Vic - SA and return mid November

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Hey guys,

We are starting to plan a trip from SE Suburbs Vic, through to and around a bit of SA and returning back via central Victoria.

It will be my Wife, 3 kid (12/10 and 7) and myself.

Trip will be about 2 weeks max to fit in with time off work.

Thus far we have booked the first 3 nights at Adelaide Shores so the plan is to leave early (4am ish) and drive pretty much all day with breaks for the kids. We should be swimming in the pool mid/late afternoon and then spend a few days in/around Adelaide - any suggestions what to do and see?

We were thinking of (but not 100% committed yet) to going to Nuttbush Retreat for a few days with day trips out to Port Augusta and Whyalla. Nuttbush retreat is less of a resort for the kids and more somewhere to keep the van safe while we do our day trips.

Then we are thinking of heading somewhere North of Quorn to one of the "Working Farms" for a night or 2 - any suggestions for a base camp? A 4wd day trip would be nice.

Then over to Mildura for a day or 2 - the steamboat ride is already a must do item.

Next is on to Bendigo to visit friends for a day/night and then homeward bound so we can send the 12yo off on a 3 day camp that afternoon ;)

Really after suggestions of things to do and see from the base camps, suggestions for a possible alternative for either Nuttbush retreat or what to do in/around that area for a few days.

Any other trip thoughts also welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Vere

Oct 5, 2014
Adelaide
Hi @Macca_75
I live 20 minutes North of Adelaide Shore Park. Let me know if you run into any trouble and need assistance for anything

Vere

Oct 5, 2014
Adelaide
Appreciate that. My wife has never been to Adelaide before and is pretty keen to see some of the Churches and alike. Any suggestions for "tourists"?

Not sure our churches are any better than anywhere else just crap loads of them.

I would recommend avoiding our tourist points as they are just for taking your $$$ Saint Peter Cathedral on the northern side of town is nice.

Take drive out around the hills. Tanunda is not bad a drive from there to Whispering Wall is normally a hit with the kids (a dam which kids go each side and can talk quietly and hear on the other side

Reactions: Tone and Macca_75

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I can recommend the Aviation Museums, there's 2 of them , the Railway museum and the Maritime Museum they are great but then thats a personal choice hit, the Info centres for a great variety of attractions, we stayed at Adelaide Shores a few years back, not too bad with easy access to the beach...........on way home the Silo Art Trail which runs from Patchewallock to Sheep Hills in Vic can be toured in a day with a few interesting places to stop and camp if needed.

Reactions: Macca_75

Bazvan

Nov 4, 2015
Mt Evelyn
We are heading to SA in late oct/Nov also for a 3 week trip. Not much planned at this stage but lots of blog stalking to work out where we must go and what can be missed.

We are thinking of stopping in mount gambier first to explore the sinkhole gardens and blue lake.

Adelaide shores looks like a great place to visit with kids. Our two will be 12 & 8. Obviously we may need to think about booking it if you had already back in June?

Being a keen fisherman.. I like to be by the sea so thinking we will spend majority of the time on the coast and head inland on our way home.

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
I don't mind dropping a line myself and am considering a 1/2 charter somewhere - something else to try and look up.

I found a little video for a BIG4 in Renmark which had a pretty cool little modular bike track for the kids (along with all the other things we have come to expect at a BIG4). And it's on the way we were going to go home via Mildura anyway.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
How was the trip and cockatoo downs ??? I have thought of staying there
Did you go to wispering wall great spot
We stay at Brighton beach van park nice spot close to town right on the beach stayed there a few times now i think last 3 years at diffrent times

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
How was the trip and cockatoo downs ??? I have thought of staying there
Did you go to wispering wall great spot
We stay at Brighton beach van park nice spot close to town right on the beach stayed there a few times now i think last 3 years at different times
Really relaxing. Great spot for kids and the hosts are great. Even without kids it would be a relaxing spot to stay. The highlight for the kids was feeding the farm animals in the morning. All the activities were included - you wonder around and do as you please when it suits you. Definitely recommend 1 or 2 nights to break the drive from Melb - Adelaide (or vise versa).

Reactions: Drover

Vere

Oct 5, 2014
Adelaide
Really relaxing. Great spot for kids and the hosts are great. Even without kids it would be a relaxing spot to stay. The highlight for the kids was feeding the farm animals in the morning. All the activities were included - you wonder around and do as you please when it suits you. Definitely recommend 1 or 2 nights to break the drive from Melb - Adelaide (or vise versa).

I can recommend Cockatoo Downs as well. They have a truck which picks everyone up and drives around the farm stopping to talk about and feed the animals. Everyday the hosts would bring fire wood around for the evening. Archery, Canoeing, massive sandpit, Hay bail maze, Mega sandpit and all the animals all included. While being a very quiet relaxing place.

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
I can recommend Cockatoo Downs as well. They have a truck which picks everyone up and drives around the farm stopping to talk about and feed the animals. Everyday the hosts would bring fire wood around for the evening. Archery, Canoeing, massive sandpit, Hay bail maze, Mega sandpit and all the animals all included. While being a very quiet relaxing place.
Yeah - +1.

Great hosts, great place but I could only spend 1 or 2 nights there though with kids (depending what time of day you arrived)

It was also great to have a chat about farm life (it is a working sheep farm)