Upgrading Flamingo OB to Expanda 17.56-1 OB

NomesyG

Oct 8, 2017
Western Victoria
Hey guys, I’m new around here, be kind ;)

Hubs and I are seriously considering upgrading our 2013 Flamingo OB to a 2017 Expanda 17.56-1 OB. Been offered a good trade price, which makes it all the more tempting.

He had shoulder surgery 12 moths ago, and while he’s almost 100% healed, it’s still physically demanding on him when setting up and packing up the Flamingo.

I’d love to hear the good, bad and ugly from those who have gone from camper to Expanda!

Reactions: bigcol

Ted&Na

Nov 3, 2015
Cameron Park
Expandas are easy to set up, i would say the hardest physical activity is winding the jockey wheel and stabilisers :) the pop top and expandable ends are all on struts so they can be done with one hand if needed.

Reactions: NomesyG

Papa Whiskey

Sep 3, 2017
Maryborough, QLD
Don’t know about good, bad and ugly, but I am in exactly the same circumstance as you guys. We had a Swan outback and then I also had major shoulder surgery in May last year.

As there are only two of us we decided on the 14.4.5 with full en-suite and only one bed to fold out! Fingers crossed, expecting delivery at the end of this month. From everything I have read on here, we will both be over the moon with our “ pandas”.

Reactions: bigcol and NomesyG

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I would be going to a yard to check lifting the top and bed ends if you have shoulder surgery as a pop top these days can have an air con, solar panels and antenna and can be fairly heavy even with the struts and the bed ends can be a problem to get the last bit to latch. That being said, my wife lifts one end of our Journey while I lift the heavy end. But she could lift the top on our 14' Expanda on her own (no air con, solar or antenna).

Apart from that, you will be very happy with the Expanda. Good luck with your choice.

mrsmfexpanda

May 27, 2015
Brookfield
What about looing at starcraft as with the expanda still have to pack up bed ends and popping the roof elevating shoulder above head height possible risk of dislocation. .
It depends if you stay outside a lot or only in the van at parks, if you look at most of the older members on tge firum all have had expandas now on to starcrafts journeys and silverlines.
Expanadas are ok but your still in a tentvend and after a finch, a swan and 2 exoandas i wasnover the bed ends and traded up its judt food for thought depending on your budget

NomesyG

Oct 8, 2017
Western Victoria
I would be going to a yard to check lifting the top and bed ends if you have shoulder surgery as a pop top these days can have an air con, solar panels and antenna and can be fairly heavy even with the struts and the bed ends can be a problem to get the last bit to latch. That being said, my wife lifts one end of our Journey while I lift the heavy end. But she could lift the top on our 14' Expanda on her own (no air con, solar or antenna).

Apart from that, you will be very happy with the Expanda. Good luck with your choice.

We did just that yesterday. Our local dealer had received delivery of a brand new van, sales guy asked us help him open/set everything up, just to see how easy it is. Without using his weak arm, hubs was able to pop the roof with ease, and I was able to open the bed ends myself. The wind out awning will be a novelty, after a bag awning on the flamingo!

I think we know what we want, I just like hearing other people’s stories :)

NomesyG

Oct 8, 2017
Western Victoria
What about looing at starcraft as with the expanda still have to pack up bed ends and popping the roof elevating shoulder above head height possible risk of dislocation. .
It depends if you stay outside a lot or only in the van at parks, if you look at most of the older members on tge firum all have had expandas now on to starcrafts journeys and silverlines.
Expanadas are ok but your still in a tentvend and after a finch, a swan and 2 exoandas i wasnover the bed ends and traded up its judt food for thought depending on your budget

Don’t worry, we did consider a Starcraft last year, not long after his injury. We persevered with the flamingo, and I was the muscle while he recovered, but we keep coming back to the Expanda, especially with the space they offer for a young family.

He’s so ridiculously careful of the shoulder, and his surgeon did such a great job, there’s little chance of another dislocation. Fingers crossed anyway

NomesyG

Oct 8, 2017
Western Victoria
Don’t know about good, bad and ugly, but I am in exactly the same circumstance as you guys. We had a Swan outback and then I also had major shoulder surgery in May last year.

As there are only two of us we decided on the 14.4.5 with full en-suite and only one bed to fold out! Fingers crossed, expecting delivery at the end of this month. From everything I have read on here, we will both be over the moon with our “ pandas”.

How exciting! We haven’t ordered yet, but I’ll be interested to see how you enjoy your upgrade.

We decided against the ensuite, perhaps when there’s no icky children to clean up after, I’ll consider it lol

I’m sorry to hear about your surgery, I hope your recovery has been positive.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I went from an '09 Flamingo to the 2013 - 16.49.1 expanda
apart from having a 3 piece mattress (which sucks more than a Hoover) everything else on the expanda beats the Flamingo
I have since taken the little bit of the mattress off, and have a bed topper from Ikea
the bed is better, but not as good as the Flamingo
we have now swapped to the back bed (as its bigger than the front) so see how that goes...........
I am also no lightweight.... the name Bigcol gives you a hint..... so it may just be thats whats wrong..........

setup time is slightly quicker, but then I do gin around......

you will love it

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hey guys, I’m new around here, be kind ;)

Hubs and I are seriously considering upgrading our 2013 Flamingo OB to a 2017 Expanda 17.56-1 OB. Been offered a good trade price, which makes it all the more tempting.

He had shoulder surgery 12 moths ago, and while he’s almost 100% healed, it’s still physically demanding on him when setting up and packing up the Flamingo.

I’d love to hear the good, bad and ugly from those who have gone from camper to Expanda!
I think for resale a bathroom would be a good choice; not only return value but the broader market expectation of having a bathroom. Just because you have it doesnt mean youll have to use it, but on those cold wet nights its a blessing and the negative aspect of using it is very manageable. Our rule is if there is a toilet elsewhere within 500mtrs use that one. Making each kid empty and clean the toilet tank at least once builds a healthy respect for using the toilet.

We went camping the recent Grand Final weekend with friends in their new camper trailer, and they'd not seen our 20ft van before. The second morning after a very cold and drizzly night, he said to me in passing "you know, when you arrived yesterday with your giant caravan and its toilet and bathroom and crap I thought that's rubbish, who needs that. But my opinion change quite dramatically at around 3am this morning. Now I want one too"