27, 2012
ACT
Hey Burnsy,

Thought that too would be the go. Don't want the time away to be ruined especially since its our 22nd!! Its all good.

Cheers

SilverFox

Aug 27, 2012
ACT
HI BUSHMAN,

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE INFORMATION!!!!

I'M TYPING IN UPPERCASE CAUSE I'M JUST THRILLED TO HEAR YOUR NEWS!!! HOW MUCH DAMAGE DID YOU HAVE TO YOUR VAN FROM THE WATER DAMAGE? I HAVE DAMAGE IN THE CEILING ON TWO CORNERS, OPPOSITE SIDE TO THE DOOR AND AWNING. ONE CORNER WHERE I TRIED TO RUB THE MOISTURE AND REMOVED THE TEXTURED PAPER REVEALING THE TIMBER UNDERNEATH. THE OTHER CORNER HAS DISCOLOURATION FROM THE LEAK.

CHEERS

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I was talking to my mate the repairer today, he had a few vans in that suffered water damage and all 2010 models ( not Jayco's). It seems as though in that year there could of been some dodgy sealer going around as a lot of caravan manufacturers buy from the same place!