Chassis Vehicle Towing Mass Guide - 2014 Updated

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
A link was posted up a few days ago for this under 'site help' to answer a particular question . I thought it should be re-posted under the Technical Documents section instead. Mods, can it be made a sticky?

The Vehicle Mass Towing Guide is a list of all vehicles commercially available in Australia for at least the last 10 years. It lists their kerb weights and GVM, but also all their allowable towing weights, and conditions that need to be applied.

May 2012 is the most recent issue at the moment. EDIT: Nov 2016 (as at July 2018)
Of course it is a guide only, refer to manufacturers specifications, Expandas Downunder takes no responsibility etc etc etc
Untitled.jpg

COmbined-vehicle-weights-final-1024x512.jpg

Below is a download link to the most recent 2012 version. Also is the 2007 version, for cars dating back a little further to 1997

****2014 update
downloadable content now available below

****2016 update
downloadable content now available below

Attachments

• Vehicle Mass Towing Guide - May 2012 .pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 7,232
  • towingmassguidenov2007.pdf
    753.7 KB · Views: 2,983
  • Vehicle mass Towing Guide 2014.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,963
  • Vehicle Mass Towing Guide - Nov16.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 1,414
Last edited:

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Interesting read Andrew. I shattered thAt the Jaguar XK8 is not recommended for towing!

i have read before Toyota do not list a GCM for the 200, has caused some lively debate on lcool. The consenseous of those WITH upgraded GVMs is our GCM is GVM + Allowed tow weight (3500)= 7300kg

Ashevo

Aug 26, 2012
Karratha
I hate reading these posts! I now realise that I need a Load Levelling Hitch set up for my NP Pajero. I am under the 250kg tow ball weight limit but over the 135kg that says that I require a Load Levelling Hitch. I have a Trigg Hitch so am guessing that I will need to replace that as well. Who said ignorance is bliss? Better to be safe than sorry though!

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Ain't broke don't fix it. I towed a 2 tonne Expanda at speeds upto 140kph 110kph no problems ball wieght was about 200kg.

Reactions: nsfw and Bluey

Gadgets 21.63.1

aka - adam 18.57.9
Jun 29, 2013
mornington peninsula victoria
www.bifolds.co
the prado is rated at 3 tonne towing outside of australia, the nissans are cracking there chassies. i dont even notice the weight that i am towing. stable around the corners and plenty of power up the hills. had weights upto 2700kgs without any issues. great car for towing, the self leveling air bag suspension as standard is fantastic.

Peter D

Jun 12, 2011
Brisbane
I've looked at 6 or 8 different sites and I still can't find an unambiguous answer to my latest question: For the "legal towing mass" of the tug, are we concerned with the ATM or the GTM of the trailer? e.g. with a 2500kg rated towbar, can I tow a van with a GTM of 2500kg and ATM of <2750kg? This is what a van salesman seemed to be telling us recently, and when you consider that the towball weight gets included in the tug's GVM, it does only seem fair that you don't count the same weight twice by adding it to the total of the "towing mass."

I'd always assumed it was the ATM you went by, and the Towing Guide (p.2) says ATM, but it then mentions "including the towball mass/download rating". (Sorry, it won't let me cut and paste from the document).

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
I've looked at 6 or 8 different sites and I still can't find an unambiguous answer to my latest question: For the "legal towing mass" of the tug, are we concerned with the ATM or the GTM of the trailer? e.g. with a 2500kg rated towbar, can I tow a van with a GTM of 2500kg and ATM of <2750kg? This is what a van salesman seemed to be telling us recently, and when you consider that the towball weight gets included in the tug's GVM, it does only seem fair that you don't count the same weight twice by adding it to the total of the "towing mass."

I'd always assumed it was the ATM you went by, and the Towing Guide (p.2) says ATM, but it then mentions "including the towball mass/download rating". (Sorry, it won't let me cut and paste from the document).
It is the ATM you need to look at, that is what the legal eagles will look at in the event of an accident. Have been told that if the accident damages the towed load, beyond the ability to weigh the load, t hen the ATM will be considered as the load. Meaning if your car is rated to 2100kg, as an example, and the Tate mass of the caravan is 1900 kg with an ATM of 2250kg, the police and insurance companies will assume that the van is fully loaded, so you cannot tow it with a tug with a capability of less than the ATM.

Still ambiguous, since the total loaded weight will be used if the load can be weighed, eg roadside stop on a weigh bridge.

Reactions: Peter D

Peter D

Jun 12, 2011
Brisbane
Thanks Cracka, very important info. Best we find these things out before rather than after. And best not to take the salesman's word for it!:ambivalence:

Peter D

Jun 12, 2011
Brisbane
Well, the van salesman we've been speaking to is sticking to his guns. He maintains that the GTM is the figure that must be less than the maximum towing mass rating of the tow vehicle. Staking his 20 years experience and Jayco's reputation on it. :noidea:!

Peter D

Jun 12, 2011
Brisbane
I emailed Jayco today and they got back to me this afternoon with "It is the ATM that can not exceed the tow weight of the motor vehicle I hope this helps you."

I can accept this verdict, but we've currently got a deposit on a van with an ATM that is too heavy for one of the tugs we intend to tow it with, and on the strength of the salesman reassuring us that it's the GTM that can't exceed the tow weight, we've got half the family with their hearts set on getting this van.:boom:

The Alberto

Oct 19, 2012
Rockhampton QLD
If this bloke has been doing it for 20 years and staked his reputation on this - how many people he has potentially sent out there with illegal set ups?

I might be wrong, but my understanding of Trailer Weights is this:

TARE weight is the unladen kerb weight of the Van and is calculated when first registered. Therefore if you register a van with just one battery and you then add a second battery, the Tare weight on the complience plate will include the weight of the original battery but not the second. Therefore this additional 40 odd kgs will eat into the "Carrying Weight" - similarly for any and all other aftermarket modifications.
CARRYING WEIGHT - The manufacturer's allowance for what you can load into the van - eg. Clothing, additional batteries, Water, Food, Cooking items etc.
GTM (Gross Trailer Mass) is calculated by adding the TARE weight and the "Carrying Weight" together and is measured at the axle group.
ATM - (Aggregate Trailer Mass) is the ACTUAL TOTAL legal towing weight of the van. The ATM is calculated by taking the GTM PLUS the TowBall Weight. This is then measured at the axle group AND at the towball.

IMO it is a bit concerning that an obviously experienced dealer is telling people that the ATM figure can be higher than the maximum towing capacity of the Tug as long as the GTM is under. That is just trouble waiting to happen.

Reactions: 17triton

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi
I emailed Jayco today and they got back to me this afternoon with "It is the ATM that can not exceed the tow weight of the motor vehicle I hope this helps you."

I can accept this verdict, but we've currently got a deposit on a van with an ATM that is too heavy for one of the tugs we intend to tow it with, and on the strength of the salesman reassuring us that it's the GTM that can't exceed the tow weight, we've got half the family with their hearts set on getting this van.:boom:
hi Peter,
That's a bit of a bugger, our salesman at camperland, first question to us was what vehicle have you got for towing, then he went through the vans ATM's and told us which vans we could and couldn't tow with the Prado. Maybe you are in a position to discuss options with the dealer to change the model based on their salesman's poor advice.

HM