Hawk Trying to Sell Hawk

May 2, 2012
Outer East of Melbourne
Hi All,

I have been trying to sell my Outback Hawk to make room for the new Expander. After about 3 months I am still trying with very little interest. It is a 2009 Outback Hawk with all the standard stuff plus front, rear and side awnings. It also has a full annexe.

Do you guys think that a starting bid on eBay of $19,990 is to much or is it just that is is not the right time of year.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Scott

Ch00ka77

Apr 28, 2012
Maffra VIC
It sounds like a reasonable price as our 16 foot Expanda took 4 months and we finally sold it this week?? I was starting to wonder why it wouldn't sell and I contacted another guy on the net who was selling the same Van and he had forgotten his was for sale as his was on the market for the same time and hadn't received one phone call. I would put it down to the time of year and also the price for new Vans has not really gone up over the past few years either as this again wouldn't help your situation. Anyway good luck with the sale.

Greg

May 31, 2012
Blacksmiths NSW
Hi Tatong,
I have just sold a 2010 eagle tourer, it took about 6 weeks, I placed an add on the trading post, gumtree and every day I could I towed it down to the local highway and placed a for sale sign on it. I found I got the most replies off the trading post, after I sold the van I have had for calls asking if I still had the van, so a few people must have been watching waiting for me to drop the price. Yours seems to be fairly cheap for NSW prices, hang in there it will sell.

Greg

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
We sold our 2010 swan outback for 25000 about six months ago, it was on the market for about 5.5 months...

Biggest problem is they are fairly cheap brand new, so to sell them second hand for a good price they really need to have a good list of extra's..

Good luck mate

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
My opinion is with things like campers on ebay I just want to know how much it is "buy it now price" and not have to stuff around waiting/bidding only to be dissapointed a week later. Set a price and be warned the buyer will try and get you down. I see you have been trying on Trading Post etc so you probably can't do much more. In the past when we started looking at them, it was always after September. Keep trying.

With ebay, I think the starting bids have to be low to get it moving, once people bid, if they want it, a little thing in their head tells them to keep bidding. An example, I am a plumber and I wanted to sell an instant Howater I had. Buy it now of $300, no bids. Then tried with a starting bid of $5, it sold for $400. Vans are a real considered purchase so it may be different. It can also be a worry if you don't get a bid and your price is low.

Cheers Geoff

May 2, 2012
Outer East of Melbourne
Thanks guys for your thoughts.

I have tried auction with buy it now, buy it now with best offer and auction starting at $20,000. I am a bit scared to start the price to low as there seems to be very little interest and dont want to get stuck with one bid at a $16,000 starting bid. I think i will just keep it going at $20,000 untill i get a bid. I have untill mid sept for the expanda to arrive so hopefully i get a bid before then.

Thanks,

Scott

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
G'day Scott,

I'm in the same boat as you I have had our 16-49-1 OB on trading post now for about 70 days and not much interest as yet. The dealer in Gelong where we are getting our new one in September said that it's normal at this time of year and be patient as he believes I have priced right, but I really don't want 2 vans in front of my house! With eBay can't you set a reserve price? I know you used to be able to, then you can start off with a low price and be safe. Anyway good luck!

Cheers.

ragracing

Jan 30, 2012
Petrie Qld
Hi guys,

On eBay, Cars and Caravans you can set a reserve price so it won't sell for some ridiculously low price.

I have just sold my Swan and it took about 6 weeks to do it, I had it advertised on Caravan and Camping Sales and did put it up on eBay with a starting price of $1 and set my reserve.

It was up to $12,000 after 4 days when it was sold from Caravan and Camping Sales, but I did have someone put in a bid of $1 about 2 minutes after the eBay auction started.

Good luck with your sales everyone
Duncan

May 2, 2012
Outer East of Melbourne
With another unsucessful ebay ad down, i have now relisted as a $1.00 auction with a reserve. I recived a bid for $500.00 within 5mins and am sitting on $2250 now. The action only started at 9:30 last night.

I hope it sells this time. The expznda is all signed off now and will be ready for pickup mid September.

bully66672

Jun 30, 2011
Melbourne
I had mine advertised on caravan trader.
Took about 10-12 weeks.
You will sell but don't forget it's tax time and things slow a little.

Cheers

Feldty

May 31, 2012
Wangaratta, Vic
Hi Tatong.

We sold our 2011 Swan from an add placed on the Trading post online and found that we got more genuine contact from this add. It took around 6 - 8 weeks to sell and because of that we actually received our money back meaning it cost us nothing to place the add in the end. We had it on e-bay as well and only seemed to get tyre kickers making contact. We ended up getting 25K for ours which I thought was O.K.

I would have thought that 19,900 would be a reasonable price. I think you should start to get some movement on it from now on as the weather starts to warm up.

Good Luck

Kev

May 2, 2012
Outer East of Melbourne
Woo Hoo!:clap2: Finally sold the camper today.

After 4 Ebay adds, with most recent ending at 9:00 last night and 137 days on the trading post. The winner was The Trading Post. Only replys or bids i got from the Ebay were way below reserve/asking price. Mostly just people trying to get a bargain. Not to sure what experiances other people have had with Ebay but I felt that serious buyers at the price range I needed were not there. Funniest thing was that the people that bought it came from within 20 klms from where I live.

Now I can sit back and relax while I wait the final 4 - 6 Weeks for the 16.49.4 Expanda to arrive. No more stressing about the camper selling!

Thanks all for your previous feedback regarding the sale.

Scott

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Well done.

Hope you got close to your asking price.

When we went to the Expanda from our Eagle we did it as a trade with the dealer. Suited us as we could still use the Eagle right up to change over and the price was good.

Horses for Courses though.

OZSHEP

Oct 5, 2012
Sandhurst Melbourne
We put our 2nd hand Hawk on Ebay and had it sold in 12 hrs!! Couldn't believe it! it was 2007 model and sold for $17,500, same price we paid for it a year earlier. We sold it during the last 2 weeks of Xmas school hols. It sold to a school teacher who wanted to take his kids away for the remaining hols. His only stipulation was that the van was clean and ready to go! He basically picked it up, packed it and left for a holiday!. :biggrin: Made us wonder if we didnt charge enough? But we got back what we paid for it , so all was good.

May 2, 2012
Outer East of Melbourne
I did not quite get what I was hoping for but got a lot more than offered at trade in. Not to sure what the second hand market is like now but was very happy to have it gone as we now have the Expanda. I did see a comment on another forum that some dealers at Melbourne leisurefest were not interested in making a deal on a new van if a trade in was required.

Reactions: Leechy