Exterior Tyre's

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
My Expanda needs a new set of shoe's 14.44.3, she still has the original Savero's on and they are approaching 7 years old so time to go. Now we only do 500-1000klms a year so I cant justify spending to much, as we all know the load rating is important when you are thinking tyres for a van and at nearly 2t fully loaded I need a rating of 108 or higher so of course they will have to be and A/T tyre.

I run Toyo A/T II's on the Pajero and I'd like to put these on the van but in 6 or 7 years time they will be thrown out having travelled around 5000klms (if that) and I cant justify nearly $300 a tyre to throw them out having travelled next to nothing.

So after some searching I found these and when I rang for a quote I was given a price of $160 down from $190. They have the load index I was after higher actually, they have a 110 load index rating and that is a higher load rating than the original Savero's so at that price I'm thinking go for it.

Appreciate your thoughts.

https://www.bobjane.com.au/tyres/j-trax/

jt.JPG

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
You wouldn't want to go any less than the 110 load index actually, gives a bit of lee way, in fact my old 14.44.3 the original tyres were too low, anyway I have 3 x RoH rims with tyres 2 of which have only done about 2 ,000km, 1 brand new, rims are 15 x 7's and tyres are 215's I think, in very good nick and removed them when I sold the Tardis, PM me if interested.

Reactions: Axl and bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
there is a distinct gamble with un known tyres

one of the reasons why USA tyres were banned from Australia (until mid 70's) was the profile that sits on the rim
in Australia, we have "safety rims" that have a small lip / bump to hold the tyre edge against the bead - that "pop" sound when fitting new tyres onto rims
they changed the width of the Tyres world wide in mid 70's so all markets - USA, Europe, Australasia had the same profile thickness

China has never (to my knowledge) had the "safety rim"

my concern is with them seating properly on the rim

but then I would also be looking at Gumtree or such for good second hand ones
I brought 5 285/75R17 for the Cruiser - all new - all were the spare - all were in date - and all were $100 (new price $400+)
took about 3 weeks to get them individually
or rotate your Paj ones onto the Van when you get new tyres on that

Reactions: Axl

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I should also say that - yes there is a gamble with unknown tyres new to the market

sometimes it pays off

it never has for me :-
- brought a brand new set of ATV 12R's (1993) when first on Aust market - went out of round in 10K kms
- brought a brand new set of Khumo's (1995) when they first hit the Aust Market - went out of round in 10K kms
- brought a brand new set of Roadstone's (2002) when they first hit the Aust Market - went out of round in 8K kms

I have given up on buying cheap, to save $$$$$$$ because it always costs me more later on to replace

Reactions: KECL and Axl

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
Or you could go to the beach at Rainbow for a picnic and pick some good wheels, Maxtrek 225 70 x 15,

View attachment 56869

Thanks very much for the offer @Drover but ill stick with what I have for now, when I spoke to the guys at the shop they told me that these tyres are made by Bridgestone for Bob Jane so with the 110 load index rating and the low kilometres they will do over the time they are on my van I believe they will do the job.

Last edited:
Reactions: cruza driver

Glenn todd

Sep 16, 2014
Thanks very much for the offer @Drover but ill stick with what I have for now, when I spoke to the guys at the shop they told me that these tyres are made by Bridgestone for Bob Jane so with the 110 load index rating and the low kilometres they will do over the time they are on my van I believe they will do the job.

Glenn todd

Sep 16, 2014
Hi There .
You can safely purchase the Nankang branded tyres which are suitable for commercial vehicles which carry the same load rating.
I fitted them all the time on commercial vehicles, and have never had a come back.

Regards .