Suspension Tyre Pressure Cold/Hot

Rendaz

Nov 15, 2016
Sydney
Hi i have just recently purchased a 18.58.2 Expanda Outback. Looking at the tyre pressure card it recommends that between 310kpa and 345kpa cold (44.9 - 50) psi. Tyres are LT235/75R15. I decided to run 48.0psi cold as shown in my tyre gauge and these are the results hot after 2 hours of freeway driving mind you the day was 39 degrees outside. On the return trip home being a 20 degree day a week later the tyre pressure only went up 4 psi overall all round. Just seeing if any one else has been experimenting with their pressure.

Attachments

• Tyre Gauge.jpg
    Tyre Gauge.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 302
Reactions: skippy

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Hi @Rendaz, I have a 21.64-1 but the tyre placard is the same as yours.

I run 40psi cold and find they usually increase somewhere between 4-6psi.

Temperature wise they normally sit at 40-44 degrees pretty much all the time.

My tyre monitor watches all 11 tyres on the tug/van.

The fronts usually run slightly higher and warmer than the rears.

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
I run 44psi cold. Rises to 48psi on a hot day after a long run. Never seen 50psi.
I usually put about 48 in the spare as I don't tend to pay it much attention and can always let air out if I need it. (I also carry a compressor and a set of tyre repair plugs).

Rendaz

Nov 15, 2016
Sydney
I run 44psi cold. Rises to 48psi on a hot day after a long run. Never seen 50psi.
I usually put about 48 in the spare as I don't tend to pay it much attention and can always let air out if I need it. (I also carry a compressor and a set of tyre repair plugs).

Thanks for that, its interesting seeing what people run, im going to experiment a bit this holiday just to see what higher and lower does to the hot temperature.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I usually run at about 45psi

not too worried about the temp or pressure once I get to where I'm going

below about 42 it feels sluggish
above feels bouncey

Reactions: dagree

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
With an ambient temp of around 30 deg if your tyre pressure increases 4 -6 psi all is good, if they go higher your cold pressure is too low, if it only increases below 4 then too high........thats the general rule of thumb...
If its going to be getting to near 40 deg outside then lower the pressure, running at too high pressure and high temp will pop your tyre quick smart.

This link is an excellant site to get your pressure correct https://caravanchronicles.com/guides/calculate-the-correct-tyre-pressure-for-your-caravan/
The pressures on the compliance plate are a guess just like the weights............depending on tyre size and load ratings, your pressures may not be the same as someone else's.
I travel with a repair kit as well as tyre levers, while I will plug a tyre the levers are when I'm up the creek, a last resort.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Hi bellbird you mentioned you use a tyre monitor that watches all 11 tyres on the tug/van., can you tell us which one you use.

I have an AVE TPMS off eBay, similar to this one https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271507096234

I have the internal sensors fitted to 6 wheels on the tug (2 spares) and the 5 on the van.

It allows me to turn on or off the towing mode to ignore the van tyres when not towing.

It also allows 2 different set points in the tug and van, so I run 50 cold in the tug and 40 cold on the van and adjusts the scale accordingly.

I've added an external antenna at the rear of the tug to pick up the signal from the van tyres properly.

Rendaz

Nov 15, 2016
Sydney
With an ambient temp of around 30 deg if your tyre pressure increases 4 -6 psi all is good, if they go higher your cold pressure is too low, if it only increases below 4 then too high........thats the general rule of thumb...
If its going to be getting to near 40 deg outside then lower the pressure, running at too high pressure and high temp will pop your tyre quick smart.

This link is an excellant site to get your pressure correct https://caravanchronicles.com/guides/calculate-the-correct-tyre-pressure-for-your-caravan/
The pressures on the compliance plate are a guess just like the weights............depending on tyre size and load ratings, your pressures may not be the same as someone else's.
I travel with a repair kit as well as tyre levers, while I will plug a tyre the levers are when I'm up the creek, a last resort.

Going by the chart i get a figure of 39 psi, maybe this is also worthy of a try this holidays. Will also try 50psi as well to see what that effect has.

Reactions: Drover

nihonjin

Jun 19, 2016
Brisbane
Hope you dont mind if I jump in with my own question but I have a 16.49.1 with 195/70R15 LT tyres on and on the tyre it says not to inflate beyond 40psi it also says it has a max capacity of 65psi. My compliance plate says the tyre pressure should be at cold 400kpa or 58psi. So what tyre pressure should i be using?

thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drover

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Agreed but on the tyre it says max psi of 65 and yet it says do not inflate over 44. I was thinking of having 40 psi at cold. thoughts?

I just had a look at mine, and it states not to inflate over 40psi to seat the bead, otherwise states max load at 65psi.

I run 40psi cold and watching them today they were quite hot at 66c but didn't go over 45psi

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I would go by what the link I put in earlier post reckons, ignore the compliance plate it is a guess......your tyre should have 2 max pressure tabs, for single or dual, I can't imagine a do not inflate over 40 psi on a LT tyre......pics ????

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I think most are but when you think about what the van weighs and compare it to a 4x4 say, it's about the same..........of course tyre size and LR make things differn't for each set up............................more accurate than whats on the compliance plate.

Reactions: Hubble80