Mite as well delete this thread its gone very stale

greynt

Dec 15, 2012
Yarra Valley
I'd look for a booking in Broome asap. I was chatting to a rellie who spends a month in Broome each year and has a regular booking. He said they're very fully booked.

I know when we went there years ago we had to line up outside a caravan park and wait till someone left.

It's a great place to visit but not if you have difficulty getting a spot.

It may have improved and they may created some overflow accommodation but I'd be careful.

We stayed in Broome last year, peak season, and stayed at the SDA(Seventh Day Adventist) overflow park on advice from a fellow traveller in Alice Springs.
For us it was worth it @ $35 p/n for a powered site for family of 4. The sites were cozy, but that didn't bother us as we were out most of the time anyway. They have a maximum of 7 nights as well.
No playground or swimming pool, facilities were basic but neat, clean and well maintained. We had to call each day to see if there was availability as they cannot take bookings. We were catching up with friends so it didn't bother us waiting a couple of days.
They say to book ahead, but on coming back from Cape Leveque, we managed to get a powered site at Cable Beach caravan park for the same day after trying a couple of other places.

megcam

We're planning on doing this in the June/July school holidays :D

junejuly.JPG

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
well, we have

this weekend - 4WD club trip to old Grimwade Town Settlement - not sure if I will go for a day, or the weekend......
Easter at Toodyay
something in June - not sure yet
Great Aussie Cookup at Dwellingup in Aug - http://www.campovencookup.com.au/event-details/
(great idea for all................)
something in early October (special anniversary)
Xmas in Busselton

plus a heap of offers I am still trying to decide on

Cammo

Oct 3, 2015
Melbourne
We stayed in Broome last year, peak season, and stayed at the SDA(Seventh Day Adventist) overflow park on advice from a fellow traveller in Alice Springs.
For us it was worth it @ $35 p/n for a powered site for family of 4. The sites were cozy, but that didn't bother us as we were out most of the time anyway. They have a maximum of 7 nights as well.
No playground or swimming pool, facilities were basic but neat, clean and well maintained. We had to call each day to see if there was availability as they cannot take bookings. We were catching up with friends so it didn't bother us waiting a couple of days.
They say to book ahead, but on coming back from Cape Leveque, we managed to get a powered site at Cable Beach caravan park for the same day after trying a couple of other places.
I have looked at reviews on Cable Beach caravan park with some saying fantastic and some no so.
What was your thoughts of the park?

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
OOPS... Forgot to mention that one as well :oops:

great aussie cook up now that sounds good don't eat to much boys every kilo you pay for in petrol or diesel and we don't want to over weight with the gvm of the car :behindsofa:

cheeky sod............................

oh, hang on, I dont have to worry about GMV's and all that, I have a real car that will tow 3500kgs.................:behindsofa:

Reactions: Bluey and dagree

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I'd look for a booking in Broome asap. I was chatting to a rellie who spends a month in Broome each year and has a regular booking. He said they're very fully booked.
We got into Cable Beach caravan park twice easily in July/August last year. First time 4 nights, then Quondong Point for 2 nights then decided to head back into Cable Beach CP again for 3 nights.

They seem to always allow for the drive in campers (our experience anyway and talking to others) get there around 830am first as others are checking out :)

Have fun @Cammo

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
  1. I did the Plenty Hwy 15 years ago with a Camry towing a camper trailer in company with a Troopy and a Mazda Bravo both with trailers and the Camry was the only vehicle to do to do the trip with no punctures. Sorry, no idea what it is currently like.

Reactions: 12Enjoy and bigcol

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
So far we have :
Coral bay this April school holidays
June 30 we are doing our drive across the top , which is ending up being a 14 week jaunt around the country. (Figured we had better come back)
And we have booked for coral bay for next year.
Hoping to try out fontys pool too at some stage, and take the puppy for her first trip.

I have tried to get in to Broome for July for a night or 2 before we tackle the gibb, but no go. So, it looks like we will by pass. Bummer, as cable beach park was lovely. We enjoyed it a lot.

Reactions: Bluey and bigcol

12Enjoy

Jul 26, 2015
Mareeba North Queensland
Just planning a short trip in June/July. We will have about 4 weeks. Anyone done any of the trip on the plenty h/way, Alice, SA area and back up. Only a few ways in and out of Mareeba so full noise on all these roads.
View attachment 39382
Next draft might be go in down the Oodnadatta track to Maree and up to Birdsville as all the rest can be cut off into another trip. Any one done the Oodnadatta or Birdsville track in there van. I'm sure it would be up to it but haven't really tested it yet?

Reactions: Bluey

Cammo

Oct 3, 2015
Melbourne
We got into Cable Beach caravan park twice easily in July/August last year. First time 4 nights, then Quondong Point for 2 nights then decided to head back into Cable Beach CP again for 3 nights.

They seem to always allow for the drive in campers (our experience anyway and talking to others) get there around 830am first as others are checking out :)

Have fun @Cammo
Thanks Cruza driver yes we can't wait as its our first big trip.
We are keen on doing Gibb River Rd also but we check road conditions when we get closer.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
@Bluey I think your right. June July should be ok but they do get winter rain at times. I know one thing it will be freezing :eek-53:
The Oodnadatta trk was no dramas for us towing the van, just make sure you slow down to enjoy everything it offers. There is so much history along there.

The usual rock protection and second spare is requiered though for extra insurance.