16' Series Tyre advice Please.

Notreve76

Jan 20, 2018
Perth
Hi Guys
Recently bought a 2008 16". The guy said the tyres are the originals from new. My question is should I change them anyway despite them have very little wear on them? Also it was stored in big she'd so hasn't been out in the sun etc. Im thinking myself maybe should get them done as I know the rubber can deteriorate. Any thoughts guys?
Cheers

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
For the relatively small price I would change them. Small price to pay to be safe plus you would probably change them in the next 2-3 years anyway.

Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
That makes them 10 yrs old at least, you can check the date by having a look at this site http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html and getting some good info,

on the side of your tyres is a 4 digit code, if the number is less than 0512 then they are tooo old, I suspect they will be..........

I would replace them with a full set of new rubber and to get the max life out of them go for a quality brand instead of a generic brand which while cheaper may not give the 6 or 7 years of life, van tyres actually need to be good quality as they spend a lot of time hanging around and not so many miles.......a set of highway pattern is far better than an aggressive tread, less wear and tear with highway pattern as the tyre is just rolling along not supplying any drive so traction isn't a need......My old Tardis sat in a shed for 3 yrs before I bought it, had travelled 600kms and still had the nipples on the tyres, I changed them within 12 mths as they seemed to be a bit hard......While Big Mals hit 6 yrs and while having a good bit of tread left I swapped the Wranglers for a set of Geolanders, will get plenty of years out of them and bought on a 4 for price of 3 offer so saved heaps for an excellant quality tyre..........................................you could also use this to get a slightly larger tyre to give a bit more clearance as well.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
what he said...........

good idea to change them to new tyres, also get best quality, cheap is nice
(until you have to change a tyre at night on the way home from a trip and its raining and your tired......)
just saying.........

my experience has always been
"save a dollar - it will always cost 10 down the road"

Reactions: Drover