Travel covers for side vents

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Have been looking for some covers to go over the various side vents on the 17.56-2 OB for when we do dusty dirt roads/tracks. The objective is to cut down the about of dust that gets in and the subsequent cleaning!

I was thinking of running white velcro strips - not dots - around the various vents and then using DIY clear PVC or white trucking tarp patches with velcro to go over the vents. This would be used only when travelling - removed when ready to set up.

What might be the issues with the fridge venting? Should we leave a little area exposed to keep cooling?

Have anyone made their own and how did they go?

Reactions: gwadir

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Have been looking for some covers to go over the various side vents on the 17.56-2 OB for when we do dusty dirt roads/tracks. The objective is to cut down the about of dust that gets in and the subsequent cleaning!

I was thinking of running white velcro strips - not dots - around the various vents and then using DIY clear PVC or white trucking tarp patches with velcro to go over the vents. This would be used only when travelling - removed when ready to set up.

What might be the issues with the fridge venting? Should we leave a little area exposed to keep cooling?

Have anyone made their own and how did they go?
Hi ROnEM,

I made a set up just before our big trip last year, made them out of clear PVC I got from Bunnings and stick on Velcro, hook side on the vents and loop side on the PVC covers, worked a treat, kept the dust out and easy to install & remove. I'll try and get some pics today for you.

Dave

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi Ronem,
Same as dave here, ordered the Velcro from a mob online called Zelfast, got stick on for the van (19mm hook) and sowed it onto the clear plastic (25mm loop). Clear plastic was from bunnings. Worked a treat for us. We were traveling in winter so we turned the fridge off whilst travelling and covered all the vents. The Velcro is industrial strength, really grabs hold.

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/hms-central-australia-trip.3136/page-2

Last edited:

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
If you have a 3 way fridge, even if you run it on 12 volts you will have to keep top and bottom vents clear if you plan to run it while driving. That's how I would see it. If you have it turned off that would be different.

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Hi ROnEM,

Here are the photos, I've only shown one of the fridge covers but I had covers for both the upper and lower vents and had no problems running the fridge with the covers fitted, the only one I didn't cover was the fridge chimney vent in photo 3. By the way, I got my Velcro from Zelfast as well, just Google'd them on the net.

Dave

Attachments

• photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    767.4 KB · Views: 317
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    518.3 KB · Views: 342
  • photo3.JPG
    photo3.JPG
    449.8 KB · Views: 317
  • photo4.JPG
    photo4.JPG
    503.4 KB · Views: 327

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
I bought my plastic and Velcro from the reject shop, worked a treat. Remember to seal under the back of the van, where the fibreglass meets the chassis, plenty of dust gets in there.

Reactions: ROnEM

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
I would love to make a van pressurising system - a blower fan with filtered intake and ducted into the van to pressurise the whole van. Voila, no more dust, just like putting your tug A/C on fresh air. Just how to do it without looking like its growing a second van out of itself is the problem!

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
I would love to make a van pressurising system - a blower fan with filtered intake and ducted into the van to pressurise the whole van. Voila, no more dust, just like putting your tug A/C on fresh air. Just how to do it without looking like its growing a second van out of itself is the problem!
A Scupper vent in the roof with a foam filter.

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
I was thinking along those lines... I even know where theres about a thousand bloody air con filters which would be perfect... but for lower speeds eg corregates, the intake would possibly be insufficient.. at speed they would be perfect though!

Plus i could tell all the young fellas theres a supercharger under the lid ;)

Reactions: crackacoldie

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
Nice 351 shaker top would do ;)

I might be onto something here!

Step 1- cut hole in roof.
Step 2- mount roots style supercharger to roof.
Step 3- fit 12v motor to blower drive.
Step 4- fit air filter and scoop on top of blower.

No more dust, verrrrrrrrrrrry cool van!