16' Series TV antenna removal

2slow

Jul 20, 2018
Gawler SA
Hi, Was just wondering if anyone removes their roof mounted TV antenna when travelling on dirt roads. We've never had a tv or obviously an antenna before and we are about to hit a million corrugations on the Birdsville and Strezlecki tracks and I had considered removing the antenna rather than having it tap, tap, tap away on the van roof. Probably worrying about nothing but just curious. Antenna is a Wineguard
Regards,
Greg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Your aerial will be okay both types of Winegard should have a support block fitted to the roof for the end of the post, it's only a rubber door stop affair or like mine a huge moulded blob of silastic, (some idiot forgot to wind the aerial down and hit a wire so post was modified. ) if corrugations damage your aerial then a lot of other things will be in poor condition and it means your going too fast.
Removal is a pain anyway.

2slow

Jul 20, 2018
Gawler SA
Thanks fellas that's I needed to know.
Definitely wont be travelling too fast, 80kmph with a van is maximum for me on the best dirt roads.
In any case we're about to find out what does survive and what doesn't.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
1000s of km's on crappy roads and tracks, and no issues.

and thats just in Western Victoria...........................80kph on a dirt road, can't be a real dirt road in fact 80kph on a QLD country road can be a feat at times....lol,lol...

you'll be right just make sure the lid on the beetroot is firm.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crusty181