No Options Apply Watch your "Weight"

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
Watch your weights people you may be in for a shock if you get pulled over. Whilst building my new tug over the last few months I wanted to get it weighed so I knew where I was at as I went along, I got the Expanda weighed as well and it is 168kg over weight. I have had both the tug and the van weighed twice now using 2 different certified bridges, the reason behind getting it done twice was that I didn't think the first weights were right but alas they were.

My Expanda is a 2010 14.44.3 Outback model, it has a shower toilet combo and the weights stamped on the plate are as follows Tare weight 1557, GTM 1827 and ATM 1932 and as it sits at the moment it weighs 2100kg. Now I ensured that it was full of water when weighed so ill put up a break down of what I believe my approximate weights should be.
2 X water tanks 83lts, 166kg
Hot water system full 15lt, 15kg
Flush tank full 15lt, 15kg
2 X 9kg gas bottles full, 35kg
Battery, 30kg
38lt Engel Eclipse fridge empty 22kg
8 X 9ft poles and the PVC holder they are in 15kg
Aussie Traveller AFK and the alloy box they live in 15kg
Pegs and ropes in 2 bags 10kg
Out board motor bracket 5kg
Annex, porch and sun shades 30kg
2 hoses, ladder, broom, levellers, sullage hose, and a couple of blocks of wood 10kg
The usual plates knives, forks, mugs, plastic cups a few cooking pots and pans, cleaning stuff, toiletries, torches and bits and pieces which ill allow 50kg for.

So altogether above we have 418kg add that to my Tare weight 1557kg + 418kg = 1975kg which is 43kg over my allowed ATM without the ball weight, add the ball weight which is 130kg and we get 2105kg which is very close to the 2100kg I got form the bridges. This is with no food or drinks on board lets call this 40kg I also carry heaps of other stuff like an outboard motor 30kg, fuel 20kg, baby Weber Q 10kg, so as you can see fully loaded I would be approximately 273kg over weight doesn't sound like much but I'm sure the scalies would have a field day with me if they pulled me over. All of these weights are approximates but they are close as it all adds up close to my end figure. This came as a bit of a shock to me as I simply didn't think I had that much weight onboard but as you can see it certainly all adds up very quickly.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Having owned a 14.44 it comes as no surprise, in fact most vans and tugs would be over........Your ATM includes the ball weight, without ball weight its called the GTM......just work on GTM and ATM on your van and GVM and GCM on your tug, ignore the tare weight on both it doesn't relate to anything in realty, just sounds good in some brochure..
Next surprise is check the LR on your rims and tyres, it could be the next shock, I just sold my RoH rims that I had fitted on my 14.44 so I could have tyres and rims that where rated to more than the load, since the Jayco set were inadequate, they should be at least 10% more than your max weight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Axl

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
I raised this overweight problem in general caravan discussion a couple of days ago.As Drover states,and I agree the number of overweight combinations on the road is huge.Some of the caravan mags are at fault in this regard.Plenty of info how to fit extra water tanks,grey water tank,toolboxes,extra batteries,(weigh a gel battery!!),more solar panels,another spare wheel ,etc.etc.Better alloy hardtop on the ute,with rack for tinny,the list goes on./!! Also take into consideration that many van manufactures are understating bare van weight on the plate.(Of course you now have to have full on suites ,plus marble tops,!!) I know a couple who wrote off the tow vehicle and van a few months ago.The insurance company paid out immediately on the Prado ,however taken months to pay out book value on the near new van.Would not pay out on all the extras fitted . I would hazard a guess that state transport depts are well aware of this overweight problem especially in QLD.!!

Last edited:

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Our new van has a capacity of 500kg, after looking at the pile on the garage floor plus water plus gas plus plus plus we will have to be careful as well

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Our new van has a capacity of 500kg, after looking at the pile on the garage floor plus water plus gas plus plus plus we will have to be careful as well

Is that taken using a real Tare weight, taken on a scale when actually empty of everything or just the fantasy figures in the pamphlet or compliance plate................you might have to throw the table and bed out to get close...lol,lol,lol...........PS: Toad population in TCB deleted by a couple.

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Good to see the toad reduction scheme is working well, I have asked for a local weighbridge ticket my main concern is all the crap that needs to go back in

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I keep saying to myself to stop at the bridge in Gympie when I pass thru to get a ticket for the Ute to see what it is when just local running and work from that, one day it might happen................Big Mal gets lighter each year as I leave more stuff in the shed, not much left to leave, we holiday lean and mean, could chuck the fishing gear for the use it gets.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I am not hopeless, I always hope to catch something .......................... just not regularly.