Using a Laptop in Caravan for TV

WAcountry

Nov 2, 2012
Just wondering if people use a laptop in there van, instead of buying television? What setup they used?

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
A usb tuner with the latest microsoft media center would be good, because you could also record, but a tv is easier if you ask me.

Geoff

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
If I could mount a laptop or iMac to the wall then I would have gone for one of those options simply because there is so much more you can do with a PC than just a straight TV. But I gave up in the end trying to work out how to mount one of these.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Brad, Google a company called RAM. They may have a solution for mounting a laptop.

Cheers Geoff

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
I actually use the best of both worlds approach.

Use a TV on the shelf for Sound and Picture

Laptop is then in a cupbourd underneath - out of site and run's media centre with a dual tuner - this way I have full TV guide, ability to pause rewind, record. and also since the van is next to the house I can usually go into the van the night before heading off and can quickly copy any recorded tv for the Media centre in the house that I havent had a chance to watch yet, you know - stuff like bananas in pajamas and Anjelina Balerina. Or Movies etc. But all over wifi very easy -

In fact all I have to do is switch the laptop in the van on - the rest I can do from inside the house.

If anyone would like further details on this I'd be happy to start a thread on it and take some pics etc. By far a superior solution to a simple tv with crappy epg though...

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield

Laptop is then in a cupbourd underneath - out of site and run's media centre with a dual tuner - this way I have full TV guide, ability to pause rewind, record. and also since the van is next to the house I can usually go into the van the night before heading off and can quickly copy any recorded tv for the Media centre in the house that I havent had a chance to watch yet, you know - stuff like bananas in pajamas and Anjelina Balerina. Or Movies etc. But all over wifi very easy -

In fact all I have to do is switch the laptop in the van on - the rest I can do from inside the house.

If anyone would like further details on this I'd be happy to start a thread on it and take some pics etc. By far a superior solution to a simple tv with crappy epg though...
Zero,
would love to see more on that set up, i have been considering my options for something similar

mrhappi

Oct 24, 2012
Ipswich

That sounds like a sweet set up. PC I take it?

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Yes Zero, start the thread!

Our house is a mix of Media Center/ XBoxes, Apple and Telstra T boxes. I bought a second T Box so I could record TV in the house and then quickly connect it to the TV in the van when we go away, haven't done that yet. I think media center is great, I use it and stream recorded TV thru the XBox in our lounge room. Anyway, the best thing so far when we go away is that we hardly watch TV. But when we get home my wife and kids make up for it big time. Thats why I get on the forum!!

Geoff