Chassis Wall delamination, Journey outback

Smarty32

Nov 22, 2015
Tasmania
View attachment 45767 Checking if any anyone has had an internal delamination problem on their Outback Journey? (2015 fibreglass sides) noticed tonight on door side below forward upper wall vent internal wall has blistered and cracked. It looks as though water may have got between panels, although van has never been used in rain and kept under cover since new. Will follow up with Jayco Monday, still under warranty so no overly concerned other than inconvenience leading into Summer... interested in feedback

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Jayco when they cut a vent , hatch window etc just paint the foam with some blue crap that does little. And rely on the vent seal to water proof. Every hatch I have done or re done I have used sika and sealed the foam complete between outer and inner skins. So the not relying on the vent seal. It's worth checking on all vans imo

Reactions: BigSkiddy

jbell6660

Apr 30, 2011
Sydney
Guys I Can't open that attachment. Keep getting an Expandas Downunder error message - the requested attachment could not be found. Can you resend it. I am interested in looking at it as I have my Journey booked in with Jayco to have the internal wall ply replaced on 1 side for exact same reason. Thanks.

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
Hi, I can't open your attachment either. I had an issue with blistering on an internal wall below the vent also. Jayco replaced the damaged panel. After doing some research, I found that this has been an issue for a few caravan owners. It's caused by water ingress from the vent. Jayco don't seal the cut out very well and if water gets in it can run down on both the inside and outside of the internal panel. Water ingress from the vent can be worse if your roof, when closed is not aligned correctly as the water runs off the roof onto the top of the vent and into the vent. I have run a bead of silastic on the inside since mine was repaired so that if any water comes in it will simply flow back out, rather than into the caravan. Some owners have made covers for the vent and others have made small plastic gutters to stop the water coming in.
Cheers
Nick