Electrical Tow-Pro Calibration

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Thank you both @Pace and @Bellbirdweb . Ours does look like that one. Am very happy to hear it is esc compatible . Was getting concerned seeing as though our esc stopped working almost 1 week after picking up the panda wagon and reading that list of compatability.​

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I am biased as I work at Redarc in Lonsdale and I build the Towpro but for me, it's the only brake controller I would install

So I used the Towpro for the first time this weekend, and after about 2km running in Auto mode, I noticed the light start blinking Orange once and purple 4 times, and it was back in a manual mode.

Looked up the manual and it said it was some sort of "limp" mode.

Pulled over and checked/disconnected the 12 pin plug (brakes were still working but no inertia operation), but it stayed this way for 200km.

After we set up at the park, I tried reconnecting the plug to the car again after it had been off for a while, and it want back to normal mode.

Any ideas what might have caused it to go 'limp' as it were ?

Towing back from Kiama to Sydney it stayed in auto and worked perfectly all the way home.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
@Bellbirdweb that sounds like the same issue my mate had, contact Redarc they will fix it. There has been a few issues but they are updating them. Even the calabration sequence is gig to be retuned to be a little less aggressive.

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

Mustang

Feb 16, 2015
Melbourne Bayside
Hi all- I was just at the auto-elec the other day (on my way to finalising the new van purchase!) and he recommended the tow-pro...said he used it himself.. I took a snapshot of the box to research it further.. How much are people paying for this installed?

image.jpgimage.jpg

Mustang

Feb 16, 2015
Melbourne Bayside
Free sounds good!! Haha...thanks folks...I think I was quoted around $600 fitted... I'll prolly get him to put in some sort of switch before the 12 pin plug so I can turn the ESC off when I take it off the bitumen... Has anyone else done this?

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Free sounds good!! Haha...thanks folks...I think I was quoted around $600 fitted... I'll prolly get him to put in some sort of switch before the 12 pin plug so I can turn the ESC off when I take it off the bitumen... Has anyone else done this?

I just spent quite a bit of time slipping and sliding around in the mud with the van attached. My ESC is on all the time and didn't cause any issues.

I wouldn't turn it off at all myself.

Jenee and Ev

Apr 14, 2015
Perth
Got mine fitted for $720 including an anderson plug and an isolator switch.

Used it for the first time on the weekend and worked perfectly.

Curryhouse

Apr 8, 2012
Newcastle
Had system fitted by an auto elec together with other wiring work. Just returned from our first trip with a tow-pro fitted to the new Prado. Initially I couldn't get the system to change from manual to auto mode. System worked well in manual mode. On investigation, I found the knob had been pushed on too far and was preventing the needed 'double click' to change modes. Adjusted the knob position on the shaft and all was good. Photo shows chosen location in Prado. Only problem is that I have to look around the steering wheel to check light status. I plan to change its location to the right hand blank position so only a quick glance down is needed to check brake operation.
Tow-pro.jpg

Last edited:

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Had system fitted by an auto elec together with other wiring work. Just returned from our first trip with a tow-pro fitted to the new Prado. Initially I couldn't get the system to change from manual to auto mode. System worked well in manual mode. On investigation, I found the knob had been pushed on too far and was preventing the needed 'double click' to change modes. Adjusted the knob position on the shaft and all was good. Photo shows chosen location in Prado. Only problem is that I have to look around the steering wheel to check light status. I plan to change its location to the right hand blank position so only a quick glance down is needed to check break operation.
View attachment 32892

was it fitted there, because of the other switches at the bottom - sort of like, knob on the outside, but bigger unit behind...????????

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
was it fitted there, because of the other switches at the bottom - sort of like, knob on the outside, but bigger unit behind...????????

The switch is separate from the controller unit. There's around 30cm of wire between them. It lets you mount the actual unit up out of the way.

Reactions: bigcol