Exterior Washing machine drain.

Shane Norwell

Jan 11, 2015
Bunbury wa
Evening all. We've recently picked up our new 22.68.1 with a washing machine fitted. My question to the knowable folk here is what have you done with the drain from your washing machine? Ours also has shower toilet so already has the normal jayco twin outlet but also has I 3rd larger outlet dedicated to the washer. So have you got yourself a larger grey hose just for this or modify it with your other drains?

Thanks guys and
girls.

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
I have been looking around for some lay flat hose to go on our large outlet but no luck so far.
All I can find is 100mtr rolls over here in WA and that's $$$$

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
You want a hose that is not going to block because it will over flow into the van. I have our drains empty into a bucket with a lid with an overflow hole in it. I have the drain hose coming off the bucket. I did run a new drain so that the wm drains at the normal spot. I replaced all of the drains in my van with normal drain pipe.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
The first time we used the washing machine we were greeted by water flowing out the door.

Jayco just poked the drain hose from the washing machine into the PVC outlet pipe, and the water pressure forced it out so it emptied into the cupboard.

After mopping up I returned the hose to the pipe, and cable tied it so it stayed put.

Worth checking for others with washing machines.

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
haven't thought of layflat. I have the huge coiled hose and it's very hard to store.

Better find some fire hose
To get some old fire hose go to your local rural fire brigade and ask do they have any old 25mm canvas hose.

It is often percolating (this won't matter if outside of van) which means it does leak a little on the outside to keep it from burning, but it does not leak much if in good condition. If you are really lucky they may have some non percolating 25mm. They often discard hoses with leaks and may have some old hose around the station.

Good Luck, they might like a small donation as a thanks.
Regards
Terry

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
To get some old fire hose go to your local rural fire brigade and ask do they have any old 25mm canvas hose.

It is often percolating (this won't matter if outside of van) which means it does leak a little on the outside to keep it from burning, but it does not leak much if in good condition. If you are really lucky they may have some non percolating 25mm. They often discard hoses with leaks and may have some old hose around the station.

Good Luck, they might like a small donation as a thanks.
Regards
Terry

38mm would be better than 25mm for the washing machine.

I'm a firefighter so should be able to find some non percolating around the station somewhere

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
38mm would be better than 25mm for the washing machine.

I'm a firefighter so should be able to find some non percolating around the station somewhere
Don't disagree I was just thinking of size and weight of stored hose so suggested 25mm. Most Rural Fire Service hose is 38mm percolating, unless used for village and (Motor Vehicle Accidents) MVA firefighting, so also suggested non percolating if you can get it.
I agree 38mm should be easier to get, especially some nice old non percolating.
Regards Terry.
PS most of us firefighters often have some old leaky hose lying around in our home garage or shed, for odd jobs, it is really useful. Off topic, I find old 38mm or 65mm hose makes good bottom seals for shed doors, etc.

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

Shane Norwell

Jan 11, 2015
Bunbury wa
Thanks for your input guys, think I'll try the bucket with an outlet the size of our current hose first off to save carrying another hose.

Shane

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Like @Bellbirdweb our washing machine waste flooded van too on its first wash. The drain set up was just not capable of staying put, and was never going to work; I even rang the dealer to get whatever the parts were obviously missing ... unfortunately no parts were missing. If your WM waste plumbing is like mine it will flood, just a matter of time. Ill post up a pic of my remedy

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Thanks for your input guys, think I'll try the bucket with an outlet the size of our current hose first off to save carrying another hose.

Shane
I use the bucket idea along with the standard sullage hose. This Bunnings 10 Litre bucket is perfect, very solid with a lid; and all the hose, waste and tap fittings store inside ...
2015-02-27 12.36.40.jpg 2015-02-27 12.41.49.jpg

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Like @Bellbirdweb our washing machine waste flooded van too on its first wash. The drain set up was just not capable of staying put, and was never going to work; I even rang the dealer to get whatever the parts were obviously missing ... unfortunately no parts were missing. If your WM waste plumbing is like mine it will flood, just a matter of time. Ill post up a pic of my remedy
The WM set up, as the van was delivered, flooded because had the 19mm springy plastic WM waste was sitting unrestrained just inside the top of the 40mm PVC outlet inside the cabinet without any restraint. Its a recipe for disaster
2015-02-27 12.19.06.jpg
I cut a hole in a 40mm end cap and added a 100mm plastic tap raiser using both a male and female joiner
2015-02-27 12.19.51.jpg
Attached the WM waste with a hose clamp, cut a bit off the height of the 40mm PVC waste, and shoved it in. It will never leak inside the van again .... until the hose cracks, DOH
2015-02-27 12.20.57.jpg
I also found the under floor section of the 40mm PVC waste is completely unsupported and Jayco's chosen silastic doesn't stick to PVC (go figure). I screwed a Bunnings gal strap around the waste to give it some support.
2015-02-27 12.27.12.jpg

Reactions: Ligedy

ChrisFatboySydney

Feb 29, 2016
Sydney
What a brilliant idea!!

Mine leaked three times this weekend. Seems in my case to be mostly suds that don't go down the drain quick enough so end up spilling out of the drain pipe.

Fixed it temporarily by wrapping a cloth around the flex host before shoving it in the drain.

Reactions: Crusty181

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
What a brilliant idea!!

Mine leaked three times this weekend. Seems in my case to be mostly suds that don't go down the drain quick enough so end up spilling out of the drain pipe.

Fixed it temporarily by wrapping a cloth around the flex host before shoving it in the drain.
We've literally flogged the be-jesus out of our washing machine (living in it for a year), and bounced the the van about like a jumping pillow and its not leaked with that fitting

Reactions: ChrisFatboySydney

iana

Mar 27, 2016
Perth
Crusty 181, I did the same thing to a wash machine installed in my house, the problem is, that the hose going into an open pipe is there to prevent a syphon happening. By sealing that pipe, a syphon begins and your wash water begins disappearing down the drain during its cycles. I fixed the problem of a syphon happening by putting in a small hose open to atmosphere at the top of the loop, known as a syphon breaker.
In my van I have left the pipe and drain hose as installed, and added a surge tank under the floor, that's open at the top, if it fills, it will over flow on the ground, not in the van. The outlet of the surge tank is plumbed into my standard outlet hose.
So if the flow is greater than the capacity of my drain hose, the surge tank begins to fill up, it then drains as the wash machine goes into another cycle.

Reactions: Crusty181

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Crusty 181, I did the same thing to a wash machine installed in my house, the problem is, that the hose going into an open pipe is there to prevent a syphon happening. By sealing that pipe, a syphon begins and your wash water begins disappearing down the drain during its cycles. I fixed the problem of a syphon happening by putting in a small hose open to atmosphere at the top of the loop, known as a syphon breaker.
In my van I have left the pipe and drain hose as installed, and added a surge tank under the floor, that's open at the top, if it fills, it will over flow on the ground, not in the van. The outlet of the surge tank is plumbed into my standard outlet hose.
So if the flow is greater than the capacity of my drain hose, the surge tank begins to fill up, it then drains as the wash machine goes into another cycle.
Interesting, and quite logical. I haven't had an issue with blocking it off. I replaced all of the vans waste plumbing with 40mm PVC to a single 40mm exit point. The machine hose enters the 40mm 3/4 up the height of the machine, so in our case the a syphon cant happen. But a good point if smaller hose ran right to the exit point.

Is your surge tank a permanent install? Although we freecamp a lot and rarely use it, I have a 10ltr sump that sits on the ground with a 12v self priming auto pump fitted inside it. The pump will lift water (and coco pops) over 12ft for those c/park that put there sullage points uphill from the site. We dont often hard connect sullage pipes to the van.

Last edited: