20' Series Watching the numbers of members rise steadily

meandher (a frost)

Mar 21, 2013
The Vines, WA
I have been watching the numbers of members rise steadily from less than 1000 since I joined around March 2013 to 2167 a few minutes ago when I last checked. It got me figuring that this is a huge and profitable business. If you will forgive the rubbery numbers on the assumptions of current values and take it in the spirit of which these numbers are meant, then based on the purchase price of the van, any van, to be around $50K on average, then 2167 x 50,000= $108,350,000.

That is a staggering amount of money and only includes our members and not the many perhaps thousands of Expanda owners that are out there blissfully unaware of this site. Add the other Jayco models in the range to these figures and the numbers rise further.

With all this money going into Mr. Jayco's hands, then why doesn't he spend a little on some simplistic R and D to stop my drawers and cupboard's 10c screws from coming loose causing me to have to constantly check them all to prevent them falling to bits? Just a thought...............

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
very good question, I was discussing one similar with my builder earlier today, the house next to us has an untreated pine frame, apparently this will save around $1,000 per house, not a lot, but, this particular builder builds hundreds if not thousands of houses per year, $1,000 x 1,000 = 1 million bucks!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
very good question, I was discussing one similar with my builder earlier today, the house next to us has an untreated pine frame, apparently this will save around $1,000 per house, not a lot, but, this particular builder builds hundreds if not thousands of houses per year, $1,000 x 1,000 = 1 million bucks!

And his brother is a pest contoller specializing in termite control.

rodney

Apr 23, 2014
Your right that is a big number but what does it truly cost to build here in aus take the dealer costs off that price then the rest that number would come down a lot
For example let's say it cost 35k to build then the dealer has it's cost lets say 10k that's 45k without margins so the dealer pays 40k then has to pay transport and the sale mans to sell it the tech to pd it and all other fees then add a profit margin doesn't take much to add up quickly

Reactions: dagree

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
With all this money going into Mr. Jayco's hands, then why doesn't he spend a little on some simplistic R and D to stop my drawers and cupboard's 10c screws from coming loose causing me to have to constantly check them all to prevent them falling to bits? Just a thought...............

Go up a gauge when they are loose and add a little length and no more problems

meandher (a frost)

Mar 21, 2013
The Vines, WA
Cracka,been there, done that and just wondering why Mr. Jayco couldn't have done the same so I didn't have to :) After manufacturing a zillion units, on what,apparently, is minuscule margins I guess there is not enough pennies left in their kitty to allow them use the right gauge and length in the first place.