Vinyl Carefree Awning Maintenance

LUK77Y

Dec 22, 2012
Central Coast - NSW
Looking for some advice on Carefree Awning seeping water through stitch seam on the actual van, as I have already attempted things like bees wax, water repellant (Selleys).

I'm also considering to see if it's feasible to simply replace the Vinyl without the entire rollout awning. Ideally like to find a local Sydney to Newcastle canvaser who do this or be recommended.

The current vinyl has some battle scars, particular from when the door is opened during roof raising or lowering as the sharp door corner has caught it.

Thanks in advance guys!

Mogsaway

Jun 10, 2013
Kellyville Ridge, N.S.W.
Have a look at caravanandrvworld.com.au They sell awnings with the roller in every size and colour. I was trolling the there last night, from memory there is 29 pages of awning bits at 9 per page so they have a reasonable range.

Not affiliated with them I was just amazed at their range.

LUK77Y

Dec 22, 2012
Central Coast - NSW
Thanks! after some stuffing about, it's my right side brake support arm now not sliding correct up the arm without decent force! cleaned out the track but still far to tight.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
@LUK77Y maybe a bit of silicone spray may help ?

Come to think of it my right hand one is a bit tight too, maybe it gets the spray from the road or its because of the force when opening the awning on that arm, just a thought

LUK77Y

Dec 22, 2012
Central Coast - NSW
yup tried that tonight ... reading a few blog posts, I'm going to move the tightening knob and flush the upper internal arm, before spraying with silicone spray and re-tightening knob. Looks as though it's the culprit for the tightness.

As for the seam leaking, by way of awning glide to van - it's all to do with correct setting the roller at 9pm or 3pm if your on the rear arm. Ensuring the vinyl is taut, some Selleys Water Repellant seams to have had an effect with no water dripping in through the seam now.

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
@LUK77Y maybe a bit of silicone spray may help ?

Come to think of it my right hand one is a bit tight too, maybe it gets the spray from the road or its because of the force when opening the awning on that arm, just a thought
Our van is brand new and ours is also tight. Have tried silicon spray but no change. Going in for first service and warranty tomorrow so will have them check it out.

BJ

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Got the van back today....

Not real happy with the service but that is another story.
as for the arm, nothing to say, he just said that there always seems to be one tighter generally. Funny that it always seems to be the leading arm. Will keep an eye on it and hit it with a bit more silicon spray tomorrow to see how it is. Might talk to the dealer instead (used a 3rd party jayco warranty mob today).

BJ

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
My awning has an annoying leak above the van door, probably from the seam. Anyone found a foolprrof method to fix this? Is the Selleys water repellent best bet?

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Leaking throught the stiching?
Yes, through the stitching.
On close inspection topay I noticed that the sail track has a very slight dip in it, so water collects in the middle. This would explain why the awning leaks (a lot) in the middle near the door.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Yes, through the stitching.
On close inspection topay I noticed that the sail track has a very slight dip in it, so water collects in the middle. This would explain why the awning leaks (a lot) in the middle near the door.

Interesting, I have "heard" but yet to try it but vasoline smeared over the external seam where it is leaking may help.

I have a tub of it to try but since I have bought the tub no rain to speak of :(!

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Interesting, I have "heard" but yet to try it but vasoline smeared over the external seam where it is leaking may help.

I have a tub of it to try but since I have bought the tub no rain to speak of :(!

I imagine that might work.
I did some googling and read someone that used surfboard wax successfully. They put wax and awning out in the sun, and then when hot/soft very diligently rubbed it through all stitching, then left it in the sun for the remainder of the day (out at full stretch so stitching holes were fully open.). Worked for them.

I had flagged it as a warranty item, so might try Jayco again. I noticed they had put silicon at both ends of the sail track to stop water entering the track. They made an absolute mess of the initially inadequate sealing around my toilet when taken in for warranty, so I have to get that fixed as well.