14' Series Tyres

Aug 20, 2016
Yackandandah
Can anyone tell me why I'm going through tyres so quickly? Got 6000kms and the RHS tyre scrubbed down in the inside.... its done this twice now. Van has had wheel alignments done before going on trips etc. Van is a 2016 14.44. Usually only the 1 tyre. Wondering if anyone else is having these issues.
Cheers
Craig

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Is the wear on the inside edge, smooth or scalloped ??

Is the LH tyre evenly worn or does it show signs of scrubbing on the edges as well, however light ???

Are both tyres at an equal pressure ?

Has the axle been flipped on the springs ??
Throw up a pic of both tyres..........

Could be a number of things but the type of wear and location is important especially if only one tyre showing wear ................ could be a slight adjustment needed or the wheel bearing is shot or loose which is what I'm leaning towards.... bent stubs are not common nowadays....

The only place to get a van wheel alighnment is a truck align place, van shops really can't do them properly,

PS: Missed one thing, if only one tyre then the spring on that side could be sagging or worn hangers, on level surface measure from top of axle or fish plate to chassis on each side they should be practically the same gap.

Last edited:
Reactions: Craig and Leanne
Aug 20, 2016
Yackandandah
Is the wear on the inside edge, smooth or scalloped ??

Is the LH tyre evenly worn or does it show signs of scrubbing on the edges as well, however light ???

Are both tyres at an equal pressure ?

Has the axle been flipped on the springs ??
Throw up a pic of both tyres..........

Could be a number of things but the type of wear and location is important especially if only one tyre showing wear ................ could be a slight adjustment needed or the wheel bearing is shot or loose which is what I'm leaning towards.... bent stubs are not common nowadays....

The only place to get a van wheel alighnment is a truck align place, van shops really can't do them properly,

PS: Missed one thing, if only one tyre then the spring on that side could be sagging or worn hangers, on level surface measure from top of axle or fish plate to chassis on each side they should be practically the same gap.
Thanks mate, 1 tyre only on the inside of the tyre and I'd say smooth but it was down to the wire. Rest of the tyre was fine. Opposite tyre was fine but a tiny bit of wear but it's been on longer. No axle flipping and tyre pressures were the same. Might take it to a truck place to get an alignment.
Cheers

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
I would do my own alignment check first. Use a 1 metre(ish) straight edge and a 1 metre ruler (shorter ruler works but is more awkward). Lay straight edge along tyre casing, just above rim, and not across any bumps/printing on the casing, and parallel to the chassis. Measure/compare the distance at both ends to the chassis rail. Make sure the ruler is square to the rail and do a couple of measures to be sure.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thanks mate, 1 tyre only on the inside of the tyre and I'd say smooth but it was down to the wire. Rest of the tyre was fine. Opposite tyre was fine but a tiny bit of wear but it's been on longer. No axle flipping and tyre pressures were the same. Might take it to a truck place to get an alignment.
Cheers

Just the one wheel certainly sounds like bearing, worn hangar bolt, sad spring or stub axle bent. but could be dodgy tyre if its some chinky no name ...

Check the bearings first, just jack it up, under the fish plate not from the chassis and give the wheel a shake, rotate 90 deg and shake again should be no clunk or movement .......

With both wheels on the ground measure from top of axle or fish plate to chassis, same spot on both sides, it should be very close to the same measurement, too much and a spring is getting sad...........

Also check the spring bushes and bolts if one is flogged out or worn bolt it will cause the same sort of wear, to check van on hard level surface with jack stand under draw bar, support chassis with jack stand so load off axle, and pull off each bolt to check wear you can also see if bush in spring is round or not, a bottle jack under axle is needed as well and of course wheel is removed..........

or a truck align shop does make things easier.

Never lift van wheels unless draw bar is supported by a jack stand, never with the jockey wheel and never get under if just supported by a jack, always use a jack stand under the chassis.

I had one of the 4 on Big Mal start to wear on inside one trip and by time I got home it had increased, a run around with the tape measure pointed to a spring sagging so replaced all four springs, 80K km roughly done which is about the life of the springs on my rig, totally different set up to yours but the theory is the same, new bearings would have been cheaper though.

Reactions: jazzeddie1234