17' Series Upholstery coming apart

Navman

Jun 28, 2013
Hi everyone! We have an expanda 17.56.1 which is only 8 months old and has been used only a small number of times. We are currently away on holidays now and the upholstery on the seats are coming apart at the seams. Contacted our Jayco dealer who has straight away organised a warranty replacement which is awesome, but am curious to know if anyone else has had any problems with their cushions. We are very careful with our van and look after it so it is not from abuse. Even so I would not expect this to happen after such a short amount of time. Thanks in advance :)

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
My 2012 17-56-1 has just started to show signs of the stitching opening as well. I hope to get jayco to look at it, it is out of warranty but hope they will come good on it. Just on one of the lounge bases.

Feb 21, 2014
Wimmera in Victoria
Our van is a 2012 built Expanda and we had used ours about twice and the base of our seat had also started to split quite badly, when I opened up the cushion to check it just looks like they haven't sewn enough seam allowance, Jayco replaced it for us which was great.
As we had been very careful, after only 2 uses you just don't expect something like that to happen.
I hope they can replace yours too.

Chooky

Jan 14, 2013
Glenden, Qld
Ours did the same and has been replaced but unable to get the same material, had to get the same as the back rest. We put it down to maybe when the bases were slipping forward all the time (because of the useless little velcro dots that they use) and part of the mattress was hanging over the edge when being sat on and maybe pulling on that seam. Have since fitted full length of velcro and now they don't move.

Reactions: blacky

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Hi @Navman on our 3 month trip last year one of our seats started to do exactly the same I assume, that is split at the point where the flat part of the cushion joins the raised front section if you understand where I mean. Jayco had no dramas replacing both seats and didn't ask for the old ones back so Jackie ripped the covers off, repaired the seams and put the covers back on. Little bit of a job to do but the seam hasn't come apart again and we have 2 brand new seats still sealed in the plastic in the spare room.

Dave

Reactions: Navman and Ren77

Tayla

Mar 9, 2013
Melbourne, Victoria
We had exactly the same problem on both seats. We have been very careful with ours also but this holiday the seam has completely separated. Jayco gave us new seat covers at our first service.

Homebrewpig

Feb 27, 2013
We have a 2013 17.56.1 and we have had the same problem of the stitching coming apart, it's like if it's stitched to tight? We took it back to a authorised dealer, who at the start really didn't want to know us because we didn't purchase the van off them. After I informed them that their price originally wasnt in the ball park and a bit of colourful language they took some photos and hopefuly jayco come to the party.

Reactions: blacky

Navman

Jun 28, 2013
Sorry for not replying sooner. Wasn't getting email notifications! We have just returned from our 3 week trip and both seats in the dining area have well and truly come apart. I haven't heard back yet from our dealer but he had CC'd me into an email he sent to Jayco requested that our cushions be remade. I shall give it another week or so and then contact them to see how long. Heres hoping that when we get our replacement that he colour matches the backs ( we have seats and bolsters in same fabric) and that they are stitched properly. I have noticed as they have come apart the the seat cushions are in two parts and then stitched together which I think may be the problem. Doesn't appear to be enough "give" in the fabric. Other than this, love this van!!!

Navman

Jun 28, 2013
Hi @Navman on our 3 month trip last year one of our seats started to do exactly the same I assume, that is split at the point where the flat part of the cushion joins the raised front section if you understand where I mean. Jayco had no dramas replacing both seats and didn't ask for the old ones back so Jackie ripped the covers off, repaired the seams and put the covers back on. Little bit of a job to do but the seam hasn't come apart again and we have 2 brand new seats still sealed in the plastic in the spare room.

Dave
Hi Dave, This is exactly where ours have come apart too! Love the idea about repairing the old ones and having the new ones as a spare. Might try doing that too if given the chance. Guessing they are good to keep for when time comes to upgrade :)

Navman

Jun 28, 2013
We have a 2013 17.56.1 and we have had the same problem of the stitching coming apart, it's like if it's stitched to tight? We took it back to a authorised dealer, who at the start really didn't want to know us because we didn't purchase the van off them. After I informed them that their price originally wasnt in the ball park and a bit of colourful language they took some photos and hopefuly jayco come to the party.
Good luck! I think it is fair to assume that the upholstery should last a lot longer than this.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Both our dinette seats in our August 2012 17-56.2 have split right along the seams on this trip. Not good enough after how careful we are with the van and being just over 2 years old. >:(

Will be taking it up with the dealer when we get back home....

IMG_2727.jpg IMG_2728.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: mfexpanda

Navman

Jun 28, 2013
Ours ended up getting replaced no worries at all. The new cushion covers seem much better and not quite as tight at the joins suggesting a little more fabric was used to allow some give when you sit down. We were within the 12 month warranty period when we claimed but they really should replace them as it is not unreasonable to expect that they should last longer. Best of luck :)

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
They knocked me back on mine 6 months out of warranty :( bit peeved off but not the end of the world. Couldn't be bothered going further but good luck to you.

Last edited: