Tyre pressure

Lisao

Jun 7, 2011
Melbourne
Hi guys,

Just wondering if everyone has there tyre pressure on 32 psi on there expandas. The dealer recommended this to us on our van but the tyres actully look a little flat to me. I wonder if the the standard tyres are light truck construction because if they are they could handle more pressure there for more fuel saving, less drag!!

drewy

May 29, 2011
South East Melbourne
The tyres are filled with Nitrogen from new, that's ment to save fuel (I have my doubts).
Have a look at the tyres, they will state what max pressure they can handle, the only down sides to higher preasures can be a rougher ride for your van and possible uneven tyre wear.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
G'day Lisa I run 40psi in mine on the bitumen and on long distance dirt roads I run 28-30 psi and have never had a problem with tyre wear or the the tyres getting damaged on dirt roads.

I also no longer have Nitrogen in mine as I have had them flipped on the rims so the white writing is facing out on the tyres :smile:

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I too usually run mine on the blacktop at 40psi, without any problems. It tows really well.
On the dirt I dropped them to 28psi and on a couple of heavily corrugated stretches of "road" I was constantly juggling them and finally settled on 22psi. This was done to try and preserve the van as best we could and we travelled around 55-60km/h for most of those sections. I also have the optional 16" rims on mine that (IIRC) have a slightly taller sidewall, allowing a bit more flex with lower pressures.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Any of you guys have a recommendation for a decent 12v compressor .

I have an old ARB one, probably 7-8 years old and still going strong. IMO worth the extra money.

I'm going to pump mine up to 40psi today, i think the standard pressure is the reason i get crappy fuel economy. Mine definatley bag out a fair bit at 32psi. They always look flat to me and i was worried the side walls would overheat and blow out!

Reactions: mfexpanda

Lisao

Jun 7, 2011
Melbourne
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replys that's exactly what I was thinking 40 psi because that's what I run on my car but my car dosnt weigh 2 tonne. Just wanted to make sure. I'm pritty sure you can top up your tyres with air to a certain percent and it won't make a difference to the nitrogen.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Personally I wouldn't be to concerned about the Nitrogen mine has done a bit over 7,000k without it, and you can just top up with air. If you ever get a puncture the tyre fitter would normally be just be using air anyway.
Here is a pic after I got my tyres flipped on the rims but i reused the green valve caps for that factory look :yo: The reason I flipped them was to have the white writing facing out to match the Cruiser :thumb:
006.jpg

Having nearly 2 tonne on a single axle the tyres do look low in pressure

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Also, most retailers will charge you to fill your tyres with nitrogen.
The air we breathe is 78% nitrogen anyway, and unless you require absolute stability in your tyre pressures (race car) or cruising at 30,000ft+, (aircraft tyres are filled with 100% nitrogen) it's not really necessary

Hey CD, are they the tyres that your Expanda came with from the factory?
I only ask because the 3 of us who travelled together last year and all bought Expandas within a month of each other all had different brands of tyres fitted, even though we all had the same tyre size.

drewy

May 29, 2011
South East Melbourne
Also, most retailers will charge you to fill your tyres with nitrogen.
The air we breathe is 78% nitrogen anyway, and unless you require absolute stability in your tyre pressures (race car) or cruising at 30,000ft+, (aircraft tyres are filled with 100% nitrogen) it's not really necessary

I only ask because the 3 of us who travelled together last year and all bought Expandas within a month of each other all had different brands of tyres fitted, even though we all had the same tyre size.

Hey Matty4,
What pressures do you run on the Hwy with the tandem axle?

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Yes mate there the tyres that came with the Expanda from factory its a 12/2010 build. :tea:

NissPat

Jul 30, 2011
ACT
On my compliance plate it states max pressures cold are 200kpa or 29psi. Which is very low for my liking, and they look low too. Is it because of tandem setup?
DSCN0455.JPG

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
My compliance plate also has a max cold inflation of 200kpa. I've never really paid attention to the plates recommendations, rather the actual tyres recommendation, which is max of 44psi. Hence why I run 40psi on the blacktop.

Reactions: NissPat

NissPat

Jul 30, 2011
ACT
My compliance plate also has a max cold inflation of 200kpa. I've never really paid attention to the plates recommendations, rather the actual tyres recommendation, which is max of 44psi. Hence why I run 40psi on the blacktop.

Yeah I thought as much. I did ask the guy at Jayco and he said stick to 29psi which I though was very low when the tyre recommendations are very different.

Cheers

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
38 - 40 psi.

Wish they would put kpa and psi on the plate (or just psi); Who uses kpa anyway? I never hear anyone (in the car industry, aviation industry, motor sport) refer to TP in Kpa!

salsimo

Mar 14, 2011
Vic sthest Melbourne
When they put nitro in the racing car tyre the have a machine that pumps it up and down from certain pressures (say 10psi to 50psi ) to know the percent of nitro in in the tyre due to when the tyre is placed on the rim is is fully of air so ratio of air to nitro is very high first time pumped up with nitro .nitrogen is a enert gas so it doesn't change pressure with temp.What do you think Jayco do ?